2021 Green Bay Offensive Line

Refugee

2 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I really don't think the line was terrible .. just had some bad moments that were made worse by a jittery QB.  I think the Packers blew it by not lining up and really trying to run the ball.  Our team was unprepared for what the Saints threw at them defensively and never was able to adjust or recover.

I don't think they were terrible at all, either. But (and I'm curious if this is a trend, and whether it's more pronounced for some QBs) I suspect that Rodgers at this point in his career requires exceptional OL play to run an effective offense. Both physically and mentally. But actually primarily mentally.

2 minutes ago, LacyIsGood said:

The OL being terrible narrative  is overrated.  Stats bearing it out now.  Rodgers was really bad...only 9 rush attempts too.  

I don't see any narrative about the OL being terrible. Well, definitely not on this site (and this is the source of my NFL news typically). So if it's a narrative in the media, they're dumb.

9 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I'll never underestimate the importance of OL play again.

Going from: Bakh || Jenkins || Linsley to Jenkins || Newman || Myers takes this team from a SB contender to a .500 team. Big part of that is due to Rodgers though.

No question that with OL the whole is more important than the sum of individual parts.  Shifting everything to compensate for losing elite LT and C will hurt, especially early on. I hold to the belief that they will get better, the run game will improve but they won’t be as good as last year’s great line, even with 69 back.  We could get close if everyone stays healthy. A full go 69/74/71/62/77 would make a strong line with young depth developing behind them. 

6 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Jenkins getting elite grades at LT already has mental images starting of that money losing Rodgers frees up going up in flames.

he will take Bakh's money - who is a possible restructure after next year (right when Jenkins is a FA) or a cut after 2023 (one year into Jenkins' deal).

Bakh will have collected $64 of his $61.5 million guaranteed contract through next year and we won't be paying them both starting LT money in 2023. That could work two ways:

(1) Jenkins has a low cap hit on the first year of his big deal while Bakh has a $26mil cap hit (all in 2023)

(2) Bakh is restructured after 2022 to reduce his 2023 cap hit at the age of 32 to avoid getting cut the next season (if that's his preference)

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Give me the elite RT in Jenkins over the elite WR in Davante.

I agree, develop and retain the best linemen and keep young up and coming skill players ready to replace anyone who becomes too expensive. In theory, this offense can function without elite talent at skill positions but versatile, tough football players who can run the scheme behind an Oline that can punish opponents all game long.

The hard part, you better be right if you think you have a replacement for a top WR or RB.  

Edited by Refugee

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Give me the elite RT in Jenkins over the elite WR in Davante.

i suspect general "good" team building principles agree with the idea of paying older OL and getting cheap WRs. Would be interesting to chart some measurement of productivity/effectiveness vs age on a positional basis to see the differences in peaks. Then another chart of "Production/Cost" vs "Age". Teams must do something like this to establish a roster framework, right?

8 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

LaFleur was taking the heat for not running the ball enough, but I got the idea that Rodgers was checking out of runs right and left.  They should have lined up with Dillon and pounded the ball at the Saints with more regularity.  

Yeah that could be the case. We also came out in empty a lot which didn't help. Sucks thats prob Rodgers influenced more than anything. 

• Like 1

Runyan in for an injured Patrick, he seemed to be alright but the line let some pressure get through. The running game picked up but we were not steamrolling anyone.

Next week, they will play a team that can get pressure just with their front. Will be interesting to see how we play them and if we can weather the storm. 

5 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Would 5 Elgtons legit be one of the best Olines in the league?

Umm yes, is that even a question? Nonchalantly fills in at LT and center...can't even figure out what he's best at. 

Sorry I also forgot he's one of the best guards in the league.

Edited by oldmansmell

5 minutes ago, oldmansmell said:

Umm yes, is that even a question? Nonchalantly fills in at LT and center...can't even figure out what he's best at. 

Sorry I also forgot he's one of the best guards in the league.

Just mind blowing to me someone can be that good at so many positions. 

idk if there’s another Oline in the league you can say that about?

Edited by Arthur Penske
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

Just mind blowing to me someone can be that good at so many positions. 

idk if there’s another Oline in the league you can say that about?

It's a pickle to have to pay someone for a position we don't actually know where they should play, like I want to be a fly in the room for that contract negotiation. Elgton " ummm I literally could be a probowler at all five positions, do you want to try me at tight end", Us :we can't afford you to be as good as you're are at everything

Edited by oldmansmell