What Head Coach do you predict will be the first to be fired this year?

CP3MVP

23 hours ago, Mr Raider said:

Matt Naggy - Naggy for me would probably be at the very top of the list for me, had they not taken Justin Fields that is. I had Fields as my #2 QB, and I think Fields presence will buy Naggy at least the entire season unless Fields just looks terrible and the team totally implodes. Pace is on just as hot a seat and won't get to hire the next HC should he fire Naggy, and even an impatient owner will usually try and avoid rushing to make a decision that leads to a high first round QB (particularly one where you traded future picks to go up and get) having to deal with instability and turnover with their coaching staff. Fields will buy them more patience, and if he is as good as I think he will be he will likely buy them more than just getting through the season. Naggy himself has inspired little confidence from me, but I believe Fields, a great wideout in Robinson, sound running game, and a defense that has been consistently really solid to very good will keep them from totally bottoming out. But how little faith I have in Naggy still lands him in my top 4. I don't find it impossible to envision Naggy waiting too long to start Fields rolling with Dalton, having a bad start, and things snow balling from there to the point even Fields injecting youth can't overcome. I don't think it's extremely likely, hence why he isn't number 1, but I am not totally ruling it out either. 

Good post and I agree with the majority of it.  Nagy is certainly on the hot seat along with Pace (supposedly the last year of his contract). All Fields did was put a cooling pad on top of it with a timer already set.

Nagy has tried to run his "offensive system"....whatever the hell that happens to be....and now he has run out of excuses. He has replaced his staff multiple times to fit his offense, and has tried to work with 2 different QBs in only 3 years.  If he can't make it work with Fields then it becomes very clear that it's not just the lack of talent at QB that's holding him back.....it's him. I won't fault him too much for Dalton (other than signing him since he was Nagy/Lazor's choice) because he is what he is at this point and let's face it....Dalton is not a starting quality QB in 2021. So whatever happens with him and if he plays poorly then honestly it's no surprise. There's not much of a gap between dalton, Mitch, and Foles at this point. No GM/HC/OC should ever count on them to be a viable starter.

Overall, Nagy's a good head coach and those are hard to find. For that reason alone I'd hate to see him go. But his gameday prep, play calling, game management, and player decisions leave alot to be desired as a OC at times. I really do believe he could become a top HC and OC in the league with more experience, but unfortunately it might not be with the Bears unless he swallows his ego and entirely gives up play-calling and I don't see that happening. Or as you said, if the Bears don't totally tank and Fields becomes what we hope he can be. That'll probably be enough to keep him around. Especially since it would also save Pace and Pace loves Nagy. 

That said though, the McCaskey's have never once fired a HC mid-season in the 100 years ago they have existed. No matter how bad the coaches are, they like to wait until the smoke clears at the end of the season to make any major changes. So I'm not sure Nagy fits in this specific thread.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

I don't see why Fangio would be on the hot seat. He was hired for what he could do with the defense, and the defense is looking good. If they want to improve the offense, they need to change OC - even if they get Rodgers. 

He was hired to the be the HC not the defensive Coordinator 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

I don't see why Fangio would be on the hot seat. He was hired for what he could do with the defense, and the defense is looking good. If they want to improve the offense, they need to change OC - even if they get Rodgers. 

I'm with you on this. Denver's defense is starting to look nasty, even with six games against Carr, Herbert and Mahomes. 

This is from a betting site last September. How many of these guys still have their job?

First NFL Head Coach To Leave Betting Odds

Matt Patricia +300
Doug Marrone +400
Adam Gase +800
Dan Quinn +1000
Bill O'Brien +1100
Matt Nagy +2500
Anthony Lynn+2500
https://www.oddschecker.com/us/insight/football/nfl/20200928-nfl-odds-joe-judge-most-backed-head-coach-to-be-fired-first

• Like 1

On 5/30/2021 at 3:17 AM, NinerFever said:

Mike Mccarthy

I'll throw in behind this. It was very, very clear to a lot of GB fans in his last few years that the entire game plan was basically "hope Aaron wins us this one again", and any of his early innovations were completely gone. This was glaringly obvious when GB had to play without Rodgers, where they barely squeaked into a 5-9 record against mostly awful competition. 2017 was a real low point and showed a coach who really didn't know what he was doing any more (we weren't just bad, we were utterly incoherent), with coming within a 4th quarter/OT comeback of losing to what really has to be the worst ever NFL team ('16-' 17 Cleveland and their 1-31 record) was a low point. 

I was a little surprised that his hiring wasn't lambasted as I don't know that he has being a coordinator even in him any more, but I think it's becoming quite obvious quite quickly that with all due respect to Prescott who's quite an excellent QB, "hope Dak wins us this one again" just isn't nearly as surefire a strategy. 

Edited by Billy86
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Good post and I agree with the majority of it.  Nagy is certainly on the hot seat along with Pace (supposedly the last year of his contract). All Fields did was put a cooling pad on top of it with a timer already set.

