(No QBs) Most shocking player regressions

Blackstar12

10 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

400 carries seems to be the death sentence (Larry Johnson, Eddie George, Jamal Anderson for example). There’s been plenty of RBs who’ve had multiple 400 touches and been productive (LT, Curtis Martin, Emmitt Smith to name a few). And that’s not including the guys who surpassed the 400 mark with a playoff run.

I think there has to be a bigger factor then a true 400 touch season.   Too lazy to look but I'd expect it to be maybe based on all the carries prior to that point from peewee to then

6 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

I think there has to be a bigger factor then a true 400 touch season.   Too lazy to look but I'd expect it to be maybe based on all the carries prior to that point from peewee to then

1500 career carries seems to be the vicinity of the wall that most RBs hit. After that, their effectiveness takes a nosedive in most cases. If a guy remains effective after 1500, there's a good chance he's HOF-bound. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Ray Rice, too. Even before his altercation with his Fiancee, he looked toast as a player.

You could tell Rice wasn't the same during that 2012 SB run. Just wasn't a top flight HB anymore. Those 910 carries at Rutgers before entering the league were always going to take some years off his running life. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

You could tell Rice wasn't the same during that 2012 SB run. Just wasn't a top flight HB anymore. Those 910 carries at Rutgers before entering the league were always going to take some years off his running life. 

Yep. Bernard Pierce was the best RB on the Ravens during the late regular season and through the playoffs during that super bowl season. Now he's a name lost to a very small group of fanatics.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Yep. Bernard Pierce was the best RB on the Ravens during the late regular season and through the playoffs during that super bowl season. Now he's a name lost to a very small group of fanatics.

Absolutely. Pierce was a totally under the radar contributor to that championship who was well worth his 3rd Round price tag just for that alone, despite his total lack of value not long after said contributions. 

Devin McCourty is a weird case of early success, regression and then progression. He locked down a starters role as rookie (which very rarely happens with BB), played almost every single cornerback snap that season, getting 7 picks 17 PBU, 2FF and a sack, made the pro-bowl and was in discussion for DROY. 

...then came back in 2011 and was terrible. Truly awful. He regressed so badly he had to actually switch positions in 2012.

But THEN he became a great safety.

Edited by ChazStandard
  • Like 1

Will anyone continue to read this once they see I'm going to talk about a long snapper?

Brad St. Louis, Cincinnati Bengals.

For nine seasons he was what a long snapper should be, consistent to the point that most people don't know that he exists.

Then he just lost it. Snaps were flying all over the place. He was cut five games into the season. He hadn't gotten injured. It's not a position that wears down your body or is reliant on athleticism, he was only 33 anyway. His performance is not affected by the quality of play of any other player.

The only thing that happened to him was himself getting into his own head.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, otg said:

Will anyone continue to read this once they see I'm going to talk about a long snapper?

For nine seasons he was what a long snapper should be, consistent to the point that most people don't know that he exists.

Then he just lost it. Snaps were flying all over the place. He was cut five games into the season. He hadn't gotten injured. It's not a position that wears down your body or is reliant on athleticism, he was only 33 anyway. His performance is not affected by the quality of play of any other player.

Lose of interest no

impressed yes 

On 5/31/2021 at 2:23 PM, ET80 said:

Janoris Jenkins? Wasn't he really good for a bit, and then fell off? 

Same question on Marcus Peters? Or is he still good?

He's been very good for the Ravens. Was a first-team All Pro in 2019 and last year he had 4 INTs and 4 FFs for a top 5 secondary unit. 

I think the only place he hasn't been good has been LA, tbh.

• Like 1

Just now, Ray Reed said:

He's been very good for the Ravens. Was a first-team All Pro in 2019 and last year he had 4 INTs and 4 FFs for a top 5 secondary unit. 

I think the only place he hasn't been good has been LA, tbh.

Yeah, that's pretty good... I was basing things off of his Rams tenure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, otg said:

Same thing happened to a guy we had named Ryan Pontbriand. When longsnappers get the “yips” they’re done.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Same thing happened to a guy we had named Ryan Pontbriand. When longsnappers get the “yips” they’re done.

Ditto with our long snapper Beau Brinkley. Was our LS since 2012 and was the model of consistency. Caught Covid last season, came back and was a complete shell of himself to the point he was released. Don’t know if it was Covid related or the “yips” but the drop off was startling.