2021 Green Bay Offensive Line

Refugee

13 hours ago, vegas492 said:

O-line was better.  Runyan may have played well enough to keep Patrick on the bench.  Thought Newman played much, much better.

Hopefully this is the trend, o-line gets a little better each and every week.

Playing at home is always a plus for the line, especially the young bucks.  Hope they are getting the timing and communication down before a tough road test. We’ve got to be able to run it in this offense and I hope they take pride in that. So far, mixed results but not shocking with all of the changes. If the young guys outplay LP at guard, that’s a good thing so I hope they keep progressing. 

5 minutes ago, HeresAGuy said:

Bakh-Runyan-Myers-Freeman-Jenkins =  teh futurz pakrz ofensiv lyn

Newman?  All good, I kept thinking his first name was Bryce. Turner still factors in there but they will have to pay Jenkins soon and might not want to have that king of price tag at G, but RT would make a sound investment. 

7 hours ago, HeresAGuy said:

Bakh-Runyan-Myers-Freeman-Jenkins =  teh futurz pakrz ofensiv lyn

7 hours ago, Refugee said:

Newman?  All good, I kept thinking his first name was Bryce. Turner still factors in there but they will have to pay Jenkins soon and might not want to have that king of price tag at G, but RT would make a sound investment. 

After two games it's a bit premature to think Jenkins is going to be as good outside as he is inside. He seemed to struggle against Detroit. At least that was what my eye test saw. I know it's only been two games, but I'm not writing a check for tackle money if he's not elite. 

To me, that puts us in a precarious position. Runyan, Meyers and Newman all look the part inside. DO you pay an elite guard that kind of money when you are potentially very solid inside without him if you don't see him at tackle? Just asking the question. 

14 hours ago, Refugee said:

yes, that, oopsie :(  buddy's last name is Freeman, freudian slip

7 hours ago, Old Guy said:

After two games it's a bit premature to think Jenkins is going to be as good outside as he is inside. He seemed to struggle against Detroit. At least that was what my eye test saw. I know it's only been two games, but I'm not writing a check for tackle money if he's not elite. 

To me, that puts us in a precarious position. Runyan, Meyers and Newman all look the part inside. DO you pay an elite guard that kind of money when you are potentially very solid inside without him if you don't see him at tackle? Just asking the question. 

That will be the tough decision to make. It really depends on how he plays the first stretch of the season. He also has a stated preference for left when he and Turner first had to fill in, he asked Billy to stay on the right. If he can play tackle well, he’ll deserve a top contract. With his versatility so far, he’ll likely get one. 

It’s hard to pay top 5 G money. Still, the game has changed a bit and some of the best defenses are capable of getting pressure right up the middle. Teams can’t just ignore that, while a quick strike O can negate pressure on the edges a bit more effectively. Jenkins has put himself in a great position and he’ll earn what he’s worth very soon. 

8 hours ago, Refugee said:

That will be the tough decision to make. It really depends on how he plays the first stretch of the season. He also has a stated preference for left when he and Turner first had to fill in, he asked Billy to stay on the right. If he can play tackle well, he’ll deserve a top contract. With his versatility so far, he’ll likely get one. 

It’s hard to pay top 5 G money. Still, the game has changed a bit and some of the best defenses are capable of getting pressure right up the middle. Teams can’t just ignore that, while a quick strike O can negate pressure on the edges a bit more effectively. Jenkins has put himself in a great position and he’ll earn what he’s worth very soon. 

The difference between elite OG money and elite RT money isn't as big as you think it is.  Top RT money is $17.5M+.  Top OG money is $16M+.  You might save a hair by calling him a guard, but if he continues to play well at OT someone's going to offer him OT money.

On 9/21/2021 at 9:36 AM, vegas492 said:

O-line was better.  Runyan may have played well enough to keep Patrick on the bench.  Thought Newman played much, much better.

