Why hasn't the Dallas Cowboys get over the hump for the past 25 years?

Championshiporbust

36 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

There are currently 32 teams in the league.  If you win one Super Bowl every 32 years, you are doing what you should do.  If you win more often than that, you have been over achieving.  Less than one in the same time span means your team hasn't even been average.  It doesn't always work this way though. 

For example, if you flip a coin, you don't get heads every other time.  Sometimes you go for a streak of getting many tails in a row.  The Cowboys may be in a streak of years that seems like a long time to us, but they are still averaging one championship every 10 years since 1971.  That's pretty darn good.  Even though it has been a while since the last one, they have been tremendously successful.

Interesting thought but I wouldn't approach it this way. What you see in reality is that there are a few massive overachievers by this standard (Pats, 49'ers, Cowboys, Packers, Giants, WFT, Broncos, Steelers, Ravens and a few I'm missing), only a couple of average teams (Chiefs, Buccaneers and most other 2x SB champs) and the rest would just be bad (1x SB champs like the Saints) to horrible (any team that hasn't won the SB).

5 hours ago, DutchFalcon said:

Interesting thought but I wouldn't approach it this way. What you see in reality is that there are a few massive overachievers by this standard (Pats, 49'ers, Cowboys, Packers, Giants, WFT, Broncos, Steelers, Ravens and a few I'm missing), only a couple of average teams (Chiefs, Buccaneers and most other 2x SB champs) and the rest would just be bad (1x SB champs like the Saints) to horrible (any team that hasn't won the SB).

Well, the cap was introduced in the mid 90's, so this standard should really only be applied for the past ~25 years. But how would you approach it? Uncle Buck is right, that is how the NFL is designed. Obviously it doesnt work out that way though. 

On 6/4/2021 at 3:42 AM, Matts4313 said:

Obligatory "damn Patrick Crayton" for 2007

The Giants are a Crayton drop in 07 and an overthrow in 2011 (Romo overthrowing Miles Austin against the Giants late in their Week 14 matchup when Dallas was up by five) from not having any rings in the Eli-Coughlin era.

Edited by 7DnBrnc53

3 minutes ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

The Giants are a Crayton drop in 07 and an overthrow in 2011 (Romo overthrowing Miles Austin against the Giants late in their Week 14 matchup when Dallas was up by five) from not having any rings in the Eli-Coughlin era.

That overthrow Austin said he didnt see the ball as he was starring into the lights. Just pure unlucky.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

That overthrow Austin said he didnt see the ball as he was starring into the lights. Just pure unlucky.

Yes. And that's why Eli doesn't belong anywhere near the HOF. If Austin sees (and catches) that ball, Boys (or Eagles) win the division, Packers go on to win second straight SB, and Andy Reid takes over for Coughlin in 2013 after the Giants miss the playoffs after a 6-2 start (yes, I still think that happens even if they don't win it in 2011).

Also, three QB's have different legacies. Eli is probably traded to an AFC Team, Reid still trades for Alex Smith, and Tebow is traded to Jacksonville (the Jets only traded for him because they needed attention after the Giant SB win. Without that title, I don't see that trade happening).

Edited by 7DnBrnc53
  • Like 1

They have never been good enough to be lucky. 

There good players get payed like elite players.

They are good at drafting, but pretty average in free agency

They hired mike sherman, who should be out of the league, he hired mike nolan who should coach high school. They are better at marketing than being a great franchise.

Edited by Kiwibrown
  • Like 1

The answer is that since Parcells was in town, they have neglected the defense. Parcells got them a great draft haul in 2005, but they never built on it. Add some spectacular fails with early round LB--remember Bobby Carpenter?--they wasted the career of the best QB in franchise history (I see your hand Roger. Not you).

4 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

They have never been good enough to be lucky. 

There good players get payed like elite players.

They are good at drafting, but pretty average in free agency

They hired mike sherman, who should be out of the league, he hired mike nolan who should coach high school. They are better at marketing than being a great franchise.

You are drunk my friend.

4 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

The answer is that since Parcells was in town, they have neglected the defense. Parcells got them a great draft haul in 2005, but they never built on it. Add some spectacular fails with early round LB--remember Bobby Carpenter?--they wasted the career of the best QB in franchise history (I see your hand Roger. Not you).

Staubach is the best. And we really havent "neglected" defense, weve just done a poor job with our defensive selections/FA signings.

7 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Staubach is the best. And we really havent "neglected" defense, weve just done a poor job with our defensive selections/FA signings.

Danny White was better than Staubach and their careers were close enough that comparisons are workable. Tony Romo is the best QB they have ever had. It's too bad his career was so short. The roster was sub .500 most of his career, but he pulled them up to 8-8, with a couple playoff teams. 

You make a valid point about drafting badly for defense, but more can be said about Jerry wanting new toys and neglecting the grunts.

J

Edited by onejayhawk

JJ is a rock star in the rich guy world. It's his personna, and he likes those kinds of players. He doesn't try to acquire team players, he wants stars. the problem is, those stand out players are more often than not....about themselves. Jerry has failed to build a locker room of "family". 

17 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Danny White was better than Staubach and their careers were close enough that comparisons are workable. Tony Romo is the best QB they have ever had. It's too bad his career was so short. The roster was sub .500 most of his career, but he pulled them up to 8-8, with a couple playoff teams. 

You make a valid point about drafting badly for defense, but more can be said about Jerry wanting new toys and neglecting the grunts.

J

You win the hot take award, sir. Well done.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Warhorse said:

JJ is a rock star in the rich guy world. It's his personna, and he likes those kinds of players. He doesn't try to acquire team players, he wants stars. the problem is, those stand out players are more often than not....about themselves. Jerry has failed to build a locker room of "family". 

I dont know about all this. The Cowboys players are extremely tight knit and have been for over a decade.

44 minutes ago, JohnChimpo said:

You win the hot take award, sir. Well done.

Yeah. I cant possibly fathom how anyone can argue Danny is better than Staubach. When Staubach retired he was considered by many to be the GOAT, or at least in the top 2-3 all time.

• Like 1