Hunting Problems?

15 hours ago, viking said:

#GladYour'reNotTheVIkingsGM

Glad you aren't either. Not really a good practice to hand out market-setting deals to players who haven't played football in well over a year due to significant injuries. That mentality would have given Teddy Bridgewater $25 million a year...yeesh.

6 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

Any idea how much he asking for?  Giving him a blank check seems like a bad idea. He needs to give something up if he wants to tear up the final 3 years of his deal and sign before proving that he's healthy imo

He’s likely looking for a deal north of $20M per year. 

Hunter is the 17th highest paid edge rusher in the league, on a AAV. There’s no denying that he’s underpaid, but it’s not likely as much as some people think. Especially coming off this injury. 

If Hunter plays on his current contract and shows that he’s still the same player he was in 2019, he’ll have a strong case for asking for a ~$25M per year new deal. But if he’s intent on getting a new deal before this season, I wouldn’t be willing to go any higher than $20M per year on a reworked deal. And any deal agreed to before the 2021 season would have to include a reason opt out for the team. 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2021 at 5:50 PM, viking said:

#GladYour'reNotTheVIkingsGM

Last I checked, the Vikings GM is handling exactly the same way @SemperFeist and I have suggested thus far...because he hasn't been paid yet...and all indications are that they haven't even considered doing so at this point.  What you're suggesting would be irresponsible of any GM, and actually, I personally would consider it a fireable offense, because you've set a terrible precedent.

Edited by swede700

12 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Last I checked, the Vikings GM is handling exactly the same way @SemperFeist and I have suggested thus far...because he hasn't been paid yet...and all indications are that they haven't even considered doing so at this point.  What you're suggesting would be irresponsible of any GM, and actually, I personally would consider it a fireable offense, because you've set a terrible precedent.

If Rick doesn't pay Danielle he's getting fired anyway along with Zim. This team needs to get to the NFC championship at minimum to save them and they're not doing that without a significantly upgraded pass rush.

Pay Danielle, if he sucks this team is getting blown up anyway

11 minutes ago, viking said:

If Rick doesn't pay Danielle he's getting fired anyway along with Zim. This team needs to get to the NFC championship at minimum to save them and they're not doing that without a significantly upgraded pass rush.

They need to likely get to the playoffs to save their jobs, not the NFCC. 

I think the additions of the guys in the middle of the defensive line are going to do more for the pass rush than Danielle alone.  I love Danielle and think he'll be an upgrade to what we saw last year, but we can't forget that he hasn't played significant time without Everson on the other side of him...and none of the guys slated to play the opposite side have shown that they can be on a similar level to Everson.  If they can't be, all the opponents have to do is put the TE on the same side as him and double-team him.  That ain't gonna improve the pass rush if the other DE can't beat his guy one-on-one.     

Edited by swede700

It's from a former Packer, so I won't guarantee that it's true (especially since I'm not buying the stuff he said about A-Rodg last week), but if it is true, it shouldn't be all that surprising, since he has such little leverage at this point.

• Like 1

The Hunter situation isn’t all that much different than Cook’s from last year. There are just real practices and workouts this year, instead of everything being virtual. 

Cook skipped the voluntary portion, “threatened” to skip mini camp, but ultimately showed up, did his work, and got his contract. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The Hunter situation isn’t all that much different than Cook’s from last year. There are just real practices and workouts this year, instead of everything being virtual. 

Cook skipped the voluntary portion, “threatened” to skip mini camp, but ultimately showed up, did his work, and got his contract. 

Agreed.  There has been no history ever under the Wilf's ownership (and with Spielman as GM) where they've been unreasonable with their players or haven't taken care of them when it's clear that there has been an "imbalance" between pay and performance (best way I can phrase it).  It will get addressed in due time, but Danielle has to do his part as well.  

3 hours ago, viking said:

This is hyperbole. There is no indication that Zimmer and Spielman need to get to the NFCCG to save their jobs. None. 

Secondly, if the team, or Danielle specifically, sucks and "is getting blown up anyway," it is significantly harder to do that when you have bad contracts that have big cap and dead money hits on the books. 

Nothing of what you're proposing makes sense from the team's perspective.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

This is hyperbole. There is no indication that Zimmer and Spielman need to get to the NFCCG to save their jobs. None. 

Secondly, if the team, or Danielle specifically, sucks and "is getting blown up anyway," it is significantly harder to do that when you have bad contracts that have big cap and dead money hits on the books. 

Nothing of what you're proposing makes sense from the team's perspective.

It makes sense to the team for the one thing that matters - winning games.

Pay danielle. Get him in the building. Win football games.