How the NFL can get the message that they are overexposing the NFC East

pf9

It's simple. As a primetime game featuring an NFC East team approaches, high profile players from the opponents should make it clear that they will sit out the game to protest the amount of undeserved coverage the NFC East receives.

Like Tom Brady can make a statement saying he'd rather be playing against the Dolphins, a team he is very familiar with as a former Patriot, than the Cowboys, in the kickoff game, and thus refuse to play against the Cowboys.

The more this happens, the more likely the NFL will realize they are overexposing the NFC East, and reduce the amount of primetime games and 4:25 DH features non-playoff NFC East teams, get. And even then, the playoff teams out of the NFC East need to have a good amount of wins.

It will also show that ratings aren't everything, and the league needs to emphasize performance-based criteria in awarding teams primetime, especially SNF.

The snub of the 10-6 Dolphins on the SNF schedule but giving the 6-10 Cowboys three appearances to start should be a breaking point.

Edited by pf9
  • Like 3

Teams share revenue. 

A large chunk of the revenue stems from TV deals which are negotiated based in part on ratings. 

The NFC east (and Dallas specifically), generate higher ratings fairly consistently. 

NFL owners are businessmen and women who like to make money. 

High ratings may not be everything, but they are pretty damn important. 

And frankly, players can put whatever power they have (which isn't a lot) to much better use, especially since the ratings impact their bottom line in salaries as well

• Like 8

Who cares about short term results compared to the big picture? The NFC East earns those spots based on markets and tradition and popularity. Difficult to believe anyone doesn't understand that. Tom Brady will win the PGA Championship before he refuses to play against the Cowboys or any other team.

I am a Miami Dolphins fan. They earned nothing. Playoff berth on the line and they couldn't stop a play. Ended up with the worst yards per completion allowed in the league. Awful YPPA Differential of -.7. Far more often than not a team that goes from 6 wins to 10 wins will regress the following season. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pf9 said:

It's simple. As a primetime game featuring an NFC East team approaches, high profile players from the opponents should make it clear that they will sit out the game to protest the amount of undeserved coverage the NFC East receives.

Why do the players care? 

Do they care enough to give up 1/17th of their salary?

I agree that the power of protest can work - but there's often a cost to the protest

A player has to be passionate about this to be worth the fight, the loss of paycheck, and the (probable) negative reaction towards them they would get, and I doubt any of them they are passionate enough to take that on

More likely, it would have to be on US as fans protest and kill the ratings to prove that those are not the right games to put in primetime. Of course, our cost is skipping games.

• Like 2

It's up to us.

Even teams with the largest fan bases - their fans alone do not drive the ratings. So if you don't want the NFCE on primetime, don't watch. I can't recall the last time I watched a full game of theirs when they weren't playing the Rams. When they play each other it's an automatic do not watch for me - I'll check in periodically if my fantasy match up is in doubt and I have someone playing in the game, that's about it.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Calamity_Cometh said:

I don't get why you invest so much time in the hypotheticals that you do.

I don't get why you feel the need to be critical of a guy posting something

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

I don't get why you feel the need to be critical of a guy posting something

Because this is a discussion board and part of discussing things includes criticism, which I didn't even do. I just made a statement that I know for a fact that others agree with.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Calamity_Cometh said:

Because this is a discussion board and part of discussing things includes criticism, which I didn't even do. I just made a statement that I know for a fact that others agree with.

that's the point.. If you have something to say on the subject, say it on the subject, not on the poster

If you feel like you want to insult a guy for posting a genuine thought, then maybe next time resist the urge and instead just ignore the thread entirely

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

that's the point.. If you have something to say on the subject, say it on the subject, not on the poster

If you feel like you want to insult a guy for posting a genuine thought, then maybe next time resist the urge and instead just ignore the thread entirely

Explain to me how I insulted him? I said I don't get it. That's it. I welcome him to enlighten me and bring me into his headspace. You went from criticism to insulting and I did not do either one. I don't know if you are mistaken or if you are intentionally twisting my words but that is twice now that you have accused me of something that I did not do.

• Like 1