Jaguars OTAs/Training Camp News and Notes

.Buzz

17 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

Yep.  Hopefully he figures out those demons causing the misses which is why the jags should employ a kicking coach 

The whole idea of a "kicking coach" is kinda iffy to me.  Because of the nature of the position, it really should just be someone that the kicker themselves are comfortable and like working with, and find good results with.  Whether that's a personal "kicking coach" or a "sports psychologist" or an "emotional support llama" or whatever it may be.  I think it generally has to be a more personal solution, rather than a team imposed one.  I'm not convinced you can just hire a "coach for kickers", and have that be applicable and helpful universally for whatever kickers roll through.

15 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

Personally I wouldn't be against bringing some kickers in for tryouts. 

At some point, you have to look at that sort of option.  But realistically...that's the sort of move you have to be careful with, when you have a struggling kicker.  It can very easily make things worse in a hurry.  Some guys respond to pressure like that as motivation.  Other kickers seem to just implode and flail around wildly getting worse when "competition" is brought it.  It's not a position where you can just force "more hustle" or whatever, by bringing in that competition.  Oftentimes, it's less thinking and less pressure that they actually need to work their way out of a hole.

17 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

At some point, you have to look at that sort of option.  But realistically...that's the sort of move you have to be careful with, when you have a struggling kicker.  It can very easily make things worse in a hurry.  Some guys respond to pressure like that as motivation.  Other kickers seem to just implode and flail around wildly getting worse when "competition" is brought it.  It's not a position where you can just force "more hustle" or whatever, by bringing in that competition.  Oftentimes, it's less thinking and less pressure that they actually need to work their way out of a hole.

He's probably stuck on the I'm gonna hurt my hip/leg again

On 8/26/2021 at 6:25 PM, Adrenaline_Flux said:

We probably just need to be patient. I haven't paid attention to his kicking mechanics, but I imagine coming back from a hip injury isn't easy when it comes to that aspect as a kicker. Similar to how QB mechanics usually are a little off for a season or two when a QB comes back from an ACL tear. 

Yeah.  It's not really surprising, or hard to see how things may have been knocked out of alignment for Lambo.  And it's one of those things that is probably better treated with patience.

But...

On 8/26/2021 at 2:56 PM, pwny said:

They probably need to get to week 1, stick him on the IR and bring in someone else. Let him continue his rehab, and mental readjustment, and then activate him after he’s had some time to chill.

This is also an option that might have to be considered at some point.  "Time" is probably what this situation needs most, to correct itself.  Unfortunately, i don't think you can send a kicker who "isn't squared away" out there repeatedly, to miss kicks.  It's not good from a team morale perspective.  Which in turn, can be really destructive for the kicker themselves, trying to work through some stuff...but with all that extra pressure piling on to power through it, and rush a process that can't really be rushed.

Kickers man.  Such a, "don't know what you've got till it's gone" sort of position.  It's so nice to just not have to think about kicking at all.  But at least for me, i know i tend to overlook just how valuable that is...until a situation arises where you suddenly don't have reliable kicking.  And it's a big frustrating mess, that's complicated to deal with.

16 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

Hopefully our starting interior is healthy by then

Hopefully our starting OLine can come into the season healthy, and stay largely that way.  It should be a serviceable unit in that case.  But it's the same story every year, and around the league...OLines just don't often stay fully healthy.  Especially not when they're going into the season already dinged up.  A lot of those issues just end up nagging off and on all season, which in turn, hurts the consistency as guys don't get as much time on the field together as a unit to build that cohesion.

And our backups really haven't inspired much confidence tbh.

4 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Kickers man.  Such a, "don't know what you've got till it's gone" sort of position.  It's so nice to just not have to think about kicking at all.  But at least for me, i know i tend to overlook just how valuable that is...until a situation arises where you suddenly don't have reliable kicking.  And it's a big frustrating mess, that's complicated to deal with.

That’s so true. When we’ve had Mike Hollis, Josh Scobee and Josh Lambo, it’s just something you forget about. But when you get Jason Myers, Seth Marler, the mess we had last year, and this year’s version of Lambo, suddenly it’s just a life of anxiety.

• Like 1