Why hasn't the Dallas Cowboys get over the hump for the past 25 years?

Championshiporbust

The team has barely treaded water as a team that hasn't been a doormat since Jimmy Johnson was fired. Jerry can't find the right coach, and has micro managed the team as essentially the GM ever since. And the results have shown. The Cowboys won't be a Super Bowl contender until he's out of the picture. He'll have wasted Dak Prescot's career in addition to Tony Romo's. 

• Like 2

I think they've had great teams, but the elite positions have not all come together for one single season yet. That great OL, for example, wasn't at Dak's peak (which is now), the elite receiving corps is during the time with one of the worst secondaries in football. 

If they could hook up all their talent at once, they'd maybe win the SB. 

when they were dominant in the 90s, they didn't necessarily have the ultimate star players, but everywhere was at least competent. That tends to be a good blueprint, IMO. 

Those 90s dynasties are known for the triplets, but that defense is what got them ahead of the pack. Jimmy Johnson was one of the first coaches to treat his DL like a hockey line, rotating guys in and out on drive to drive basis - constantly rotating bodies in and out, keeping a fresh rotation of pass rushing DL to keep pressure going through the game.

It's sort of commonplace now, but back then it was a distinct advantage.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

The defense let Romo down and the defense is gonna let Dak down Lawrence regressed as well as the linebackers and you don't build great defense's overpaying guys.

I like Romo but their best chance at SB was 2007 and they crapped themselves against Eli and Gmen. I remember everyone had them taking on the Patriots in the SB that season. 

14 hours ago, iknowcool said:

They've had some pretty unfortunate playoff losses.  I think they could have beaten the Seahawks in the 2014 NFCCG if they didn't get Rodgers'd. 

Dallas would have have won that game if the refs knew a what a catch is.