BENGALS UP/DOWN

JDLefebvre

UPS

-Team came ready to go today.   Games like this we seem to lose focus in.

-Nice halftime adjustments, especially on defense.

-Bell is too good.

-Ben continues to look better.

-No injuries.

-DEFENSE!!!!!   Until I looked into it, I didnt realize how young this defense is.   Lots of room to grow.   Watt looking like he could be a huge asset, and he is still learning.   Dupree and Shazier are super fast.    Haden has been excellent IMO....I still remember Clowns fans laughing at us when we signed him....enjoy your 0 wins....same old Cleveland Stains.

DOWNS

-Player (particularly RB) management.    Stop running Bell into the ground.   There is no reason for it.   There is no reason Conner cant take 10 of those carries.   If you dont trust him, then why the hell did you draft him in the 3rd ******* round!!!!?

-3rd and short ineptitude.   Some of it is execution...most of it is stupid, laughably predictable playcalling.   You have 8 in the freaking box on 3rd and 1 and the same formation, and then proceed to do the exact same thing every time.     This isnt about strategy....its simply common sense....something Haley and even Tomlin seem to lack quite often.

-Refs werent TOO bad, but they werent great either.   Most were missed calls....but Id rather have that then a ton of petty, tacky calls.    

Overall, I cant complain too much.    My main frustration was the aforementioned lack of common sense regarding both the RBs and playcalling....but what else is new?  

My opinions

UP

Haden. He played like a true elite corner today. 

Bell. Doesn't need much explaining.

JuJu. Progressing quick. Also, I look forward to his future TD celebrations.

Defense for stepping it up in the second half

We're now #1 in the AFC!

DOWN

Bryant. Where was he today?

Red Zone Offense. Too much talent not to get into that end zone.

Not sure what else to say for this one. 

UPS:

Fake punt goodness

Defense sacking Dalton's dreams

Turnover battle looking good

Bell dominating

Early offensive running smooth

DOWNS:

Ben still overthrowing TDs

Red zone offense

Stealing a 6th field goal from Bozwell

Bengals kneeling out a loss (Wtf is that)

1 minute ago, August4th said:

DOWN

1st half defense

2nd half offense

If you ask me, both of those downs came down to being too conservative and predictable.    When the defense starting playing more aggressive and physical....it dominated.   When our offense started playing Cowher ball....the offense stymied.     

Up

BigBen-  a mixed bag, but more up than down.  The up were intermediate throws were on the money and well placed.  down was continued terrible deep balls, and inability to audible to better plays on 3rd down and in the RZ.

LB's not named Fort/Williams.  Nice pressure, mostly good pursuit and run angles.

CBs.  Kept Green mostly contained, which neutered the Bengals offense.

Defensive scheme- nice and aggressive, the way it should be.

Team as a whole- not retaliating against Burfict and the Bengals BS

OL- good run blocking except for AV for the most part.  Interior OL great job in pass protection. 

Down

Tomlin- more insane blunders and lack of awareness. Continues to keep Haley employed.

Haley- terrible situational awareness. Grinding players and plays into the ground

Mike Mitchell- useless play, useless attitude. Infecting others on the team.

V Williams- infected with Mitchellism.

Refs- not ejecting Burfict

Bryant- either get your head back in the game or GTFO

3 minutes ago, August4th said:

another down is our inability to get Bryant going... he used to be good for one big play a game but now he's putting up jesse james numbers wth

Well, some of that is on Ben and Haley.

Ben missed Bryant on 3 or 4 deep balls early in the year, and then after some bad outings, they seem to want to run the ball alot more....which I dont mind aside from the fact that they are working Bell too hard.

Im hoping before the end of the season, they can get that going.   If we had our run game, our deep game and our defense all playing at a high level, we would be incredibly hard to beat for any team.  

2 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Ben missed Bryant on 3 or 4 deep balls early in the year, and then after some bad outings, they seem to want to run the ball alot more....which I dont mind aside from the fact that they are working Bell too hard.

Im hoping before the end of the season, they can get that going.   If we had our run game, our deep game and our defense all playing at a high level, we would be incredibly hard to beat for any team.  

It should not be difficult to try and get him touches

1) out of a bunch type set behind JJSS on a slant/post  type route where he catches an easy pass in stride @ full speed

2) on fade routes in the RZ  (instead of settling for FGs after running into the line out of power sets over and over)

if neither of those get him going again, stick a fork in him.

1 minute ago, FourThreeMafia said:

yeah.. I blame all involved in his lack of production(Bryant, ben and haley) . just annoying knowing what he did against that great 2015 Denver defense without brown(9 rec 154) only to see him produce like some rookie right now...  hoping its rust from being out a yr ...maybe we'll see him start getting more chunk plays later in the yr

2 minutes ago, August4th said:

yeah.. I blame all involved in his lack of production(Bryant, ben and haley) . just annoying knowing what he did against that great 2015 Denver defense without brown(9 rec 154) only to see him produce like some rookie right now...  hoping its rust from being out a yr ...maybe we'll see him start getting more chunk plays later in the yr

I will say that he looks a step slower.....maybe due to his muscle gain.   He cant still fly....but even a slight slowdown can be noticeable.   

Again, its not all him, though.

Archived