OTA/Minicamp Stories and Such

My only issue with signing a real established EDGE guy is they probably won’t be ST players. Houston and Ingram definitely aren’t. I guess that would just keep Highsmith’s ST snaps fairly high, which isn’t the worst thing in the world. Plus, it’s not the worst thing in the world to allow a guy to have plenty of time to settle into the defense. Not everyone is TJ Watt. I’d like to see them sign Hooker and Houston(or Ingram, but Houston is my preference). They’d need some fancy cap work to make it happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, August4th said:

the whole plan of using Juju like he's Ryan switzer should be over

While I agree, that was partly on Ben.    

If we cant push the ball down the field with more accuracy this year, its going to once again limit our WRs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, August4th said:

hopefully Ray-ray and McFarland become role players in this offense. They will add much needed "gamebreaking" speed to the unit

This is an interesting article. I'd love to see Ray-Ray in the slot. We don't really have a slot capable guy with his potential skill set. It does beg the question, who do you take off the field for Ray-Ray? I'm not taking JuJu, Chase, or Diontae off the field for Ray-Ray. Maybe some 4 WR sets? I really hope Canada gets creative with it because we have too many skill guys to be boring. Imagine a 4 WR set with Ray-Ray in there and McFarland as the back? That would be some home run speed. 

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see how the receiver snaps go this year. As someone mentioned, you never really want to take Dionte, Juju, or Claypool off the field. Then you maybe want to throw Ray Ray in for a few plays, what does that leave  for James Washington? Barring an injury, there won’t be enough for everyone.

How much cap we would save by trading JW?

13 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

It will be interesting to see how the receiver snaps go this year. As someone mentioned, you never really want to take Dionte, Juju, or Claypool off the field. Then you maybe want to throw Ray Ray in for a few plays, what does that leave  for James Washington? Barring an injury, there won’t be enough for everyone.

How much cap we would save by trading JW?

Not much. I think we’re gonna see a camp trade involving one of these WRs TBH. I just don’t think there’s an obvious partner at this point along with value of the player being all over the place. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

Not much. I think we’re gonna see a camp trade involving one of these WRs TBH. I just don’t think there’s an obvious partner at this point along with value of the player being all over the place. 

Detroit, Atlanta, and maybe Chiefs are who I would think of as potential suitors for a WR trade.

15 hours ago, August4th said:

I'm excited by Pierre. He's what we hoped Layne would be with more speed and athleticism.
But man, I wish he'd change jersey numbers. Odd having a CB in 42.
R.Lott at safety maybe, but CB?

It means nothing until they start playing real football, but for someone who has had issues with the Randy/Ben offense for the last three years I do love what I’m hearing. 

Multiple. Pace. Matchup. Flexibility. Motion. Exploiting weakness. Even just offensive line focuses with physicality and speed.

This stuff might some basic, but it’s things we have largely been lacking on or missing completely over the past couple of years. 

Could never understand the lack of pace on a team with Ben Roethlisbeger who excels in no huddle and loves to do it. Why you can’t have green light/red light or scheduled times to do it has always confused me. Canada talked about using it with Ben now. 

Doesn’t matter if he can’t actually call plays at an NFL level or if some players don’t step up….but for where we are in the offseason I’m pretty pleased with what I hear. 

• Like 2

On 6/9/2021 at 12:34 PM, August4th said:

hopefully Ray-ray and McFarland become role players in this offense. They will add much needed "gamebreaking" speed to the unit

I think we are all looking forward to the possibilities with this speed in the offense. Hopefully the off season allows these two guys to develop "timing."

On 6/9/2021 at 12:36 PM, August4th said:

the whole plan of using Juju like he's Ryan Switzer should be over

I think they are waking up to the idea that Ray Ray would be best in that type of role in the slot than using a bigger player like Ju Ju.  Although Ju Ju is good there, I (personally) have always preferred him outside. The lack of an offseason hurt Ray Ray and McFarland as far getting both players acclimated to the offense (reps wise) and the different game speed of the NFL.  No OTA's, mini camp, or preseason games didn't help them in that regard. I am hoping for better things from both players on offense. I am also looking forward to seeing Matt Sexton compete with Ray Ray for KOR/PR duties. He is said to be another Switzer type as well, except much faster. I don't expect him to do anything on offense, but perhaps he could make it on special teams alone, if he is special in terms of in the return game and/or coverage. 

This might be the first time in almost a decade in which our offense has a "system." It seemed like Haley installed one when he got here. After Todd left it seemed like we just had a lackadaisical, broken version of Haley's scheme mixed with whatever plays Ben liked.  

• Like 2

would be cool to finally have a deadly screen game. Canada put together screen plays that got huge chunk of yards when he coached at Pitt. would even have fullbacks and tight ends ripping off 15-20 yards in open space. I think we have the skill guys to pull that off.