What's the best division in football?

Right now, I think you have to go NFC West. Hawks, Niners, and Rams are all insanely talented powerhouses. Cards also have potential to explode. You can pretty much count on two of them meeting in the playoffs.

Outside of them, maybe AFC North if a healthy Burrow can help the Bengals to ascend. AFC West could be decent depending on how the Broncos and Raiders do. Maybe AFC East if the Pats can improve to join the spicy Bills and Dolphins? 

Not considered: NFC East

1) NFC West

2) AFC West

The reason I have these as Top 2 is because there is not a single “bad” team in either division. Can’t say that about any other division currently. 

3) AFC East

Weird seeing the AFC East this high. But to me the Bills and Dolphins are clear playoff teams. Patriots are possibly 8-9/9-8 type team. And the Jets are not horrible, they should be around 6-11. 

4) NFC North

I could see the Packers, Bears, and Vikings all as good teams. 

5) AFC North

I feel people rank the division high because they think there are three good teams. I think the Steelers will be a below-average team this year. 

6) NFC South

Bucs, Falcons, Saints. Has potential to be Top 3, but as of right now it’s #6. 

7) AFC South

Colts and Titans are solid. Texans and Jags got some work to do though. 

8 ) As almost always, NFC East

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

For me the Falcons, Saints and Panthers all have to prove their mettle. Saints to prove what they can do for a full year without Brees. Falcons to prove that Arthur Smith is the answer. Panthers to prove... that they can be any good/Darnold can become a good starter.

NFC North - For some reason I can see there being at least two bad teams this year. I just haven't decided which two they are (well, one is the Lions). 

AFC South - the Colts and Titans both should be good. Jags need more time. Texans don't even have an NFL roster. 

BTW thanks Mods for moving the thread - I honestly didn't know where to post this. 

5bm7ei.jpg

• Like 4

The NFC West and there is really no debating. The Rams and Seahawks were both playoff teams. The Rams got better with the addition of Stafford. The Seahawks I think improved just by changing offensive coordinators to bring a different scheme to take advantage of the weapons they have on offense. If Pete get out of the way and stop being run and then hope Wilson can work magic I think we can see something similar to when the Packers got LaFleur and his impact on the Packers offense. Then the Niners just by getting healthy is a playoff contender. Really the Rams, Seahawks, and Niners are all Superbowl contenders but the floor for each team is the playoffs so that lets you know just how great this division is. With the Niners its going to come down to Jimmy G health. They do have a wildcard in Lance. Is he ready now? Nope. Do I trust Kyle to help him get ready sooner rather than later that if he does have to play even at some point this season if Jimmy G gets hurt that the Niners will still be a playoff contender? Yes. So no matter how you slice it, the Niners should be taken seriously regardless of who is behind center at QB. Then there is the Cards. They have so much potential to be a Superbowl contender. The one person that will hold this team back is Kingsbury. He isnt better than Carroll, McVay, or Kyle but if he proves to just be a top 15 coach with this talent the Cards have they can be a playoff contending team that could make some noise in the playoffs. 

Its crazy to think all four teams can make the playoffs. If there was ever a year to do so it would be this year with this division. I could see a scenario where every division outside the NFC West in the NFC only has one team coming out of it. That leaves the NFC West with the division winner plus three wildcard teams. Again is it likely? Nope but this season with 17 games and outside of the Bucs and MAYBE the Packers if ARod is the starting QB Week 1, there really isnt any strong teams other than in the NFC West. I wont predict all four teams make the playoffs but if its late in the season and all four teams still have a shot at getting in I wont be surprised. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, BayRaider said:

5) AFC North

I feel people rank the division high because they think there are three good teams. I think the Steelers will be a below-average team this year. 

I agree with the latter half, but disagree on your ranking.

Last year they were the best division in the league (by cumulative record), and while I agree the Steelers are more like a 7 or 8 win team than what they were last year, I think the Bengals make up for a bit of it with their improvement.

I could easily see both the Steelers and Bengals being 7 or 8 win teams which is only like 2 games worse than what they were last year, just shuffled around differently

I still think both NFCW and AFCW will be better than AFCN, but I think AFCN has 2 legit playoff teams, and a better "worst team" than most other divisions

7 hours ago, BayRaider said:

2) AFC West

The reason I have these as Top 2 is because there is not a single “bad” team in either division. Can’t say that about any other division currently. 

