How the NFL can get the message that they are overexposing the NFC East

pf9

Think it was Mike Florio (can't fully remember) who recently said that the standard market NFL team would cost/be valued at approximately $8-$10 Billion Dollars nowadays. That's for a NFL team not in one of the biggest markets and that doesn't have a traditionally huge fanbase.

Absolutely no way would any of these owners turn up at the League Meetings demanding a change. The teams are already becoming more valuable every year as it is. 

The NFL should be keeping parity as much as it can. If not it would be a similar situation to Spain's La Liga where Barca and Real Madrid absolutely dominate in terms of TV revenue and the other teams just fight to stay in the league and earn what they can. 

• Like 1

On 7/11/2021 at 8:10 AM, PFM18 said:

Think it was Mike Florio (can't fully remember) who recently said that the standard market NFL team would cost/be valued at approximately $8-$10 Billion Dollars nowadays. That's for a NFL team not in one of the biggest markets and that doesn't have a traditionally huge fanbase.

Absolutely no way would any of these owners turn up at the League Meetings demanding a change. The teams are already becoming more valuable every year as it is. 

The NFL should be keeping parity as much as it can. If not it would be a similar situation to Spain's La Liga where Barca and Real Madrid absolutely dominate in terms of TV revenue and the other teams just fight to stay in the league and earn what they can. 

I think that valuation is after the sports betting rights get put in place, but yeah, in general you are right. 

4 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

I think that valuation is after the sports betting rights get put in place, but yeah, in general you are right. 

Yeah that sounds right. I remember he was talking about something that led him to move on to team valuations so could certainly have been that.

On 7/9/2021 at 8:23 AM, ET80 said:

TV revenue is divided equally. So, all divisions ARE treated equally in the one metric that matters (Money)

I think the NFL should treat all teams equally, with a slight slant towards teams who made the playoffs the previous season or came close but were eliminated in the final week (like Miami and Arizona in 2020) when it comes to assigning games to non-Sunday afternoon slots is what I meant. And for this, I mean no matter how popular a team is.

For the Thanksgiving games, Detroit and Dallas would be allowed to continue hosting their traditional games, but first dibs for being the opponents in those games would go to the home opponents of both teams that have gone the longest without being on Thanksgiving - which would have been Arizona at Detroit and Denver at Dallas this year. The first slot in the night game goes to the team not playing at Detroit or Dallas with the longest Thanksgiving drought, and their opponent with the longest Thanksgiving drought will be their opponent for the Thanksgiving night game - this would have given the Thanksgiving night slot to Jacksonville at LA Rams. Under this formula, Cleveland would have first dibs on playing in the Thanksgiving night game in 2022.

Edited by pf9

There are 272 NFL games a year. 16 of those are Cowboys games. That is just under 6% of the "pie". Last year, according to Jerry Jones, the Cowboy games had almost 25% of the total NFL gameday related revenue.

Obviously this was inflated dramatically due to stadiums like Dallas allowing partial attendance while other teams didnt allow any attendance whatsoever (I think roughly 20-25 teams allowed at least *some* fans to some games). Still interesting to me that Dallas was at less than ~20k home capacity for only 8 games and still somehow managed to carry the league in that sector of revenue. And they did it responsibly as there were no major covid outbreaks tied to games/cowboys/etc. 

Edited by Matts4313

On 7/17/2021 at 8:28 PM, pf9 said:

I think the NFL should treat all teams equally, with a slight slant

So, not equally. 

On 7/17/2021 at 8:28 PM, pf9 said:

towards teams who made the playoffs the previous season or came close but were eliminated in the final week (like Miami and Arizona in 2020) when it comes to assigning games to non-Sunday afternoon slots is what I meant. 

I feel like this is already a thing. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

@pf9 your premise doesn't stack up. If anything, the NFCE are UNDERrepresented on live TV considering the money that Dallas brings in. (I have no idea why they're still the most profitable/popular sports team, but they are). 

If we're going on revenue merit, they should get more games. Fortunately, there's more to watching sport than money.

• 1 month later...
On 5/29/2021 at 7:49 PM, pf9 said:

Like Tom Brady can make a statement saying he'd rather be playing against the Dolphins, a team he is very familiar with as a former Patriot, than the Cowboys, in the kickoff game, and thus refuse to play against the Cowboys.

That's just silly.