Bears have OT Morgan Moses for a visit

WindyCity

Just now, G08 said:

Regardless, PFF tagged them as "Green" players. I'm not saying, nor will I ever say, that PFF is the gospel but to say:

is flat-out wrong.

His highest ranking ever by them is 31.

His average ranking for his career is 43.

What do you define as good?

His peak was average and his career has been well below average.

4 minutes ago, G08 said:

Regardless, PFF tagged them as "Green" players. I'm not saying, nor will I ever say, that PFF is the gospel but to say:

is flat-out wrong. I'm glad we upgraded him but he was a serviceable player during his time here.

I'm hoping Jenkins and Ifedi are upgrades and lock down the bookends for the foreseeable future.

Serviceable and good are not the same thing.

9 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

His highest ranking ever by them is 31.

Ranking 31 out of 64 starters plus however many more players subbed in due to injury isn't considered "not good".

This is turning into semantics so I'll leave here with saying I hope Jenkins and Ifedi/Borom are upgrades.

6 minutes ago, G08 said:

Ranking 31 out of 64 starters plus however many more players subbed in due to injury isn't considered "not good".

This is turning into semantics so I'll leave here with saying I hope Jenkins and Ifedi/Borom are upgrades.

I hope so as well.

I don’t think there is much of a ceiling with Ifedi. I am hoping Borom can be a legitimately good RT for the future.

I would like more depth behind Jenkins, hopefully we can get someone before camp starts.

21 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I hope so as well.

I don’t think there is much of a ceiling with Ifedi. I am hoping Borom can be a legitimately good RT for the future.

I would like more depth behind Jenkins, hopefully we can get someone before camp starts.

I don't think Ifedi was a bad player in Seattle and he certainly hasn't been bad with Bears.   I went back and watched him when Bears acquired him. 

I think he got in Seattle doghouse by making his biggest mistakes in big moments in big games.   He tends to have a pattern of making back to back mistakes that compound things.    Those tend to really stick in your craw and it's understandable.   I think that is why other teams didn't make a move on him.  

Overall he was a decent to good player IMO. 

That pattern leads me to believe it is mental rather than physical and is likely correctable if someone would identify it and help him with it in some way.   Rather than just pawn it off as that is just way he is.    I think that is not true of a lot of things.   If you aren't just dumb and you have physical capability to do a thing - most problems/issues can be coached/taught and minimized. 

That's an element of good coaching/teaching, but someone has take time to do it.       

Now is Ifedi an all-pro capable player?  No, not really.  But he is a solid middle of road NFL OL with upside to be good IMO.

It's more fun to predict success than failure.   Predicting failure will make you correct a lot more though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I don't think Ifedi was a bad player in Seattle and he certainly hasn't been bad with Bears.   I went back and watched him when Bears acquired him. 

I think he got in Seattle doghouse by making his biggest mistakes in big moments in big games.   He tends to have a pattern of making back to back mistakes that compound things.    Those tend to really stick in your craw and it's understandable.   I think that is why other teams didn't make a move on him.  

Overall he was a decent to good player IMO. 

That pattern leads me to believe it is mental rather than physical and is likely correctable if someone would identify it and help him with it in some way.   Rather than just pawn it off as that is just way he is.    I think that is not true of a lot of things.   If you aren't just dumb and you have physical capability to do a thing - most problems/issues can be coached/taught and minimized. 

That's an element of good coaching/teaching, but someone has take time to do it.       

Now is Ifedi an all-pro capable player?  No, not really.  But he is a solid middle of road NFL OL with upside to be good IMO.

It's more fun to predict success than failure.   Predicting failure will make you correct a lot more though.

He is a solid starting RT.

We should never settle for that in the future.

The Charles Leno Law: don’t settle for average OLMen.

You want your young QB and your offense to thrive… put him behind an above average OL.

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

If you aren't just dumb and you have physical capability to do a thing - most problems/issues can be coached/taught and minimized. 

Agreed 110%, especially with OL play in my football world.

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Story of my life and this team, my friend. Only player in recent memory I hated from jump-street and never let go was Kevin White. Did not like him one bit during the pre-draft process, hated that we drafted him, loathed what he did (didn't?) do for us.

9 hours ago, G08 said:

Are you of the opinion offensive linemen can't develop/improve? He's being coached different techniques here compared to what he did in Seattle.