IMO the Broncos still qualify as a bad team until they announce a move at QB. They had the 4th worst point differential in the league last year. They squeezed out a few close wins they shouldn't have, but also got blown out a lot. They improved the secondary, sure, but that wasn't the problem last year anyway. They get Sutton and Miller back, but it isn't like they won't have other injuries to compensate.

Broncos have a good roster, but until they do something to address the reason that good roster resulted in a bad team last year, they're still likely to be a bad team this year.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

For me the Falcons, Saints and Panthers all have to prove their mettle. Saints to prove what they can do for a full year without Brees. Falcons to prove that Arthur Smith is the answer. Panthers to prove... that they can be any good/Darnold can become a good starter.

NFC North - For some reason I can see there being at least two bad teams this year. I just haven't decided which two they are (well, one is the Lions). 

AFC South - the Colts and Titans both should be good. Jags need more time. Texans don't even have an NFL roster. 

BTW thanks Mods for moving the thread - I honestly didn't know where to post this. 

5bm7ei.jpg

Bears and Lions like almost every year since the 90s. 

Unless Aaron Rodgers gets traded to the Broncos, cannot see what’s so strong about that division outside of the Chiefs. The Chargers haven’t proven to be a playoff team. The Broncos with Fangio isn’t the head coach I’m banking on two get to the playoffs, and the Raiders based off of this off-season isn’t a team I’m banking on to be a playoff team either.

I think the best divisions are the ones with the best coaches because you can typically bank on the best coaches having teams that show up year in and year out and be competitive. Who are all the good/proven coaches in the AFCW?

I’d personally rank them something like:

1. NFCW- 3 top coaches, No bad team.
2. AFCN- 3 top coaches, 1 below average to bad team.
3. AFCE- 3 top coaches, 1 below average to bad team.

4. NFCN- 3 quality coaches. Assuming Rodgers is there though. 
5. NFCS- Brady, Payton
6. AFCW- Reid is an obvious HOF. Gruden is average, Fangio hasn’t proven he’s legit, and lastly you’ve got a rookie HC.

7. AFCS- If not for the Texans and the Jags being such trash this division could’ve been in the conversation for a top 5 division. As it stands they have such trash in the division and odds aren’t in the favor of the two down teams.
8. NFCE- Until otherwise proven stronger, this division has to accept the worst division title. None of the teams were strong nor consistent throughout this past season. Though I expect this to change, their resume does not currently look too good.

Completely disagree with you. Good divisions are the ones that have the most good teams and don’t have a single bad one. Chargers, Raiders, and Broncos are all likely to be 9-8 or 8-9. There is not a single bad team in the division. Not to mention the Chiefs are arguably the best team in the league. 

6th best division? Lmao. 

AFCN is likely going to be the #4 seed (I have the Ravens winning the division as the 4 seed) and the Steelers AND Bengals will both finish below .500. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

1. NFCW

2. AFCN

3. AFCW

4. NFCS

5. NFCN

6. AFCE

7. NFCE

8. AFCS

Someone is going to have to explain to me how the AFCS, with two teams projected to pick in the top 5 in 2022 and one team with Wentz at QB (who was a bottom 5 QB last year), is a better division than the NFCE.  

The Eagles will probably suck, but every other team in the NFCE should be competitive this season with pretty much any team in the league, unlike in the AFCS.

Edited by HTTRDynasty
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

1. NFCW

2. AFCN

3. AFCW

4. NFCS

5. NFCN

6. AFCE

7. NFCE

8. AFCS

Someone is going to have to explain to me how the AFCS, with two teams projected to pick in the top 5 in 2022 and one team with Wentz at QB (who was a bottom 5 QB last year), is a better division than the NFCE.  

The Eagles will probably suck, but every other team in the NFCE should be competitive this season with pretty much any team in the league, unlike in the AFCS.

On paper yes but let’s see how Jones and the Giants do. He has no excuses this season with how much they upgraded the offense.

Edited by Blackstar12