EURO 2020

Hunter2_1

26 minutes ago, mse326 said:

1. Still not paternalism

You're right. There's nothing paternalistic about endless people removing agency from three young men and acting like they'll need unique protection from the unholy terror that will be rained upon them 😂. "I'll protect you from the evil my young child, don't worry". "I'm not disappointed in you". "In fact I'm actually happy we lost, so I can tell you how much more I appreciate you".

2. I highly doubt those wishing them well is going to be what gets to them

Why? You don't think "I don't care that we lost, I just hope you're okay" said for the billionth time by a totally insincere person is grating? It's patronizing and there's a lot of people that hate that more than outright criticism.  

4. Even if some are virtue signaling (which there are) you have no idea who is sincere or not so stop pretending you do

If you admit people are virtue signaling(Which is obvious to anyone with a functioning brain),.. what's your issue with my posts? lol  Like that's my whole point. That the majority of this is inorganic vomit spewed by social media addicts.

Also if you want to get really cynical, an uncomfortable number of these buffoons actually want those 3 kids to receive special or racial abuse. That's the awful truth of it. Not too different from when the media was almost trying to will that 'Joker' movie mass shooting at a theater into existence with the constant barrage of posts, articles, etc on the subject. They're all ghouls that enjoy feeding off of heinous things. 

You feel different on the subject, fine. The topic doesn't really merit any special discussion though.

Edited by DreamKid

Say Italy never evens up, and Luke Shaw's goal decided it- That has to be one of the better career turnarounds in recent history right?

I mean it's still a great turnaround for Luke, but that would've been such a storied exclamation point put on it. Last time I was really following soccer he was on the outs, injured, and had issues with his manager. That to now is pretty impressive. 

I could be wrong but I think England is set up pretty nicely with their national team for future tournaments Id call it more of a stretch to say their window is closed than to say their window is just opening up when i think a lot of their team is really young. Although playing in a home match in the final is pretty hard to overcome.

1 hour ago, Kip Smithers said:

All jokes aside, this is probably the best chance England will ever have for a longggg time to win a major tournament. Everything fell perfectly for them and failed to take advantage. Italy were better team on the day and best all tournament.

The window is open for now. As far as the core group of players, they can probably go through to the next Euros.  The players should take them far next year.

The main problem is Southgate, who won’t get nearly enough blame for his negative approach towards tonight because they stole an early goal. England are still yet to find an identity other than being boring to watch.

2 hours ago, Buc Ball said:

The window is open for now. As far as the core group of players, they can probably go through to the next Euros.  The players should take them far next year.

The main problem is Southgate, who won’t get nearly enough blame for his negative approach towards tonight because they stole an early goal. England are still yet to find an identity other than being boring to watch.

Disagree. Southgate is definitely holding them back (and I’ve been saying this for a long time now, so not saying this because they lost). But I don’t think the ceiling of this team is nearly as high as people think. It’s a flawed squad. Lacks balance. Midfield is most important part of football nowadays and England are average in that aspect compared to other nations. 

I think these past two tournaments (2018 and this Euros) have papered over the cracks. A LOT of things have inexplicably broken for them. 2018 that ridiculously easy path. This tournament again with an easy path, playing all games but 1 at Wembley, playing teams that have had to travel and having home fans in their stadium while restricting access to opposing fans. 

Italy was the better team. Honestly Italy vs Spain was the real finals. That was the biggest hurdle. Italy survived to penalties with them. Against England, Italy was just much more dominant and were purely better most of the game. After the bad start, Italy was purely better. Clawed back to tie it. Overcame injuries and their weaker bench and still managed to fend off a late rally by England to come back and put them on their back foot. 

Still a heartbreaker for England. To go to penalties, to be up in penalties, and then to not only lose your lead but to make the big save against Jorginho only to blow it later. Also pretty pathetic for Sterling and Grealish to not take the penalty kicks. Whether that was on them or Southgate it's still baffling. Flop around the whole tourny and then don't want to have a say in the outcome? Don't like it.

5 hours ago, berlin calling said:

cringe. may just be the german in me though.

I’d be stunned if they did that, particularly when there are people who have contributed more to the sport who haven’t received that high an honour.