Why hasn't the Dallas Cowboys get over the hump for the past 25 years?

Championshiporbust

On 6/1/2021 at 11:18 PM, TecmoSuperJoe said:

The team has barely treaded water as a team that hasn't been a doormat since Jimmy Johnson was fired. Jerry can't find the right coach, and has micro managed the team as essentially the GM ever since. And the results have shown. The Cowboys won't be a Super Bowl contender until he's out of the picture. He'll have wasted Dak Prescot's career in addition to Tony Romo's. 

Jimmy quit. He was NOT fired:

Fast forward to 41:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDNopylh4mo

Jerry stopped meddling a decade ago.  That was proved when Tyron was the first pick that year. Jerry would NEVER have drafted an OT in the first round.

• Like 1

I'll take a stab at this.  I'll try to be unbiased.  

- They've had non-football people in charge for the majority of the time since the last SB.  The best roster Dallas has had IMO in the past 25 years is when they handed the reigns over to Bill Parcells and he drafted them one hell of a defense and put together a solid offense (and found Romo). Other than that stretch the people making decisions IMO don't have the qualifications to be putting together a roster.

- Other than Bill Parcells they've had poor coaching staffs.  This is a product of the first problem though, because a high quality coach isn't going to work for a Front Office that shouldn't be running a FO. 

- Their rosters have generally been top heavy with star players but poor depth. This again goes hand in hand with the bad FO, but poor drafting, especially in the middle to late rounds has left Dallas with some really poor depth. 

- They like to Zig when others are Zagging.  This has actually worked to Dallas' benefit sometimes, they decided to go nuts with a lot of highly drafted Olineman during a stretch when some teams were trying to go cheap there.  This resulted in Dallas having one of the best Olines in the league for awhile.  But then they do weird stuff too like overvaluing off the ball linebackers while ignoring their Dline.  It seems at times like they really want to say they "won" a draft or come off looking like they outsmarted everyone else instead of just building a good roster.  

- Counterintuitive to the zigging while zagging, they like to hire coaching staffs with tired retread ideas.  If you're trying to be different from a FO perspective, get a coaching staff that thinks out of the box too.  There seems to be no top to bottom cohesion in this organization. 

- Finally, they always seem too worried about the upcoming season rather than planning 3 years ahead.  They want their fans to think they are a SB contender every year even if they aren't, so the FO seems to operate every year like they are anyways.  

Edited by MKnight82
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, ET80 said:

Tom Brady is a unicorn, we're not going to see another one for a very, very long time.

Probably ever again, if we're being honest. 

I was never a "fan" of his, but when I hear complaints, I tell people to just enjoy it for the mere fact that it'll probably never happen again. 

Most guys will play 15 years or so as a full time starter if they're both really really good and really really lucky. Spending 1/2 of that career winning a Superbowl (and appearing in numerous others along the way) is truly the stuff of legend. 

I wonder what the Vegas odds on such things would've been back in 02. 

7 hours ago, TVScout said:

Jimmy quit. He was NOT fired:

Fast forward to 41:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDNopylh4mo

Jerry stopped meddling a decade ago.  That was proved when Tyron was the first pick that year. Jerry would NEVER have drafted an OT in the first round.

"It's a real long shot," Aikman said. "It's unlikely Jerry will ever bring somebody in who can help this team in that regard because he's been real stubborn and steadfast that he's the one in charge. I think in a lot of ways, until that changes, this team is going to have some problems. 

Cowboys' Jerry Jones responds to Troy Aikman's criticism: 'He would do it exactly how I do it' - CBSSports.com

While you may think Aikman’s comments were harsh considering his history with the Cowboys, he’s not the only one who believes Jerry Jones the general manager is not doing a great job. Aikman is not downplaying what Jones has done as a team owner, but as an owner he needs to be able to evaluate the job he is doing if he wants to make personnel decisions. You could argue that his performance has been poor in that area in recent years.

Michael Irvin defends Jerry Jones against Troy Aikman's criticism (larrybrownsports.com)

“I’ve always thought that when you cut out the person between the decision-maker and the people doing the recommending, then you can make quicker, more succinct and more responsive decisions,” Jones said Tuesday on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas. “The very first press conference I was ever involved in I explained to everybody how I was going to run the Dallas Cowboys since I owned them. The very first one. I said that I would be involved in everything from this to socks and jocks, and I’m not trying to be cute. There has never been any doubt in anybody’s mind how I run the Dallas Cowboys and how I ran the Cowboys from the day I got here.

“Nobody can exchange a player, nobody can do anything unless I have approved it tacitly or otherwise. Nobody can have the authority to make a trade or a change or deal a draft pick since I owned the Cowboys, unless I approve it. Within the organization some people like a coach or some people like a player personnel director or some people like a marketing manager, they may have decision-making authority above people below them, but as far as having any authority to do that above them as it pertains to me, that has never been the case with the Dallas Cowboys. Never. . . . Nobody never has had the final say but me. Now, you really know I don’t like to say that. But that’s a fact. And, so, when we don’t do good, we all know who the ultimate total responsibility is.”s his ongoing role as G.M. of the Cowboys - ProFootballTalk (nbcsports.com)

12 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Jerry meddles way too much. 

They stuck with the Clapper way too long. 

