SNF: Super Bowl rematch, Falcons at Patriots

titans0021

2 hours ago, Crickett said:

I have to mention: After last night's game, the Falcons' scoring offense has regressed to 16th in the NFL.  They were #1 in that department. 

An offense with 2016 MVP Matt Ryan, D'onta Foreman, Tevin Coleman, Jones, Sanu and Gabriel are putting up 21 points a game. 

I'd like to say the problem is Steve Sarkessian and to a major extent, it is.  But it's more than that.  For as talented as they are, Atlanta needed Kyle Shanahan to have that kind of success and he's gone.  He has been a much much bigger loss for the Falcons than he was a gain for the 49ers.  I fully expect him to be fired in two years.  Half the league should pray their team hires him to be offensive coordinator if that happens, because he's really good at that.  There are a lot of coaches out there that are great as offensive coordinators but not so good at being head coaches.  Romeo Crennell, Josh McDaniels, Wade Phillips and Hue Jackson are good examples of that.  I think Kyle Shanahan is too. 

They're not going to fire him in 2 years. He needs time to right the ship.

Just now, steadypimpin said:

They're not going to fire him in 2 years. He needs time to right the ship.

Well, when I say in 2 years, I mean during or after his third season.  Most coaches don't get more lead time than that to right a ship in the NFL, especially on a 49ers team that's on it's fourth coaching staff in four years. 

16 hours ago, Pats#1 said:

You think some of those missed throws were created by the defense getting some pressure and the secondary having good coverage? 

I don't think the defense got a ton of pressure. The Pats did have decent coverage, but a lot of it was just throws that were off the mark. Two overthrown corner endzone throws by Ryan in the 3rd quarter which led them to settle for a FG, which they missed. And then the underthrown ball to Jones on the 3rd down play at the goalline in the 4th quarter that allowed a trailing Butler to get his hand in.

So the shorthanded Patriots secondary definitely deserves some kudos, but Ryan just did not look very sharp to me.

8 hours ago, Crickett said:

I have to mention: After last night's game, the Falcons' scoring offense has regressed to 16th in the NFL.  They were #1 in that department. 

An offense with 2016 MVP Matt Ryan, D'onta Foreman, Tevin Coleman, Jones, Sanu and Gabriel are putting up 21 points a game. 

I'd like to say the problem is Steve Sarkessian and to a major extent, it is.  But it's more than that.  For as talented as they are, Atlanta needed Kyle Shanahan to have that kind of success and he's gone.  He has been a much much bigger loss for the Falcons than he was a gain for the 49ers.  I fully expect him to be fired in two years.  Half the league should pray their team hires him to be offensive coordinator if that happens, because he's really good at that.  There are a lot of coaches out there that are great as offensive coordinators but not so good at being head coaches.  Romeo Crennell, Josh McDaniels, Wade Phillips and Hue Jackson are good examples of that.  I think Kyle Shanahan is too. 

Devonta Freeman...lol 

7 hours ago, Crickett said:

Well, when I say in 2 years, I mean during or after his third season.  Most coaches don't get more lead time than that to right a ship in the NFL, especially on a 49ers team that's on it's fourth coaching staff in four years. 

I doubt it.  He and Lynch are both on 6 year deals.  I'd bet neither of them goes before the 5th year.

Archived