(No QBs) Most shocking player regressions

Blackstar12

9 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

Devin McCourty is a weird case of early success, regression and then progression. He locked down a starters role as rookie (which very rarely happens with BB), played almost every single cornerback snap that season, getting 7 picks 17 PBU, 2FF and a sack, made the pro-bowl and was in discussion for DROY. 

...then came back in 2011 and was terrible. Truly awful. He regressed so badly he to actually switch positions in 2012.

But THEN he became a great safety.

I think in 2011 teams picked up on some specific thing he struggled against in 2010 and just attacked it relentlessly. 

LaMarr Woodley dropped off quickly.   Got paid...got fat....lost Harrison....rest is history.

LeVeon Bell, Santonio Holmes and Mike Wallace were never the same after leaving Pittsburgh.

Maurkice Pouncey regressed significantly after Mike Munchack left.   

What about Andre Johnson? Had close to 1,000 his final season in Houston, went to Indy and barely got over 500 with a better QB situation.

No real injuries to account for, but he was 34... Maybe it's just a case of Father Time catching up to AJ.

On 6/1/2021 at 1:32 PM, LinderFournette said:

I think there has to be a bigger factor then a true 400 touch season.   Too lazy to look but I'd expect it to be maybe based on all the carries prior to that point from peewee to then

Johnson was a lot older than you'd expect....I think that hitting that 29/30 yr age is as bad as the workload a player gets. Johnson fell off at age 29, same as Priest Holmes. 

12 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Johnson was a lot older than you'd expect....I think that hitting that 29/30 yr age is as bad as the workload a player gets. Johnson fell off at age 29, same as Priest Holmes. 

I'm sure there's age involved to a point but u could hypothetically have a 29/30 year old back who didn't receive many carries in college but turned into a good back for a few years and then went to garbage

• Like 1

On 6/3/2021 at 8:24 AM, LinderFournette said:

I'm sure there's age involved to a point but u could hypothetically have a 29/30 year old back who didn't receive many carries in college but turned into a good back for a few years and then went to garbage

Really, that's the arc more than one player has - you see a Marshall Faulk who had massive usage in college and from the get-go in the pros, or Priest Holmes who had light usage in college (252 carries) and his first few years in the pros, and they washed at about the same age. I feel like it tracks.  

On 6/2/2021 at 5:46 PM, Mr Bad Example said:

Priest fell off moreso because Shawne Merriman gave him a dirty hit and destroyed his neck. He can barely move nowadays 

4 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Really, that's the arc more than one player has - you see a Marshall Faulk who had massive usage in college and from the get-go in the pros, or Priest Holmes who had light usage in college (252 carries) and his first few years in the pros, and they washed at about the same age. I feel like it tracks.  

Let's not discount high school carries as well. 

3 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

Let's not discount high school carries as well. 

Eh. High school is different. The guys who play RB at the college level are typically the biggest, strongest and fastest HS players and can basically shrug off most of the hits they take at that level. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2021 at 1:12 PM, DutchFalcon said:

Kind of tricky. Most regressions seemed to be linked to specific reasons (injury, change of scheme, loss of motivations or "another reason"). Names that come to mind are;

-Demarco Murray
-Micheal Turner
-Dez Bryant
-Shawne Merriman
-Brian Cushing (Lol, I just saw that he's an assistant strength and conditioning coach for the Texans... wth?)
-Ray Edwards
-BJ Raji
-Greg Jennings

Texan East Germans come out of nowhere in 2021 to surprise league.