Jump to content

How the NFL can get the message that they are overexposing the NFC East


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BStanRamFan said:

Can we focus our attention on taking away a guaranteed playoff seed from the NFC East until they deserve it again? Too many good teams were left out the past 2 years or so.

In the last 15 years, how many superbowls has your division won? How about the AFCW? AFCS? NFCS? AFCN? NFCN?  How about we take away your nice things until you deserve it. Pretty sure the only division that tops the East is... well the other East. 

 

(tongue in cheek)

Edited by Matts4313
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

In the last 15 years, how many superbowls has your division won? How about the AFCW? AFCS? NFCS? AFCN? NFCN?  How about we take away your nice things until you deserve it. Pretty sure the only division that tops the East is... well the other East. 

 

(tongue in cheek)

Superbowl wins you got me, but SuperBowl appearences the NFC West is dominant. I realize it will never happen, but hate being in a division where we beat the snot out of each other 6 games a year and the 3rd place team could of won the NFC East. 

2020 Cardinals>WFT

2019 Rams>Philly

Top 7 teams in each conference should make the playoffs regardless of division. Again, I realize it will never happen. 

 

I also fully support keeping NFC East on primetime. Lot of history in those franchises that makes the NFL ALOT of money.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BStanRamFan said:

I realize it will never happen, but hate being in a division where we beat the snot out of each other 6 games a year and the 3rd place team could of won the NFC East. 

You realize this is such a new phenomena that its almost not worth even talking about? Were not that far removed from your division being 1 team and 3 dumpster fires. 

Give it a season or two and things will balance themselves back out. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think as others have pointed out it's about ratings - if they keep bringing the ratings in, the stations keep airing the teams. I don't begrudge the NFC East teams the airtime no matter how badly they play if they're the ratings generators.

I think it isn't something to take for granted though - if other teams put in the groundwork over several years with success, merchandise sales etc. then they might become the ones who are frequently aired.

I think as long as every team does have some minimal level of exposure we can't complain too much, and if it really isn't what people want then they'll stop watching the games and the broadcasters might re-think.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The whole NFCE pays the bills is a bit of a misnomer. Dallas definitely pulls their weight (and then some), NY, Philly, WFT are all deadweight. They all living off being in Jerry's World shadow.

Top Rated NFL Games and Teams Can’t Fix Ratings Slide – Sportico.com

TLDR :

Highest Rated Games 2020

Saints-Bucs

49ers - Pats

Giants - Cowboys

Saints - Bears

Seahawks - Cowboys

Steelers - Cowboys

Packers - Bucs

Texans - Chiefs 

Seahawks - Rams

Rams - Cowboys

 

Highest Average Viewership 2020

Dallas

New Orleans

Tampa Bay

Seattle

Las Vegas

Pittsburgh

New England

Kansas City

San Francisco

Green Bay

Edited by animaltested
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, animaltested said:

The whole NFCE pays the bills is a bit of a misnomer. Dallas definitely pulls their weight (and then some), NY, Philly, WFT are all deadweight. They all living off being in Jerry's World shadow.

Top Rated NFL Games and Teams Can’t Fix Ratings Slide – Sportico.com

TLDR :

Highest Rated Games 2020

Saints-Bucs

49ers - Pats

Giants - Cowboys

Saints - Bears

Seahawks - Cowboys

Steelers - Cowboys

Packers - Bucs

Texans - Chiefs 

Seahawks - Rams

Rams - Cowboys

 

Highest Average Viewership 2020

Dallas

New Orleans

Tampa Bay

Seattle

Las Vegas

Pittsburgh

New England

Kansas City

San Francisco

Green Bay

Using 2020 is such a farce. We were all terrible. Historically it was the 2nd or 3rd worst season ever for a division. Go back and look at 2016, 2017, 2018. 

 

NFL ratings went down for the first time in years and the NFCE sucked. Coincidence? 🧐

Edited by Matts4313
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, animaltested said:

The whole NFCE pays the bills is a bit of a misnomer. Dallas definitely pulls their weight (and then some), NY, Philly, WFT are all deadweight. They all living off being in Jerry's World shadow.