They got screwed over a couple of times in the playoffs. 

There was a time the NFCE was really good top to bottom during that stretch. 

Romo got hurt a time or two. 

Jerry got giddy over the "new" Aikman, Smith, Irvin set up and the D began to regress a bit. 

Luck. It's just not easy. They've had some Superbowl worthy teams to be sure. As have the Packers, Cardinals, Vikings, Bears, Saints, etc- all of whom have 1 or 0 appearances in the same span. 

New York and Philadelphia have had multiple appearances (and wins) in their own division, further speaking to the quality of the division over the years. 

The NFC was dominated by Seattle for a time. 

If every team had a turn each year, that's once every 16 years. Miss it just that once, it could be 32. Take some extra years for dominant runs (Seattle) and down years for a team, and voila, 25 years can go by exceptionally fast. So a huge part is just luck. 

I keep seeing people referencing the Dez Bryant catch without mentioning the defensive PI non call against the Lions. If you're going to blame officials, have to call that even.

They also had a first round bye twice in this span - the second time coming with a rookie QB and RB, where I know I guaranteed they wouldn't win a playoff game that year.

So that's maybe two true Super Bowl contending rosters in that span. 

3 hours ago, Shockwave said:

"It's a real long shot," Aikman said. "It's unlikely Jerry will ever bring somebody in who can help this team in that regard because he's been real stubborn and steadfast that he's the one in charge. I think in a lot of ways, until that changes, this team is going to have some problems. 

Cowboys' Jerry Jones responds to Troy Aikman's criticism: 'He would do it exactly how I do it' - CBSSports.com

While you may think Aikman’s comments were harsh considering his history with the Cowboys, he’s not the only one who believes Jerry Jones the general manager is not doing a great job. Aikman is not downplaying what Jones has done as a team owner, but as an owner he needs to be able to evaluate the job he is doing if he wants to make personnel decisions. You could argue that his performance has been poor in that area in recent years.

Michael Irvin defends Jerry Jones against Troy Aikman's criticism (larrybrownsports.com)

“I’ve always thought that when you cut out the person between the decision-maker and the people doing the recommending, then you can make quicker, more succinct and more responsive decisions,” Jones said Tuesday on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas. “The very first press conference I was ever involved in I explained to everybody how I was going to run the Dallas Cowboys since I owned them. The very first one. I said that I would be involved in everything from this to socks and jocks, and I’m not trying to be cute. There has never been any doubt in anybody’s mind how I run the Dallas Cowboys and how I ran the Cowboys from the day I got here.

“Nobody can exchange a player, nobody can do anything unless I have approved it tacitly or otherwise. Nobody can have the authority to make a trade or a change or deal a draft pick since I owned the Cowboys, unless I approve it. Within the organization some people like a coach or some people like a player personnel director or some people like a marketing manager, they may have decision-making authority above people below them, but as far as having any authority to do that above them as it pertains to me, that has never been the case with the Dallas Cowboys. Never. . . . Nobody never has had the final say but me. Now, you really know I don’t like to say that. But that’s a fact. And, so, when we don’t do good, we all know who the ultimate total responsibility is.”s his ongoing role as G.M. of the Cowboys - ProFootballTalk (nbcsports.com)

That is all propaganda:

Jerry Jones wanted to pick Johnny Manziel, had draft card 'snatched'

Jerry Jones really, really wanted Johnny Manziel in the 2014 NFL Draft. So much so that his son had to intervene.

The Draft is really under the control of Steven and company.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/8/18/6032989/johnny-manziel-jerry-jones-nfl-draft-cowboys

On 6/1/2021 at 10:00 PM, Championshiporbust said:

They haven't won a Super Bowl in 25 years, they usually have the most expensive contracts year after year, get primetime games every single Sunday, but show nothing for it. Is it Jerry Jones, their defense, their ideology, what is it? 

Superbowls are hard? 

On 6/1/2021 at 11:18 PM, TecmoSuperJoe said:

The team has barely treaded water as a team that hasn't been a doormat since Jimmy Johnson was fired. Jerry can't find the right coach, and has micro managed the team as essentially the GM ever since. And the results have shown. The Cowboys won't be a Super Bowl contender until he's out of the picture. He'll have wasted Dak Prescot's career in addition to Tony Romo's. 

Weve won a pretty regular amount of division titles the last ~10-15 years. Thats better than "barely treaded water". And Jerry stopped micro managing in the early 2000's. He gave it up completely with Garrett. 

On 6/2/2021 at 9:56 AM, Chargers said:

I like Romo but their best chance at SB was 2007 and they crapped themselves against Eli and Gmen. I remember everyone had them taking on the Patriots in the SB that season. 

Obligatory "damn Patrick Crayton" for 2007

Edited by Matts4313

2 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Weve won a pretty regular amount of division titles the last ~10-15 years. Thats better than "barely treaded water". And Jerry stopped micro managing in the early 2000's. He gave it up completely with Garrett. 

Well...I'll just say that it's not good optics when it seems like every draft in the war room Jerry is at the table looking like the head honcho doing all the wheelin and dealin. Maybe he really is more hands off now, but...does he still have final say? Or is he just more "open minded"? I guess any owner technically has "final say", but it's harder to give Jerry the benefit of the doubt. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe