OTA/Minicamp Stories and Such

wp4263627.jpg

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2021/6/19/22541023/there-could-be-more-than-meets-the-eye-with-the-pittsburgh-steelers-and-david-decastro-trai-turner

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2021/6/18/22540755/pittsburgh-steelers-bring-in-a-former-pro-bowl-guard-for-a-visit-trai-turner-news-updates-offseason

These two articles from Dave Schofield got me thinking. I don't believe that anything happens out of accident (when it comes to players, NFL, and potential moves). Being a DeCastro fan, I am a bit sad. Seeing many of the players that formed the nucleus of this team leave or are gone is sad. What is sadder is that this very good group of players never brought home the ultimate prize (Lombardi #7 and realistically perhaps #8).  Lev Bell, AB, Pouncey, Sanders, Wallace, AV, Coach Mike Munchak, and so many other players and coaches.  

DeCastro has never been a player who said a whole lot or was extremely vocal. He is a silent assassin type (which is something that I have always admired about DeCastro). DeCastro let his play do the talking. He is one of the better more balanced NFL OG's. While he is not the most dominant run blocker or pass blocker, there are not many as good as he is at both. Save some bad matchups versus the Eagles Fletcher Cox, he has been one of the Steelers best lineman over his career. He is 31 and has been through nearly ten years of NFL battles, wars and the pounding on his body and mind.  DeCastro is and has been one of the Steelers best guards of all time.  After an off season, by his own standards, and the visit by a former pro bowler Trai Turner more questions come to mind. 

skysports-trai-turner-carolina-panthers-nfl_4006596.jpg?20170720210613

Big money and injuries could be the real reasons for leaving Panthers and the Chargers. Teams typically pay well for good OL's. Turner is known for being a powerful run blocker when healthy. He has struggled staying healthy somewhat and is not as strong in the pass blocking department. If healthy and at a decent salary, the Steelers could do far worse than Turner.  He would probably help upgrade the rushing attack being paired with Dotson. 

All things considered, I would prefer to keep DeCastro, but Turner would not be a bad plan B should DeCastro be hurt or considering calling it quits. Can Turner stay healthy himself? He has missed time the past several seasons as well (has not played a complete season since 2016).  I would prefer that the Steelers got some help on the edge, CB, and/or FS first.    However, if DeCastro is hurt, leaving, or up in the air, the starting ROG certainly becomes a priority. Typically where there is smoke, there is fire. I don't see this as the usual media drama and banter.  I hope that DD head, heart, and health are in it for the Steelers. I would love to see DD and Ben get that elusive #7 in Pittsburgh. It appears that the clock is striking 12 on many of the old guard (pardon the pun). 

13 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

wp4263627.jpg

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2021/6/19/22541023/there-could-be-more-than-meets-the-eye-with-the-pittsburgh-steelers-and-david-decastro-trai-turner

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2021/6/18/22540755/pittsburgh-steelers-bring-in-a-former-pro-bowl-guard-for-a-visit-trai-turner-news-updates-offseason

These two articles from Dave Schofield got me thinking. I don't believe that anything happens out of accident (when it comes to players, NFL, and potential moves). Being a DeCastro fan, I am a bit sad. Seeing many of the players that formed the nucleus of this team leave or are gone is sad. What is sadder is that this very good group of players never brought home the ultimate prize (Lombardi #7 and realistically perhaps #8).  Lev Bell, AB, Pouncey, Sanders, Wallace, AV, Coach Mike Munchak, and so many other players and coaches.  

DeCastro has never been a player who said a whole lot or was extremely vocal. He is a silent assassin type (which is something that I have always admired about DeCastro). DeCastro let his play do the talking. He is one of the better more balanced NFL OG's. While he is not the most dominant run blocker or pass blocker, there are not many as good as he is at both. Save some bad matchups versus the Eagles Fletcher Cox, he has been one of the Steelers best lineman over his career. He is 31 and has been through nearly ten years of NFL battles, wars and the pounding on his body and mind.  DeCastro is and has been one of the Steelers best guards of all time.  After an off season, by his own standards, and the visit by a former pro bowler Trai Turner more questions come to mind. 

skysports-trai-turner-carolina-panthers-nfl_4006596.jpg?20170720210613

Big money and injuries could be the real reasons for leaving Panthers and the Chargers. Teams typically pay well for good OL's. Turner is known for being a powerful run blocker when healthy. He has struggled staying healthy somewhat and is not as strong in the pass blocking department. If healthy and at a decent salary, the Steelers could do far worse than Turner.  He would probably help upgrade the rushing attack being paired with Dotson. 

All things considered, I would prefer to keep DeCastro, but Turner would not be a bad plan B should DeCastro be hurt or considering calling it quits. Can Turner stay healthy himself? He has missed time the past several seasons as well (has not played a complete season since 2016).  I would prefer that the Steelers got some help on the edge, CB, and/or FS first.    However, if DeCastro is hurt, leaving, or up in the air, the starting ROG certainly becomes a priority. Typically where there is smoke, there is fire. I don't see this as the usual media drama and banter.  I hope that DD head, heart, and health are in it for the Steelers. I would love to see DD and Ben get that elusive #7 in Pittsburgh. It appears that the clock is striking 12 on many of the old guard (pardon the pun). 

It's tough to know what's going on with DeCastro. He was hurt last year and played. He's been a great OG.
Either his injuries are worse than is out, or he's lost some of that drive you need. Turner would be great but he too
is often injured, which is why he's around. Not sure what's going, but there's a bit of smoke.

• Like 1

According to Prisuto, Antoine Brooks Jr. is the favorite to win the NCB spot. I hope he’s right. Brooks is one of my favorites. I assumed Pierre would be the guy to fill in for Hilton, but maybe they don’t want to move Sutton off of the boundary? Interesting to think about. 

The biggest knock of Brooks will be his coverage, but Hilton wasn’t that good in that department either. Heck, Brooks’ size might actually make him an improvement in terms of coverage over Hilton. I definitely wouldn’t be opposed to a dude like Brooks. I think he’s one of the only guys that will hit someone in the mouth out there(other than Vince), especially now that Bud is gone. Hilton was a hitter too, but he was so small. Either way, I’m excited to see what will shake out. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

According to Prisuto, Antoine Brooks Jr. is the favorite to win the NCB spot. I hope he’s right. Brooks is one of my favorites. I assumed Pierre would be the guy to fill in for Hilton, but maybe they don’t want to move Sutton off of the boundary? Interesting to think about. 

The biggest knock of Brooks will be his coverage, but Hilton wasn’t that good in that department either. Heck, Brooks’ size might actually make him an improvement in terms of coverage over Hilton. I definitely wouldn’t be opposed to a dude like Brooks. I think he’s one of the only guys that will hit someone in the mouth out there(other than Vince), especially now that Bud is gone. Hilton was a hitter too, but he was so small. Either way, I’m excited to see what will shake out. 

Brooks, Pierre and McFarland. if those guys become key contributors + claypool, Dotson and Highsmith don't have sophomore slumps. Last offseason would end being one best in the colbert era, when it comes to adding young talent. I'm excited about this young core we have, need some more youth in the trenches tho and a decent QB to add to it post-Ben 👀

• Like 1