Top Rated NFL Games and Teams Can’t Fix Ratings Slide – Sportico.com

TLDR :

Highest Rated Games 2020

Saints-Bucs

49ers - Pats

Giants - Cowboys

Saints - Bears

Seahawks - Cowboys

Steelers - Cowboys

Packers - Bucs

Texans - Chiefs 

Seahawks - Rams

Rams - Cowboys

 

Highest Average Viewership 2020

Dallas

New Orleans

Tampa Bay

Seattle

Las Vegas

Pittsburgh

New England

Kansas City

San Francisco

Green Bay

Note that this is not for the full season. It's only midway through November

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 24isthelaw said:

People watch the NFC East, so they show it.

That follows from where the teams are located. all four cities are top 10 TV markets

Nielsen's rankings

1    New York    
2    Los Angeles
3    Chicago    
4    Philadelphia
5    Dallas-Ft. Worth    
6    San Francisco-Oak-San Jose    
7    Washington, DC 
8    Houston    
9    Boston 
10    Atlanta

The AFC East has three--NY, Washington, Boston. No other division has more than two.

J

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

That follows from where the teams are located. all four cities are top 10 TV markets

Nielsen's rankings

1    New York    
2    Los Angeles
3    Chicago    
4    Philadelphia
5    Dallas-Ft. Worth    
6    San Francisco-Oak-San Jose    
7    Washington, DC 
8    Houston    
9    Boston 
10    Atlanta

The AFC East has three--NY, Washington, Boston. No other division has more than two.

J

That has something to do with it, but for the most part there is a decent national following for each of us as well. Obviously Cowboys have the biggest national draw of all NFL teams, but you cant tell me that people in FL arent watching the Giants. Half their state is retired NY'ers 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

That has something to do with it, but for the most part there is a decent national following for each of us as well. Obviously Cowboys have the biggest national draw of all NFL teams, but you cant tell me that people in FL arent watching the Giants. Half their state is retired NY'ers 

That's an exaggeration, but Miami and Tamp-St Pete are both in the second ten markets. 

You raise a good point with national teams. Because of Patrick Mahomes, the smallest market of the 32 has national appeal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2021 at 3:45 PM, BStanRamFan said:

Can we focus our attention on taking away a guaranteed playoff seed from the NFC East until they deserve it again? Too many good teams were left out the past 2 years or so.

I wouldn't go that far, but I would strip the top 4 seed guarantee from division winners. The eventual champions Tampa Bay had the actual 4th-best record in the NFC, but were forced to start their title run in Washington (who finished 7-9) because they didn't win the NFC South. Washington, knowing very well they should be starting the playoffs on the road (which would have occurred in New Orleans in such a scenario), wore their white jerseys.

It took actually getting to the Super Bowl for the Bucs to have a home playoff game. Ironically, they wore white jerseys despite being the designated home team, even though the weather was mild enough for their colored jerseys to be worn.

The NBA has the right idea to some extent, though they don't guarantee a playoff berth for division winners in seeding each conference's playoff teams by record, in practice though all division leaders in the NBA play well enough to earn a spot in the playoffs (as long as they don't continue those stupid play-in games, I have a better idea for revamping what teams get into the playoffs - top 16 teams by record regardless of conference, playoffs still nominally conferenced, with teams sometimes crossing over to the other conference for the playoffs if a conference has 9 or more teams in the top 16 a la CFL).

Back to the main point about playoff seeding, the NBA has indeed realized the problems with seeding priority for division winners. I feel the top 4 seeds in each conference should go to the four actual best teams in each conference irrespective of divisional affiliation, even if it means a division winner opens the playoffs on the road, which hasn't actually happened since 1989, and we are overdue for it to happen again.

There are two interesting scenarios that can come from removing seeding priority for division winners:

1. A division winner is so bad, they get the lowest seed in the conference, with no chance of a home playoff game, and still go on to win the Super Bowl

2. The top two seeds in a conference are from the same division, and go on to meet in the CCG, easily making this game the biggest in the history of the division rivalry in question (this actually happened in 1982 due to the strike, and that season proved that removing seeding priority for division winners can work; Washington beat Dallas in the NFC title game that year).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

That's an exaggeration, but Miami and Tamp-St Pete are both in the second ten markets. 

You raise a good point with national teams. Because of Patrick Mahomes, the smallest market of the 32 has national appeal.

He's from Texas. A large portion of us have made the Chiefs our #2 team. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...