How does Aaron Rodgers stack up against retired greats?

NeptunePenguins

On 10/27/2017 at 5:00 PM, Kip Smithers said:

People who think Rodgers is all arm talent and athleticism and who doesn't have an elite grasp of the mental side are delusional. You don't be best QB just by your physical talent. 

Yeah, just ask Jeff George or Jay Cutler.  lol

Faithful Vikings fan here, Aaron Rodgers stacks up against any and every qb in history. I’m only 28 (actually just turned 28 on Friday) and I started watching football 20 years ago. I only got to see Peyton, Brady, Favre, Kurt Warner, and those guys of the early 2000’s. I looked up the other greats like Marino, Elway (watched him win both super bowls), Young, Montana, and other greats as well. Aaron’s got amazing arm strength with pin point accuracy. He can stay in the pocket or roll out and make the throws with the same exact accuracy. What separates him tho is his athleticism. 

This guy will juke the ish outta you, he isn’t Michael Vick but he will embarrass you lol. Those other guys were in trouble when the pocket collapses, manning against the Seahawks shows that. Put Rodgers on that team and they mess around and win that game. Receivers did get open sometimes, Peyton was just on his *** to fast to see it. Rogers avoids the sacks and makes plays, that is what separates him to me. I think he will go down as the greatest qb ever, and I’m a guy that worshipped Peyton Manning but also respected arguments for Tom Brady.

7 minutes ago, Illadelegend215 said:

Faithful Vikings fan here, Aaron Rodgers stacks up against any and every qb in history. I’m only 28 (actually just turned 28 on Friday) and I started watching football 20 years ago. I only got to see Peyton, Brady, Favre, Kurt Warner, and those guys of the early 2000’s. I looked up the other greats like Marino, Elway (watched him win both super bowls), Young, Montana, and other greats as well. Aaron’s got amazing arm strength with pin point accuracy. He can stay in the pocket or roll out and make the throws with the same exact accuracy. What separates him tho is his athleticism. 

This guy will juke the ish outta you, he isn’t Michael Vick but he will embarrass you lol. Those other guys were in trouble when the pocket collapses, manning against the Seahawks shows that. Put Rodgers on that team and they mess around and win that game. Receivers did get open sometimes, Peyton was just on his *** to fast to see it. Rogers avoids the sacks and makes plays, that is what separates him to me. I think he will go down as the greatest qb ever, and I’m a guy that worshipped Peyton Manning but also respected arguments for Tom Brady.

Needs rings to be considered the greatest. He's obviously as talented as they come.

On 10/29/2017 at 9:34 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

Needs rings to be considered the greatest. He's obviously as talented as they come.

Agreed. He will never be the GOAT unless the Packers can string together a couple superbowl wins but I firmly believe he is the most talented QB to ever play the position up to this point. 

On 10/27/2017 at 6:03 PM, Kip Smithers said:

Listen whether you think he is the best he has a very compelling argument. For the sake of argument let's say he is. 

In what sense, what makes those guys noticeably better in that aspect? It's easy to overlook his mental side because he's so flashy and plays a entertaining brand of QBing. 

You won't get an answer because there isn't one. Its just the media hypes up both Brady and Manning's mental capabilities while hyping up Rodgers accuracy and arm strength. Rodgers has been the best decision maker arguably in NFL history. His QB rating and interception to TD ratio confirm that. There is not anything mentally that those other two can do that Rodgers can't. 

Talent wise he's up there with Marino, Elway, and Young. He's crazy smart too, i'd say almost on par with Manning/Brady in that regard. In terms of leadership/intangibles/etc. he's also up there but this is really where Manning/Brady/Montana start to separate themselves from the pack/Rodgers.  I'm sure proving he's capable of winning multiple SBs will go a long way in demonstrating he's in that group with Manning/Brady/Montana. Hard to judge those leadership/intangibles qualities since we don't really get to see these guys interacting with their teammate often. You will hear about how they'd run thru a wall for their QB and try just that little bit harder for them. Those relationships matter a great deal. That trust/respect/no-quit attitude towards their QB leads to better play, leads to more clutch plays, leads to more winning, leads to more championships.

On 10/30/2017 at 11:10 AM, Spartacus said:

You won't get an answer because there isn't one. Its just the media hypes up both Brady and Manning's mental capabilities while hyping up Rodgers accuracy and arm strength. Rodgers has been the best decision maker arguably in NFL history. His QB rating and interception to TD ratio confirm that. There is not anything mentally that those other two can do that Rodgers can't. 

