(No QBs) Most shocking player regressions

Blackstar12

Nnamdi was a good answer in this post. There were obviously signs you can look back with hindsight and say yeah that was destined to go bad from the start. But it's still rare to see someone go from a lock down guy to out of the league basically 2 seasons later at only 32. But part of that could have been his interest in doing other things outside of football. 

The Raiders haven't had too many surprising fall from grace types that I can think of. 

Zach Miller is one that comes to mind. Obviously not on the level of a guy like Asomugha or others mentioned in this thread, but he was a fairly highly touted prospect in the 2007 draft at TE. He was drafted in the 2nd round and while playing with some absolutely terrible QB play and very little supporting talent on offense overall he still had a solid rookie year by TE standards (45ish receptions, 450 yards, and 3 or 4 TDs), and then from year 2 to year 4 he had 60 receptions, 700-800 yards, and a handful of TDs. He got paid pretty well for the time, and was one of the more highly regarded free agents due to his production in a terrible situation and how young he was still. I truly thought when he went to Seattle and in his second year there they drafted Russell Wilson, that he was going to be a great TE for them. I thought he was going to be a guy that benefited with playing with a QB like Wilson, even as a rookie or second year guy, a back like Lynch, and their style of offense. Ultimately he seemed to have faded because he was elevated stat wise because there wasn't much else worthy of looks and bad QBs love TEs. Was still a surprising semi fall from grace to me personally. 

1 hour ago, Starless said:

He was still a very good player with New England in 2018, but that lack of momentum from the time he missed really dragged him down. 

He also lost a ton of speed. He went from fast for the nfl to normal speed. It wasnt the hits on his legs that did it...

1 hour ago, bucsfan333 said:

After Michael Clayton's rookie year, it looked like he was gonna be a great one for a decade. He never came close to that level of play for the next seven years of his career.

Clayton was actually the first guy I thought of, as weird as that is

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Le'Veon Bell, or is that TBD?

I had written a response about running backs in general (Shaun Alexander) but volume matters so much that you almost have to adjust your age guidelines for the position. 

That being said, bell is a real legit option. He was done after age 25 

• Like 2