WR1 Tournament Round 2: DK Metcalf vs Keenan Allen

BayRaider

WR1 Tournament: DK Metcalf vs Keenan Allen  

45 members have voted

1. 1. WR1 Tournament: DK Metcalf vs Keenan Allen

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/03/2021 at 05:00 PM

DK Metcalf

Nov-30-2020-Philadelphia-Pennsylvania-US

vs

Keenan Allen

allen3.jpg

This will run for seven days and end June 3rd. For more information, check our the main Tournament Topic. There is no seeds and matchups were randomized. At the end of the Tournament, one man will be crowned FootballsFuture's Official Top WR in the NFL. 

Easily Metcalf for me here. Way more explosive, can take over a game, just an absolute insane freak. Needs to get more consistent catching those easier balls, but hopefully he improves that this year.

Allen is no slouch himself and has constantly been one of the best route runners in the league, and also a tough WR. However, I don't think he provides the explosiveness that DK does nor does he have DK's natural ability that he possesses. 

I’m going with Allen, and it’s because his route running sets apart from Metcalf. I personally want to see another year of elite production from Metcalf, but for this vote I think it can go either way it’s a close one. 

Not 100% sold on Metcalf yet as a top WR. Seemed his numbers took a pretty big dive from the 1st half of the season to the 2nd half. Had one game with 100+ receiving yards in the last 8 games of the season. In those 8 games he went over 75 yards just 2 times, and had only 2 touchdowns in that span. Need to see more consistency before I put him up with the top WR's even if he is an absolute freak of an athlete.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tyler735 said:

Not 100% sold on Metcalf yet as a top WR. Seemed his numbers took a pretty big dive from the 1st half of the season to the 2nd half. Had one game with 100+ receiving yards in the last 8 games of the season. In those 8 games he went over 75 yards just 2 times, and had only 2 touchdowns in that span. Need to see more consistency before I put him up with the top WR's even if he is an absolute freak of an athlete.

This was the entire offense though, not just Metcalf. Russ, Lockett, every single person on the offense took a huge decline in the second half of the season. It was mostly predictable play calling and the reason their OC got the axe. 

3 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

This was the entire offense though, not just Metcalf. Russ, Lockett, every single person on the offense took a huge decline in the second half of the season. It was mostly predictable play calling and the reason their OC got the axe. 

That's all fine and well, but it doesn't change the fact that he needs to prove it still. Looks like Metcalf's numbers were very similar to Lockett's in the 2nd half of the season. I certainly wouldn't consider Lockett for any of these votes, so I won't be voting for Metcalf this year. Most of these other WR's have shown they can consistently get it done. Maybe the conversation changes after this season with Metcalf, but until then, I'm going Allen on this one.

Edited by tyler735

13 hours ago, Danger said:

How is this one even close?

It's DK without a shadow of a doubt.

I think one of the key disadvantages for Metcalf is there is only one Seahawk fan on the entire board, the least of any fan base, and he probably won’t even vote in this. Every other participant gets the automatic 5 homer votes (although I wish this wouldn’t happen). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Always thought there were more Seahawks fans than Chargers fans on this board tbh

Not even close lol. There is at least 6-7 Charger fans. Kyle, Xenos, Bearer, kramxel, Chargers, Oregon Ducks, and more. 

Only Seahawk fan I ever see is showtime and he’s in the video game section 99% of the time. 

You’re thinking of real life where Seahawk fans definitely outnumber Charger fans. 

Edited by BayRaider

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Not even close lol. There is at least 6-7 Charger fans. Kyle, Xenos, Bearer, kramxel, Chargers, Oregon Ducks, and more. 

Only Seahawk fan I ever see is showtime and he’s in the video game section 99% of the time. 

You’re thinking of real life where Seahawk fans definitely outnumber Charger fans. 

Or in real life and on here as well lol. The Seahawks sub is much more active on here. 

Regardless, maybe people in general on this forum just think Keenan Allen is the better WR?

7 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Or in real life and on here as well lol. The Seahawks sub is much more active on here. 

Those seven Charger posters post in NFL General and NFL Comparisons frequently. None of the Seattle fans do.

Plus a lot of the Seahawks subforum is just showtime and RaidersAreOne making threads. 

Edited by BayRaider

I don’t view this as particularly close.

Keenan Allen’s best season had him reach 1393 yds and 6 TDs. That was his age 25 season.

Metcalf hit the ground running as a rookie and just put up 1303 yds and 10 TDs. He’s still not at the typical WR peak age either.

Also the arguments for Metcalf having slowed down the second half of the season are IMO simply indicative of the reason this isn’t close. If he doesn’t slow down, he’s hitting Julio/Megatron type 1600-1700 yds type numbers.

Allen being consistent and largely getting me 1100 receiving yards and 5-6 TDs isn’t better than DK being inconsistent yet still giving me nearly double the TD production and more yards.

There are a number of WRs that can duplicate results similar to Allen, such as a Chris Godwin or Calvin Ridley, etc. Yet the number of receivers in the league who can do what DK does is far shorter IMO. This is quite easily, for me, a no contest KO.

• Like 3