2021 Green Bay Offensive Line

Refugee

With Jenkins out on COVID protocol the starting line looked like this today:

Turner, Runyan, Myers, Patrick, *Royce Newman

That is a young line but I like that guys are getting snaps. Turner said in his interview that the coaches don’t really tell guys until just before taking the field which position they will play. The idea is to keep players ready, trying to study the whole scheme of the line vs. just one piece of it. 

Edited by Refugee

16 minutes ago, Refugee said:

..Turner, Runyan, Myers, Patrick, Bryce....

Who is Bryce?  Or is that Braden, maybe?  

Is Nijman in Covid protocol?  Or I wonder if he just hasn't shown the development, and other UDFA have passed him?   

2 hours ago, WiscFan3 said:

I believe he meant Royce

Sorry, definitely Royce.  Corrected.

I still don’t know how I feel about Newman, and I guess no one does until he gets some reps so I’m glad they can get a look at him early. 

As far as Nijman, I have to believe he’s dinged up because I don’t know if he’s getting reps.  Will have to see if we can get some news. 

Edited by Refugee

2 hours ago, Refugee said:

With Jenkins out on COVID protocol the starting line looked like this today:

Turner, Runyan, Myers, Patrick, *Royce Newman

That is a young line but I like that guys are getting snaps. Turner said in his interview that the coaches don’t really tell guys until just before taking the field which position they will play. The idea is to keep players ready, trying to study the whole scheme of the line vs. just one piece of it. 

Good info, again, I'm not sure I'd read anything into it. This is still very much in the process of figuring out what goes where. It may very well have just been Royce's day to be put through his paces at RT. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Good info, again, I'm not sure I'd read anything into it. This is still very much in the process of figuring out what goes where. It may very well have just been Royce's day to be put through his paces at RT. 

I’m not trying to anoint any starters but I’m glad they will get an early look at what he can do. The opportunity is probably due to Jenkins’ absence which is hopefully just protocol. Z was out on COVID protocol but was on the field today. 

Most rookie linemen need a lot of seasoning, so even if Newman is terrible this year I wouldn’t write him off. I’m just a little skeptical if he was worth his draft spot but none of us really know. Anyway, I hope we don’t have to find out this year in games but he had better be preparing for just that so, glad they  called his number. 

Edited by Refugee

• 1 month later...

Simon Stepaniak officially retires so one less guard and one more pick from last year no longer with the team. I’m sure the Packers had some insight on this and have continued to bring in young OL, in particular at the guard position.

This past week the three guys rotating at different guard spots have been Runyan, Patrick and Braden.  That will be a good competition while the rookies can fight to separate themselves from the pack. As expected, our second round rookie Myers has been playing center no matter what the lineup. 

2 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Simon Stepaniak officially retires so one less guard and one more pick from last year no longer with the team. I’m sure the Packers had some insight on this and have continued to bring in young OL, in particular at the guard position.

This past week the three guys rotating at different guard spots have been Runyan, Patrick and Braden.  That will be a good competition while the rookies can fight to separate themselves from the pack. As expected, our second round rookie Myers has been playing center no matter what the lineup. 

Gives the rookie from Wisconsin a fighting chance at a roster spot.

11 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Gives the rookie from Wisconsin a fighting chance at a roster spot.

I can't imagine making the roster is going to be easy for him: Two more highly drafted OL in the same class, Jake Hanson and (especially) Jon Runyan Jr. remaining from last year's draft, and Green Bay bringing in a swing tackle early in training camp who will probably make the roster.  Not saying Van Lanen can't get it done, but he's got a big fight ahead of him.

James Jones and NFL channel interviewed Rodgers today and asked him who was standing out to him .. he said Josh Myers.  Said he was impressed with the way he was handling the line calls and discussed his great size.  Rodgers seemed thrilled with his play thru the first few days of camp.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Refugee said:

Yah read that.  Really kinda sucks.  Had hopes he'd develop into a monster.  

• Like 1

The Stepaniak thing really sucks. That guy had "road grader" written all over him.

Has anyone looked at the Packers' roster on the team website? Turner, Johnson, Dietzen, Cronk, and Capra are all listed as G/T whereas Newman and Van Lanen are T/G; kinda makes a fella wonder if you're going to see some jumbo packages with an OL lined up at TE in various running packages, especially given that we like our OL to be athletic in order to pull. 

On 7/31/2021 at 4:01 PM, Refugee said:

From a selfish standpoint, it sucks to see a young guy that the Packers have invested in retire so early.  But I wish him the best.