How does Aaron Rodgers stack up against retired greats?

NeptunePenguins

In a league dominated by QBs, Aaron Rodgers has dominated the past decade. Many debates exist with him against Tom Brady, but not many with him against other retired Hall of Fame or future Hall of Fame QBs. Most notably Peyton Manning, Joe Montana, and Dan Marino. Now I am not going to bring up current QBs like Brady, Brees, or Roethlisberger. Those guys are off limits for this topic. Nevertheless, any retired QB you can debate as being above Rodgers. Whether it is Peyton or Montana. Whether Bradshaw or Unitas. Heck whether Favre or Elway. How does he compare to the retired greats?

Would you take him ahead of Montana or Marino? Is he better than them? Answer in any way you feel. You can use any sort of argument; stats, talent, clutchness, accomplish. You can argue from a resume or overall skills point of view. Have fun!

Rodgers needs to amass more rings if he wants to stand among the greats. He simply has to come through in the playoffs far more often, there can be no excuses for not attaining greatness, I repeat, None!!! So, if you are going to make excuses for him, you are just admitting he does not yet belong with the great QB's of the game. Certainly, the potential is there, but potential does not equate to success.

5 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Well it's 1 Super Bowl win vs 0. isn't t?

Marino got to the playoffs 62.5% of his career.

Rodgers 88%.

Marino First Team All Pro - 18.75% of career.

Rodgers - 22%.

Marino Championship game Appearances - 18.75% of career.

Rodgers - 33%.

Marino playoff win percentage - .444

Rodgers - .562

If you just look at play and physical ability, he might be the best ever.  But when you start comparing players, so much more comes into the picture and that surely knocks Rodgers down... a lot.  Like right now, Rodgers is nowhere near Brady's class because the amount of Superbowl rings, championship appearances, etc is just insanely in Brady's favor.  

Another thing, at least to me, is you tend to remember bad memories for Rodgers more than Brady because Brady has been so successful.  When I think of Brady, I instantly think of all the winning.  When I think of Rodgers, I think of losses in the postseason - like last year vs the Falcons in the NFC Championship game.  That was a straight up brutal loss.  Or the times Rodgers was unable to get past the Niners and Seahawks years ago.  Or the time the team was 15-1 and lost in the divisional round vs the Giants - and that game wasn't even particularly close if I am remembering correctly.

11 minutes ago, showtime said:

If you just look at play and physical ability, he might be the best ever.  But when you start comparing players, so much more comes into the picture and that surely knocks Rodgers down... a lot.  Like right now, Rodgers is nowhere near Brady's class because the amount of Superbowl rings, championship appearances, etc is just insanely in Brady's favor.  

Another thing, at least to me, is you tend to remember bad memories for Rodgers more than Brady because Brady has been so successful.  When I think of Brady, I instantly think of all the winning.  When I think of Rodgers, I think of losses in the postseason - like last year vs the Falcons in the NFC Championship game.  That was a straight up brutal loss.  Or the times Rodgers was unable to get past the Niners and Seahawks years ago.  Or the time the team was 15-1 and lost in the divisional round vs the Giants - and that game wasn't even particularly close if I am remembering correctly.

Yes, Rodgers hasn't had Brady's success (but nobody else in NFL has either since the SB era) but Rodgers is still has time to get another ring.  IMO it is up to Packers' management to surround him with a better defense than anything else.  I submit AR could have won more rings already if he swapped teams with Brady in 2008.

Archived