BENGALS UP/DOWN

JDLefebvre

39 minutes ago, August4th said:

also heard all offseason how he put on a good amount of muscle ... does't look like it though, he goes down so easy for a 6'5 220 pound guy and maybe that weight is slowing him down

maybe he has the same trainer timmons had a while back. Remember when timmons lost  his speed? Bryant is expendable without his speed. Might as well put DHB in there, because I think his speed is better (unless he was in that race that shazier won :o

3 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

maybe he has the same trainer timmons had a while back. Remember when timmons lost  his speed? Bryant is expendable without his speed. Might as well put DHB in there, because I think his speed is better (unless he was in that race that shazier won :o

The problem with Bryant is not his speed.  He's plenty fast.  The problem is in how he is being used.  For him to be effective, he needs to be at full speed with the ball in his hands, whether that means a long ball, a crossing route or a reverse, he's got to be moving to be at his best.  Bubble screens and shorter routes with stops and starts aren't going to get it done.

UP:

Ben was much better today

Bell was a stud.  

Defense is definitely coming on strong.  I saw they were rated #19 by some idiot "expert" this week, and I dove into the stats and they're clearly a top 5 D statistically and by the eyeball test as well....when healthy. 

Watt is going to be a stud.  He's turning into the player I saw more often in college now....just took him a while to get acclimated.  Dupree stepping up as well giving the Steelers 2 good young OLBs that can do a bit of everything.  

No injuries

Getting Joe Haden!

Boswell is  a stud.  So glad we don't have the hand dryer destroyer still!  Hated that guy!  

JuJu made some plays and didn't get called for holding at all that I recall (a first for him I think)

DOWN:

Bryant did basically nothing and was lost on one play that was a likely TD if he opened his eyes.

Refs let Brown get mauled a few times.

Way too many FGs instead of converting to TDs

No Tuitt still.  Just imagine how dominant the D would've been today if they'd had him.  

I'll try not to repeat what has already been posted:

UP

Steelers convincingly beat a division foe, which I thought would be their closest competition in the division.

DOWN

Failure to score TDs in the red zone (I know, this has been posted.  But, IMO, its the most glaring and serious problem, and it will be the reason that the Steelers do not beat the Pats (assuming the Steelers do not fix this problem).

Failure to run (or pass) for 1st downs when only short yardage is needed.

Its funny (or sad) that the divisional foe to give us the most problems thus far was the Browns.

Ravens on the road and Bengals at home....both convincing wins for us.

It was the first game though....so that may have played a part.

11 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Its funny (or sad) that the divisional foe to give us the most problems thus far was the Browns.

Ravens on the road and Bengals at home....both convincing wins for us.

It was the first game though....so that may have played a part.

I think a lot of that was the Browns were all new.  A weird scheme.  They were also a lot better than expected on D.  Then you get into the rust not being knocked off of Brown and the others yet.  Things just were not clicking at all back then.  I don't think it mattered who they played.  Probably just got lucky they played the JV squad for a gimme win when they would've had a hard time beating a decent team when they were so out of sync.  

Overall, I was pleased with the win. The team did not lose focus or come out flat as they have in the past for these games. This team still baffles me at how hard it seems for them to put it all together. The positive was that when the defense struggled early, the offense kept the foot on the gas.  Then in the second half, when the red zone and short yardage offense bogged down, the defense stepped up. That is team football, but I still look forward to the days when this team can put it all together and play like the force that they are capable of playing.

Ups:

1. The distant cousin Killer B (Boswell) LOL  - - He again comes up big and does what he is supposed to do when called upon.

2. Bell - - Starting to look like the Bell that we all are accustomed to. The reception, broken tackles, stiff arm and YAC play was a thing of absolute beauty.

3. Big Ben - - Played his best game of the year. The offense bogging down in the red zone and short yardage was not his fault. Threw good passes and his misses where typically because of pressure or getting hit. 

4. The OL - - They have not garnered a lot of love this year, but for the second straight week had a solid performance despite missing arguably, their most complete OL in OT Marcus Gilbert.

5. The Defense - - Our defense is pretty darn good.  The mistakes made against Chicago and Jacksonville are more from execution and discipline than a lack of talent and depth. Great effort and outstanding adjustments shutting down and shutting out a hot Bengals offense.  The pass rush is legitimate often getting pressure rushing four.  While our defense is young and inexperienced in some positions, they typically play hard.  Bud, TJ, Chickello, and Debo can all get after the QB. It makes our secondary stronger as well.

Downs:

1. Short yardage offense & red zone offense - - The offense is still lacking that killer instinct to put teams away. The talent is matching the results. Many of us believe that this should be the most potent and talented offense in the NFL, but they are not because they cannot convert on third downs or in the redzone.  The team was 2/11 in third down conversions and 1/3 on fourth down conversions. They settled for five Boswell FG's. The team was 1/6 in redzone efficiency and 1/3 on goal line efficiency.  They have to improve in this area. I do not believe that they converted a third down the entire second half and the passing game bogged down after nearly 200 yards in the first half.

2. The refs - - OMG did they miss some cheap shots.  I realize how difficult it is to be a ref, but some of these calls are easy.  The inconsistency is what gets my goat.  They missed Burfect kicking a player in the face on the ground and Fisher hitting Davis well after the play was over. It looks bad and sends a horrible message, when they then throw a flag for a hard hit.  I don't know what the solution is, but this makes the league and the game look hypocritical and bad.

3. Todd Haley - - He is the brunt of much harsh criticism from week to week.  Sometimes it is due and others we may be hard on him. However, through seven games, the offense is nowhere near where it needs to be. Yes we are winning, but the ultimate goal is to win in January and February as well. We can't beat really good teams playing like this.  The fact that Keith Butler made adjustments and the defense shut out the Bengals, forced turnovers and got stops is why the Steelers won.  The defense gave the Steelers the ball on around the Bengals 40 yard line and around the Steelers 45 and the offense could not convert a third down, get to the red zone or score a TD. Big Ben threw for under 50 yards the entire second half. We have too much talent for that.  The longest pass play completed came from Robert Golden on a special teams gadget play.  Nuff said.

4. Martavis Bryant - - I know this guy is frustrated, but he needs to hang in there. The weekly comments need to stop!!! Keep working hard and work to get better each week. He will be needed and his time is coming.  Focus on route running, separation and catching the ball more-so than the success of a 20 year old rookie. Martavis has overcome so much and I am pulling for him to stay clean, stay focus and get back to the level that he is capable.  He will see that hard work pays off. This offense is going to need him.  His size, speed and ability to create physical mis-matches will help. Hang in there Martavis.

Everyone pretty much nailed everything I wanted to say. One UP I wanted to add was the discipline the team had. Just one penalty for five yards. Pretty impressive especially considering it was against a bitter rival and the history of animosity with them.

Excellent point about the discipline on the field.  They could have fed into the after whistle stuff and they did not. Now.....can we just stay out of the media and focus on playing football? O.o  I am getting tired of all of the misconstrued comments and the media trying to pour gasoline on every situation.  The players have to learn not to give them anything to talk about off the field....

Archived