Bears have OT Morgan Moses for a visit

WindyCity

24 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Agreed.  Finally addressed it this year.   Needs to keep drafting guys like Borom. OTs with traits and upside in middle rounds.   Most won’t hit, but keep a pipeline.   

I wouldn’t ever draft a G unless he had superstar potential. 

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9524525be3de124adfa53

DLL's words slappin' harder than my dad's belt use to. 

23 hours ago, WindyCity said:

That is fine. Just because you paid him doesn’t mean you can’t have him compete and have depth.

Depth sure, but c’mon, you know as well as I do a 4th or 5th round pick almost certainly wasn’t going to be legitimately pushing Leno for reps. 

11 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Depth sure, but c’mon, you know as well as I do a 4th or 5th round pick almost certainly wasn’t going to be legitimately pushing Leno for reps. 

I'm not so sure about that. Maybe not out of the gate, but later on? 

12 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I'm not so sure about that. Maybe not out of the gate, but later on? 

Well, year 1 of the extension (2017) you’re not having him compete for the job because you just signed him to a 4-year deal at $9M per that says the job is his, and year 2 of the extension (2018) was his best season after which he ended up in the Pro Bowl, so he’s not going to be competing for his starting spot in 2019 either. At best, last year we could’ve taken someone where he’s competing, and we did take 2 OL in round 7. Those guys wouldn’t have been legit competition until this year at best, when instead we replaced him with a high 2nd round pick. We could have gone OL in round 2 last year, but IMO TE and CB2 were bigger needs, or at minimum comparable needs. As for the other guys drafted ahead of the OL last year, Gipson was a need pick since we had (and still arguably have) basically no EDGE depth, Vildor at least in the eyes of the coaching staff made Kyle Fuller somewhat expendable, and Mooney was a day 1 starter at WR and is already a key piece to our offense. 

10 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

As for the other guys drafted ahead of the OL last year, Gipson was a need pick since we had (and still arguably have) basically no EDGE depth...

I did like the Gipson pick. Hope that kid makes it, and takes a big step forward this year. 

20 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Well, year 1 of the extension (2017) you’re not having him compete for the job because you just signed him to a 4-year deal at $9M per that says the job is his, and year 2 of the extension (2018) was his best season after which he ended up in the Pro Bowl, so he’s not going to be competing for his starting spot in 2019 either. At best, last year we could’ve taken someone where he’s competing, and we did take 2 OL in round 7. Those guys wouldn’t have been legit competition until this year at best, when instead we replaced him with a high 2nd round pick. We could have gone OL in round 2 last year, but IMO TE and CB2 were bigger needs, or at minimum comparable needs. As for the other guys drafted ahead of the OL last year, Gipson was a need pick since we had (and still arguably have) basically no EDGE depth, Vildor at least in the eyes of the coaching staff made Kyle Fuller somewhat expendable, and Mooney was a day 1 starter at WR and is already a key piece to our offense. 

You can still draft an OT at any time. Jason Spriggs roster spot needed to be saved?

On 7/3/2021 at 11:56 PM, AZBearsFan said:

We have no idea. If you drafted an OT version of Jackson or Nichols they could have easily taken one of the OT jobs and offered an upgrade.

The only way you have 0 chance is if you don’t draft them at all.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I did like the Gipson pick. Hope that kid makes it, and takes a big step forward this year. 

Pace has not been able to find Edge in draft and it has cost him.    He keeps trying to find upside projects with traits and they aren't working out.

Whatever criteria he is using he needs to change it.   Maybe Gipson changes his bad streak.

In his defense good edge players go in top 15 usually.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, WindyCity said:

We knew Leno and Massie’s ceilings. Players should have been developing behind them.

He passed on Tunsil in draft when many people had him as number 1 overall prospect and Conklin was up for bid in FA and would have been an excellent fit rather than spending that money elsewhere.   Either or both would have helped team tremendously.  

Butterfly effect is totally different, but Miami turned Tunsil into like 50 first rounders.   

He has never even tried to draft OTs in mid rounds until this year.   

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Pace has not been able to find Edge in draft and it has cost him.    He keeps trying to find upside projects with traits and they aren't working out.

Gipson did flash some towards the end of last year. Should have got more PT early, but, you know, Nagy. 

On 7/5/2021 at 8:19 PM, WindyCity said:

You can still draft an OT at any time. Jason Spriggs roster spot needed to be saved?

I agree they should have been developing players behind Leno and/or Massie. That wasn’t the post to which I responded. That post was talking about those depth guys pushing Leno for his starting spot. It wasn’t realistic that would happen until maybe this past year. Maybe. 

10 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I agree they should have been developing players behind Leno and/or Massie. That wasn’t the post to which I responded. That post was talking about those depth guys pushing Leno for his starting spot. It wasn’t realistic that would happen until maybe this past year. Maybe. 

He should have been benched mid way through the 2019 season. He was utterly terrible that year and we had no one to turn to.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

He should have been benched mid way through the 2019 season. He was utterly terrible that year and we had no one to turn to.

Eh.  It's just like not bringing in any even remotely viable QB options for years.  Every GM has to pick areas to focus on, and Pace thought he had QB nailed and so focused on defensive positions and neglected QB and OT and it yielded poor and shallow offensive play and a team that would need statistically amazing defensive play to compete.  Didn't really work but somehow he gets a second chance and seems to have completely changed his approach to a more modern team building;  drafting high and low for OT seems better to me and he's doing it.  As much as we rightfully dump on Pace for the contracts and focus on D,  you have to admit he's mixing it up and I like this seasons approach better. Now, if Fields works out I just hope he stops mortgaging the future every single year and someday actually drafts one of those QB projects in the middle roudns. 

On 7/7/2021 at 8:53 AM, RunningVaccs said:

Every GM has to pick areas to focus on, and Pace thought he had QB nailed and so focused on defensive positions and neglected QB and OT and it yielded poor and shallow offensive play and a team that would need statistically amazing defensive play to compete. 

Pace thought he had it nailed, when many of us here DID NOT.

Since the Bears folks are lurking here now (😉)...Spurious George, float me a PM! I wanted QB and OT last year! Hire me up! I'll take half of what Pace makes per year! Maybe even less!!! 😄