Hunting Problems?

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

yes, and it's my opinion that it's unlikely to actually happen.

i'll bet you $1000 Hunter does not achieve 150 sacks.

I don't have an opinion either way. Calvin Johnson was projected to be the next Randy Moss after a few seasons. Nobody figured he'd retire as early as he did.

6 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Money talks. Pay him what he's worth, and the problems go away.

That’s the problem: what is he worth? Based on 2019? A lot. Based on 2020? Not a lot. Based on 2021? TBD. 

I doubt it is, but it feels a little like he’s concerned he won’t be the same player and wants to get a big payday now to hedge his bets. 

I’m also one of the first to say that teams don’t honor contracts, so why should players; but in this instance, the Vikings gave Hunter a great contract at a time when they could have squatted on him for another year or two and franchised him. Let’s not act like the team has been bad to him in any way. If he’s mad at anyone, it should be his agent. 

Edited by wcblack34
  • Like 3

I like Hunter's play A LOT!   He's as disruptive a DE as the league has, plus he plays under control better than some of the HOFers mentioned.   Yes, he deserves to be paid and bottom line . . . he was a gracious awe-struck kid when he signed that first extension.    The guaranteed money from that took care of his family and probably his future.   Was he already strategically thinking about this stage back then?    I'd bet his agents were licking their chops . . . And they still are, every minute last year's defense went without a sack.

The Vikings face a challenge because Smith needs to be extended, he's a Ring of Honor and possible HOFer guy.   His leadership is rare, and the guy can still play at the highest level.   O'Neill cannot walk either as he is developed and an anchor on that unit.   Could they keep both of these guys for a combined $10m and the dedicate $12m to Hunter?

I like the idea of paying him for performance and at $1M per 3 sacks, id be jacked to see Spellman's face when he has to cut an 8$M check for performance😉   

Finally, I'm skeptical as to how serious Hunter's neck injury was.   We're all told it was worse than thought, but was it really?  I agree he needs to come back and show the team he has it.   If not, this kind of screams of desperation by his camp.   I think that camp was put on notice when the Vikes drafted the way they did . . . They're betting on three clones taking the reigns at 1/20th the cash.    I could see that happening too.  

Edited by ArcticNorseman

6 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Sometimes the best deal is the one you don't make. This old saying is applicable in Hunter's case. It should have been extremely obvious to Hunter that he was going to be significantly underpaid pretty quickly.”

Yup, yup, and YUP!!!

12 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Sometimes the best deal is the one you don't make. This old saying is applicable in Hunter's case. It should have been extremely obvious to Hunter that he was going to be significantly underpaid pretty quickly.”

Yup, yup, and YUP!!!

That's all I've ever said during this entire time...he put himself in this position.  His dissatisfaction was of his own doing.  It's an unfortunate lesson to learn, but the Vikings owe nothing more to him.  They certainly can and probably will work with him, since he brings tremendous value to the team...but it will be after Harrison and Brian are dealt with, since they are in the last year of their deals.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, viking said:

we're not making the playoffs without him

#PayDanielle

You don’t know if we’ll make the playoffs with him. Have you seen him in a live game since the 2019 season? 

#PayDanielleWhenHeShowsHeIsStillWorthIt 

I'm on the Pay Hunter side but not upset with the Vikings. Neck surgery is serious and he plays a position that has contact to head. Also, tearing up his contract with 3 years left does set a new standard, that could blow up in their face down the line. Maybe, they can add bonus money and void his year 2024.  It will be a good faith sign they are serious about keeping him, if come back strong and no neck health concerns this season. 

Edited by dc_vikingfan
  • Like 1