Bears have OT Morgan Moses for a visit

18 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Did Bears ever say which coach banged table hard for Mooney in draft?

Pace talked about it in some interviews.  

I assume it was Furrey, but who knows really.

It was Mike Furrey, yep.

14 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

28th among all OTs not just LTs, meaning 28th of 64 starting OTs. 

And don't forget starters that get hurt and replacements come in to play.

Leno was fine, we got what we paid for.

8 hours ago, G08 said:

And don't forget starters that get hurt and replacements come in to play.

Leno was fine, we got what we paid for.

We shouldn’t pay for “fine” in the future.

Fine, average, good enough, should not be descriptors we use for the OL anymore.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

We shouldn’t pay for “fine” in the future.

Fine, average, good enough, should not be descriptors we use for the OL anymore.

Agreed, if I had my way we'd have elite across the board.

22 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

28th among all OTs not just LTs, meaning 28th of 64 starting OTs. 

Yeah...exactly what I was getting at. Seems high. 

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

Yeah...exactly what I was getting at. Seems high. 

Most backups don’t play enough snaps to qualify. There are usually only 65-75 guys who qualify depending on the year.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

Agreed, if I had my way we'd have elite across the board.

You can have guys who are fine, average, not bad, you just shouldn’t be paying them big money on multi year deals.

If you do that, like Massie and Leno, it keeps you from searching for better players.

The Bears drafted 1 OT in the Massie and Leno era… and neither was more than an average NFL starter. How do average NFL starters not compete for their jobs?

22 hours ago, WindyCity said:

How do average NFL starters not compete for their jobs?

Asset relocation. You want to make Khalil Mack the highest paid defensive player ever (at the time) then you have to cut elsewhere.

25 minutes ago, G08 said:

Asset relocation. You want to make Khalil Mack the highest paid defensive player ever (at the time) then you have to cut elsewhere.

It was stupid spending and resource allocation.

Most expensive defense in the league and a cheap and bad offense in the years 2018-2020.

It is the 2nd most critical failure of the Pace era. You took a young inexperienced QB that you invested heavily in and put him behind at best an average OL that was most often worse than that.

21 hours ago, WindyCity said:

It was stupid spending and resource allocation.

Most expensive defense in the league and a cheap and bad offense in the years 2018-2020.

It is the 2nd most critical failure of the Pace era. You took a young inexperienced QB that you invested heavily in and put him behind at best an average OL that was most often worse than that.

I don’t disagree at all that asset allocation was flawed. With that said. it’s also not realistic to expect legit competition at every position where you don’t have a good or great starter. Every team has guys penned in as starters from whom they’d like to upgrade.

Regarding Leno in particular, some of who gets paid comes down to circumstance too. I don’t remember who our other options may have been at the time when he was set for a new deal but if the market was thin when decision time came down on Leno our options may well have been:

-Pay an average-ish starter in Leno like a good starter or;

-Move on to a rookie (at the expense of another need position) or a lower tier FA who is cheaper, but a lesser player than Leno

It’s not as though Leno’s side doesn’t also know the market too. 30% of the league starts crappy LTs every week. Average-ish, durable starters like Leno at LT are well paid.

This wasn’t meant to be a defense of signing Leno to the deal we did, though it kind of ended up as that. Paying Leno was never a great idea. But, at the time of the move, it may have been the best of a bunch of bad options too. 

In terms of Leno, don’t draft a 5th 4th/5th round DB and take an OT that can compete.

Unlikely to take Leno’s job, but at least someone who can push him.

Instead, we drafted 1 OT in 6 years and he never even made the team.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

In terms of Leno, don’t draft a 5th 4th/5th round DB and take an OT that can compete.

Unlikely to take Leno’s job, but at least someone who can push him.

Instead, we drafted 1 OT in 6 years and he never even made the team.

I don’t disagree. But you’re doing so after you’ve already had to pay him that point too. Had we lowballed him instead of 4/37 he’s probably gone to FA after 2017. 

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

I don’t disagree. But you’re doing so after you’ve already had to pay him that point too. Had we lowballed him instead of 4/37 he’s probably gone to FA after 2017. 

That is fine. Just because you paid him doesn’t mean you can’t have him compete and have depth.

We had 2 really good CBs and we kept drafting day 3 CBs.

We have the most expensive OLB group ever… still drafted an OLB.

Under investing in the OL has been a staple of the Pace era and it is a big reason our offenses have sucked.

10 hours ago, WindyCity said:

That is fine. Just because you paid him doesn’t mean you can’t have him compete and have depth.

We had 2 really good CBs and we kept drafting day 3 CBs.

We have the most expensive OLB group ever… still drafted an OLB.

Under investing in the OL has been a staple of the Pace era and it is a big reason our offenses have sucked.

Agreed.  Finally addressed it this year.   Needs to keep drafting guys like Borom. OTs with traits and upside in middle rounds.   Most won’t hit, but keep a pipeline.   

I wouldn’t ever draft a G unless he had superstar potential. 

• Like 1