Nagy has tried to run his "offensive system"....whatever the hell that happens to be....and now he has run out of excuses. He has replaced his staff multiple times to fit his offense, and has tried to work with 2 different QBs in only 3 years.  If he can't make it work with Fields then it becomes very clear that it's not just the lack of talent at QB that's holding him back.....it's him. I won't fault him too much for Dalton (other than signing him since he was Nagy/Lazor's choice) because he is what he is at this point and let's face it....Dalton is not a starting quality QB in 2021. So whatever happens with him and if he plays poorly then honestly it's no surprise. There's not much of a gap between dalton, Mitch, and Foles at this point. No GM/HC/OC should ever count on them to be a viable starter.

Overall, Nagy's a good head coach and those are hard to find. For that reason alone I'd hate to see him go. But his gameday prep, play calling, game management, and player decisions leave alot to be desired as a OC at times. I really do believe he could become a top HC and OC in the league with more experience, but unfortunately it might not be with the Bears unless he swallows his ego and entirely gives up play-calling and I don't see that happening. Or as you said, if the Bears don't totally tank and Fields becomes what we hope he can be. That'll probably be enough to keep him around. Especially since it would also save Pace and Pace loves Nagy. 

That said though, the McCaskey's have never once fired a HC mid-season in the 100 years ago they have existed. No matter how bad the coaches are, they like to wait until the smoke clears at the end of the season to make any major changes. So I'm not sure Nagy fits in this specific thread.

I agree with everything you're saying. I won't pretend to watch every Bears game, but I live in the Midwest and stay current with most NFL teams more than the average fan. 

I won't pretend to know everything about Naggy and his coaching abilities in terms of making adjustments, strategy, being a leader of men, having schemes that fit the players strengths, etc. From what I do know I don't think Naggy is a BAD head coach. Mitch was clearly a bust, but he wasn't nearly as awful will some make him out to be, just in the sense that you could clearly win games with him at a certain level (reaching the playoffs multiple times) and when you factor in how much Mitch did struggle and the biggest thing being the guys taken after him it's fair to say he was a bust. But if he's as awful as some say it could actually be a testament to Naggys abilities to navigate a lack of great QB play and still compete. Obviously the defense is a big part, but Naggy still put the staff together so he can't be given zero credit. Now that doesn't let Pace off the hook and it doesn't show that Naggy is great at developing young talent at the QB position. I'm just saying its nuanced. 

I don't think Naggy is as bad a HC as a lot seem to. I don't think he's a great HC, but like all coaches he has strengths and weaknesses. I personally wasn't much of a fan of Trubisky. I had Watson as the clear cut #1 QB and thought he was worthy of the first overall pick (was actually relieved when the Chiefs took Mahomes over him at the time lol because Mahomes was a really confusing prospect for me to evaluate). Since I wasn't a fan because I thought he lacked in the areas I put the most weight on for an NFL QB (accuracy, processing, decision making, how fast you are at making decisions and reading the field, and a big one for me is starting experience at the NFL level. I typically don't think highly of prospects that didn't see at least a couple of years of college starting experience with success and growth. So I don't put as much fault on Naggy for Mitch being what he was, not as much as some seem to. I don't know enough about his offensive scheme and what it's trying to accomplish and what is most important. But Fields is a guy I absolutely love as a prospect, significantly more than Mitch. He was a guy I would argue in most seasons would be well worth the first overall selection. 

Thinking that highly of him makes me feel better about Naggy's chances of surviving the former high picked QB and sticking around after getting a second crack at it (rare for most coaches to get that opportunity). Again I can't speak to how perfectly Fields fits the specific scheme but he has all the physical tools like Mitch did, but is significantly better at the non measurable things. So Naggy should have a leg up if my evaluation is right in terms of engineering a successful offense..

Ultimately Naggy still does have a hot seat, and that's understandable and deserving. Pace should have a much hotter seat IMO. In the end, like it does for a lot of coaches, Naggy's success and how much more time he has in Chicago will be effected most by the QB play. If Fields is what I think, Naggy will be able to show things he may not have been able to with Mitch. If Fields struggles, it will be a big indictment (fair or not) on his ability to coach young QBs and help highly thought of prospects reach franchise QB status. And honestly, most guys don't get back to back chances with 2 top 11 pick QBs, so if Fields looks bad it will be really damaging for the head coach. I'm not sure there is a worse X you can have on your report card than that. 

The good news is, I think Fields is in a good situation (not Mahomes good or anything) but much better than 90% of prospects of his caliber get. And Naggy may be able to navigate around the past failures in large part because of that. 

6 hours ago, mattyice0401 said:

No way Pete Carrol gets fired before ZImmer, May not fit this specfic thread but If the Vikings have a lack luster year I think he will be gone. GO GET JOE BRADY BABY!!!

As a GB fan, I would very much appreciate you guys firing Zimmer. 

10 hours ago, mattyice0401 said:

No way Pete Carrol gets fired before ZImmer, May not fit this specfic thread but If the Vikings have a lack luster year I think he will be gone. GO GET JOE BRADY BABY!!!

Stop it! Carrol has to be fired before Zimmer in order for the Seahawks to hire Joe Brady first. Don't get it twisted 

19 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

I get it - but is Elway really thinking "this offense still sucks! Screw you Fangio!" 

What was he expecting? 

Elway doesn’t have much say anymore so he will have little call on Fangio moving forward regardless if he deserves to be fired or not