Ifedi has already improved, IMO. And he's just, what, 27? Something like that? He could still get even better. 

9 hours ago, G08 said:

Pace had a 3rd round grade on him apparently. Hell, if Ifedi winds up being a hit we can consider kicking Borom inside to RG if Daniels gets injured, doesn't perofrm, or wants way too much money.

A lot of people had Borom pretty highly graded--and Graham, as well. Apparently they suffered from the cluster**** Covid put on the draft. They may both be steals...

8 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Leno is graded out as the 28th OT in the NFL, in a 32 team league that is pretty much dead average.

Well, that's below average, isn't it? TBH, I'm kinda surprised he's 28th. Seems high. 

Edited by Heinz D.

43 minutes ago, G08 said:

Agreed 110%, especially with OL play in my football world.

Story of my life and this team, my friend. Only player in recent memory I hated from jump-street and never let go was Kevin White. Did not like him one bit during the pre-draft process, hated that we drafted him, loathed what he did (didn't?) do for us.

I kind of liked KW pick.   I didn’t love taking a WR that early, but knew it was a huge need at time.  Bears had zero speed or offensive play makers at time and KW seemed to check both boxes.    

Still if I was picking I probably would have traded down if possible or taken Beasley instead who also didn’t turn out great.  But that wasn’t a great draft anyway.    

Bears have never taken my first or second choice in draft so I stopped even hoping for guys or scouting hard and just waited to see how it went.

But I can’t say I hated this year going Fields/Jenkins.  I would have been okay with Jenkins in first round, to get both in one draft was nice.   

I think Mac Jones is extremely intriguing and probably if I am being honest like him a bit better than Fields, but I think he is wrong QB for Nagy/Pace regime.  I think they need a guy who can make plays on his own with his legs and Mac isn’t that guy.     

I think he couldn’t have landed in a better place than NE for his style of play.  I hope he starts this year.  

I can say I hated Floyd and Shea picks in real time and wasn’t a big fan of Long pick due to positional value.

Trubisky pick was so far out of left field for me I really can’t say I had an opinion. It was totally unexpected.   

I was thinking it was Adams or Lattimore or a trade down.  

I supported it and tried to rationalize it being a hopeful Bears fan, but it was kind of shocking internally.

I don’t have that feeling at all with Fields and Fields is 4th QB taken.  Which is weird.   

Fields can still bust pretty easy, don’t get me wrong.  

But big difference between guy who has won at every stop and been the man in a lot of big games against good competition.

Doesn’t feel like such a reach compared to a one year starter at a non-football school.  

Did Bears ever say which coach banged table hard for Mooney in draft?

Pace talked about it in some interviews.  

I assume it was Furrey, but who knows really.  

That was a good value.  

Kind of wild he started that fast with all the guys ahead of him and drafted as well.   Bears almost never do that with lower drafted rookies even when a guy is showing out in practice.   He must have been dominating.  

• Like 1

Ifedi isn’t a long term answer at RT. He is a solid stop gap veteran on a reasonable 1 year deal.

This Pro Bowl talk is Castillo hyping up his guy.

He improved last year and still wasn’t very good. We were also running the MItch training wheels offense, which the goal has to be to get away from now.

5 hours ago, Heinz D. said:
13 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Leno is graded out as the 28th OT in the NFL, in a 32 team league that is pretty much dead average.

Well, that's below average, isn't it? TBH, I'm kinda surprised he's 28th. Seems high. 

28th among all OTs not just LTs, meaning 28th of 64 starting OTs. 

18 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I kind of liked KW pick.   I didn’t love taking a WR that early, but knew it was a huge need at time.  Bears had zero speed or offensive play makers at time and KW seemed to check both boxes.

Woof, not me. That was the first year they held the NFL Draft in Chicago and I was there with some buddies getting after it. Was BS'ing with other football fans around us for a couple hours before the draft started and I was going on and on about how much I hate Kevin White and how I think he's unrefined and a future bust. I wanted Amari Cooper badly but he went 4, then I wanted Leonard Williams but he went the pick before us at 6.

Vic Beasley was the next guy on my "board". So of course we pick Kevin White and EEEEVERYBODY I was BS'ing with let out an audible "OHHHHHHHH" and turned to look at me lol.

• Like 1