Hopefully this is the trend, o-line gets a little better each and every week.

So the loss of Patricks veteranyness wasnt that big of a deal ?!?!

😉

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

The difference between elite OG money and elite RT money isn't as big as you think it is.  Top RT money is $17.5M+.  Top OG money is $16M+.  You might save a hair by calling him a guard, but if he continues to play well at OT someone's going to offer him OT money.

I’m not sure if it’s not what I think it is, I’m seeing the same numbers. The thing is, he’s currently playing LT and has done it before. If he continues to acquit himself there, that factors in along with basically never been seen before versatility to play all interior positions at a high level. He’s getting paid, likely setting the market at least for G and will deserve it. It’s not something I’m going to be overly worried about this year but it will be one of many big questions going into next season. 

2 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

So the loss of Patricks veteranyness wasnt that big of a deal ?!?!

😉

Could be.  Runyan played really well.  We shall see who starts between the two coming up.

Our rookie center looked much better, too.  Newman also had a much better game.

I'm of the opinion that this line will keep getting better and better throughout the season.  But there will be "hiccups" just due to young players playing so many snaps.

25 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I’m not sure if it’s not what I think it is, I’m seeing the same numbers. The thing is, he’s currently playing LT and has done it before. If he continues to acquit himself there, that factors in along with basically never been seen before versatility to play all interior positions at a high level. He’s getting paid, likely setting the market at least for G and will deserve it. It’s not something I’m going to be overly worried about this year but it will be one of many big questions going into next season. 

There has to be a natural positional progression for Jenkins, right?  

He came in and played guard because we had two good tackles.

He is playing LT now, because we need him to.

When Bakh is ready to go, Jenkins is a guard again.

If we move on from Turner in a year or so, or flip him inside, Jenkins is the RT.

When Bakh retires at some point, Jenkins is the LT.

I think he now should be called "Swiss Army" Jenkins.

7 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Could be.  Runyan played really well.  We shall see who starts between the two coming up.

Our rookie center looked much better, too.  Newman also had a much better game.

I'm of the opinion that this line will keep getting better and better throughout the season.  But there will be "hiccups" just due to young players playing so many snaps.

The rookie center looked better without the veteran next to him?? Wild that Patrick isnt elevating the guys next to him.

There were definitely hiccups with patrick in as well. 

That was my stance from the get. You play patrick because he showed mildly more in the preseason. You move when he sucks and your dont be afraid to move just because he's a vet. If he was ever really good and was some ol wily vet Id be more inclined to agree. But Patrick is a middling OG who's profited from his surroundings.

22 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

The rookie center looked better without the veteran next to him?? Wild that Patrick isnt elevating the guys next to him.

That was my stance from the get. You play patrick because he showed mildly more in the preseason. You move when he sucks and your dont be afraid to move just because he's a vet. If he was ever really good and was some ol wily vet Id be more inclined to agree. But Patrick is a middling OG who's profited from his surroundings.

Patrick has played quality snaps for us, but definitely can be replaced. His ceiling has likely  been achieved but he’s made his mark as an udfa. He had a concussion going into the week so Runyan got the work in practice.

I always watch the line but haven’t rewatched anything for detail, I saw Runyan hold his own and get pushed around a bit. He’s a guy I want to see get snaps, not just because of the name, I think he could really develop.

We’ll get to see how the youngins do on the road and then back home against some good fronts. Hope Jenkins’ ankle is feeling much better by then. 

Edited by Refugee

16 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Rookie center looked better because he had some game reps under his belt, and practices against looks he was going to see.

I have little doubt that he would have been better had Patrick been in there as well.

To sum it up, I feel like the Saints prepared for us much better than we prepared for them.  And it showed everywhere.

From a 1:1 standpoint, Runyan vs. Patrick, I don't know who is "better".  I do know that Runyan and the o-line played better against the Lions.  But there could be the "Saints had our number" factor that didn't help the week one line.