EURO 2020

Hunter2_1

Who ya got?

Easy answer is France I suppose, but I thought the same in 2016. Weird things usually happen in international tournaments.

Belgium may be without KdB, Portugal come in with a very strong squad. Italy should be dark horses with their 20+ unbeaten run or whatever it is

• 2 weeks later...

Still hard to believe Wales didn't end up losing today. They were outclassed by Switzerland and in general just looked awful.

As for the other games, Italy looked as expected, that Erikson incident was horrifying for Denmark and the world, and Belgium is Belgium.

Looking forward to England vs Croatia tomorrow. 

On 6/16/2021 at 6:55 PM, Oregon Ducks said:

For all the hype they got, Turkey have been really bad.

I haven't heard anything about Turkey hype-wise but I am in England - amazing what you hear in different places! I thought Wales were brilliant the other night to be fair but if Turkey had got the first goal they might well have put them on the back foot.

1 hour ago, britishovertheborder said:

I haven't heard anything about Turkey hype-wise but I am in England - amazing what you hear in different places! I thought Wales were brilliant the other night to be fair but if Turkey had got the first goal they might well have put them on the back foot.

I’ve seen a few things:

https://www.varsity.co.uk/sport/21492

https://sportslumo.com/football/euro-2021-defensively-solid-and-with-goal-scorers-galore-turkey-could-be-tournaments-dark-horse/

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/turkey-italy-euro-2020-winners-24302648

https://backpagefootball.com/euro-2020-can-turkey-live-up-to-their-popular-dark-horse-billing/128250/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9668381/Euro-2020-Turkey-Croatia-Denmark-Poland-dark-horses-looking-spring-surprise.html

10 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Scotland was closer to scoring. England looked super flat.

Two flat performances in a row from England. They’ll get out the group, but as far as the knockouts go, there are at least six teams that you wouldn’t fancy them to beat.

As for Scotland, we’ll be the better team v Croatia, but end up conceding a last minute goal to knock us out because that’s just what we do.

One thing we can all agree on though, Billy Gilmour is an absolute baller.

England have no way of progressing the ball from deep in a non predictable manner. Declan Rice and Kalvin Phillips is, at absolute best, a below average combination in terms of being able to move the ball forward against a team who are behind the ball.

That's another reason why Maguire is a huge miss for England. Mings has no ability to either pass a ball through the lines, or carry a ball out of the back to impact the defensive shape of the other team. Maguire does both.

Everyone looking to blame the front 4, and yes, they didn't excel. But they are receiving predictable passes and then having to break down a 9 man wall who are fully setup in their shape.

England need to play Foden or Mount deeper to get some technical quality deeper. Players who can take the ball deep and progress it an unpredictable yet technically sound way.

12 hours ago, Buc Ball said:

Two flat performances in a row from England. They’ll get out the group, but as far as the knockouts go, there are at least six teams that you wouldn’t fancy them to beat.

As for Scotland, we’ll be the better team v Croatia, but end up conceding a last minute goal to knock us out because that’s just what we do.

One thing we can all agree on though, Billy Gilmour is an absolute baller.

Maybe yesterday but the Croatia performance for me wasn't flat. It's still early in the tournament and it's about doing enough to get through, that's it. If you do that in every round you win it. Of course you have teams like France who look very strong but you never know!

Interesting decision(s) coming for Southgate. With Mount almost certainly not playing, does he bring Grealish in for a straight swap, or does he move Foden infield and bring in Sancho/Rashford?

Given that we are through, and technically coming 2nd/3rd gives a more favourable matchup in the 2nd round, I wouldn't be surprised to see a few changes. Maguire will likely start too, I imagine.

Edited by lomaxgrUK