2021 Green Bay Offensive Line

Refugee

3 hours ago, R T said:

LT - Yosh Nijman, LG - Jon Runyan, C - Lucas Patrick, RG - Royce Newman, RT - Billy Turner

Backups - Ben Braden, Jake Hanson, Dennis Kelly

This may well be the OL for the remainder of the 2021 season, do people believe the Packers can win a SB with this collection for the offensive front?   

Can and will are different things.  But I think that this won't be the reason that the team does not or cannot win the Super Bowl.  I will be very surprised if this is a great unit moving forward.  But I think they can be good enough.

Other units will have to get and remain healthy, and have to step their game up.  

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Yes.

Only because it is basically what we have played since week one.

Getting Bakh back means we still have a "plus" at LT.  Runyan has been solid.  Newman is up and down, but playing alright.  Turner is solid.  Patrick has been solid, and Myers might come back.

It is not ideal, but we've won with a similar line all season.

Disagree, you conveniently have swept Jenkins under the rug here. He was the one guy who they could count on winning down after down without ever needing help and they could scheme accordingly. He was the duct tape that held it all together, remove the duct tape and what happens? We will see soon enough.  

42 minutes ago, R T said:

Disagree, you conveniently have swept Jenkins under the rug here. He was the one guy who they could count on winning down after down without ever needing help and they could scheme accordingly. He was the duct tape that held it all together, remove the duct tape and what happens? We will see soon enough.  

Jenkins stepped in for Bakh.

I'm assuming that Bakh returns and replaces Jenkins at some point and time.

And it isn't like Jenkins played in all the game, he was out for a while, too.

My optimism has more to do with Stenavich than it does anything else.

Edited by vegas492

41 minutes ago, R T said:

We had a few games without Jenkins early on and fared pretty well. Your point stands that we are much worse off without him. The return of DB with Jenkins would have made us a very strong line with good depth. Now we need him to return in hopes of being a solid line with middling depth. We need to find away to rise to the moment, theOL  performance could make or break our chances in the postseason. 

4 minutes ago, Hawkfan191 said:

I didn't watch him as much as I wanted too, but anyone have any thoughts on how Yosh played?

very respectable.  IIRC he had one motion penalty, but otherwise he is quite an athlete at his dimensions.  He also had a GREAT TD celebration with AJ Dillon.  The Robot rules!

Edited by Dubz41
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawkfan191 said:

I didn't watch him as much as I wanted too, but anyone have any thoughts on how Yosh played?

I watched him a lot.  Big guys like him shouldn't be able to move like he can.  He might have the best, quickest feet on that entire line, even over Jenkins.  It's sick, in a good way.

I think he was a plus in pass protection.  And a neutral in the run game.  He can get beat across his face pretty easily.  He also tries to get low, but can't get low enough on some plays.  He's got some room to grow in the run game is what I'm saying.

But if you want a big guy with long arms and good feet as a blindside protector, he's passing that test.

I'm not sure that he won't compete for a starting tackle spot next season.  No offense to Turner.  Yosh just looks that good.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

I watched him a lot.  Big guys like him shouldn't be able to move like he can.  He might have the best, quickest feet on that entire line, even over Jenkins.  It's sick, in a good way.

I think he was a plus in pass protection.  And a neutral in the run game.  He can get beat across his face pretty easily.  He also tries to get low, but can't get low enough on some plays.  He's got some room to grow in the run game is what I'm saying.

But if you want a big guy with long arms and good feet as a blindside protector, he's passing that test.

I'm not sure that he won't compete for a starting tackle spot next season.  No offense to Turner.  Yosh just looks that good.

Is Yosh our future RT?  I haven't paid much attention to Turner .. must be doing pretty well, but I wonder if cap issues will lead to his departure, especially when it appears we have a young and cheap option behind him.

8 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Is Yosh our future RT?  I haven't paid much attention to Turner .. must be doing pretty well, but I wonder if cap issues will lead to his departure, especially when it appears we have a young and cheap option behind him.

To be fair to both players?  I think Turner is a better RT.  He's meaner in the run game.  Yosh still has quite the ceiling left, though.  I wouldn't count him out of RT, though with his traits, his best spot should be LT.  

If we had to move on from Turner for cap reasons, though, I wouldn't bat an eye at losing him if Yosh has to flip over there.

I hope he sticks around and is our swing tackle, or 6'th OL in some sets.  That would be the best case scenario.