I mean, that’s easy to say but impossible to prove. Sure, we can all definitively say Brady/Manning have a better mental game than someone like Cutler or Kaepernick - it’s not only easy to see, but easy to prove. Not really the case here. If I disagreed and went to discuss this, what would we do? Quote coaches talking about how smart these guys are? Video clips of both guys making audibles pre-snap/mid-play adjustment post-snap? More quotes about how hard they prepare? All the guys will have dozens of examples in their favor. Really an impossible point to argue either way. 

Also, I very much disagree with Rodgers being the “best decision maker in NFL history”. Even if I had a strong grasp of every NFL QB’s decision making - I doubt anybody does - I’d still argue that it’s relatively a well enforced point that Rodgers has a tendency to hold the ball - especially longer than the other two QBs in question. Obviously these lead to big plays, miraculous escapes, and crazy throws, but it can also lead to sacks and injuries. It has in the past. You take that though, because the upside makes it worth it, but I don’t think that the claim you made is a strong one.  

More on topic, it vexes me that the physical talent aspect is misused here. Would anybody claim Rodgers has a better arm or better legs than Vick? Faster release, sure, and definitely more accurate/smarter. But I don’t really consider accuracy or smarts as a physical talent - I look more towards arm strength, ability to run, etc.  

I guess you could say it’s subjective? I could see an argument for accuracy being a physical talent but not one I’d agree with. A cannon arm and ability to run are things that a physically talented athlete will have, even if they didn’t play football. I’d argue accuracy and anticipation are not. But I digress.

On 10/30/2017 at 10:10 AM, Spartacus said:

except come up big when it matters

10 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

I mean, that’s easy to say but impossible to prove. Sure, we can all definitively say Brady/Manning have a better mental game than someone like Cutler or Kaepernick - it’s not only easy to see, but easy to prove. Not really the case here. If I disagreed and went to discuss this, what would we do? Quote coaches talking about how smart these guys are? Video clips of both guys making audibles pre-snap/mid-play adjustment post-snap? More quotes about how hard they prepare? All the guys will have dozens of examples in their favor. Really an impossible point to argue either way. 

Also, I very much disagree with Rodgers being the “best decision maker in NFL history”. Even if I had a strong grasp of every NFL QB’s decision making - I doubt anybody does - I’d still argue that it’s relatively a well enforced point that Rodgers has a tendency to hold the ball - especially longer than the other two QBs in question. Obviously these lead to big plays, miraculous escapes, and crazy throws, but it can also lead to sacks and injuries. It has in the past. You take that though, because the upside makes it worth it, but I don’t think that the claim you made is a strong one.  

I'm not necessarily claiming that Rodgers is the best but there is an argument that he is certainly up there. I was more responding to the general not as smart as Manning or Brady posts. I probably worded it a little too strongly but I did say "Arguably". 

8 hours ago, Asciimo said:

except come up big when it matters

Except he has on multiple occurrences come up when it matters but its obvious that your post has really no rational behind it. Every great QB in the NFL including Brady, Rodgers, and Manning have come up big while also coming up short on a number of occurrences. Sometimes it even happens in the same game shocking as that may be.  There is a lot more gray in the NFL than black and white that you seem to be spouting. 

3 hours ago, Spartacus said:

Except he has on multiple occurrences come up when it matters but its obvious that your post has really no rational behind it. Every great QB in the NFL including Brady, Rodgers, and Manning have come up big while also coming up short on a number of occurrences. Sometimes it even happens in the same game shocking as that may be.  There is a lot more gray in the NFL than black and white that you seem to be spouting. 

only 1 superbowl. hows that for a rationale?

On 10/29/2017 at 6:34 AM, Malik said:

Most talented QB to the play the game outside of say Steve Young maybe. (in a vacuum) It's still astonishing that a QB as great as him has only gone to 1 Super Bowl.

Marino, Young and Rodgers are the most physically talented QB's I've ever seen. They all have 1 Super Bowl in common 

2 hours ago, Spartacus said:

Oversimplified and idiotic. 

The other way is too. People like to pretend he was lighting it up in the majority of his playoff losses. The game was over against Atlanta before he did anything meaningful and his defense bailed him out to make the outcome vs Seaate look respectable 

Archived