Madden 22

56 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Stating this as a fact is pretty ridiculous. This is an extremely unpopular take, whether you go on Social Media, Forums, or any online community. Madden's Franchise Mode is pure trash. MyLeague and The Show's Franchise are miles better (although also not good). MyLeague may have bad sim stats but the customizations options are phenomenal. And Madden's Sim Stats are even worse, and have been horrendous for a very long time. Not to mention it BY FAR has the worst Presentation inside Franchise of any sports game by a country mile. You would think in a Franchise Mode, they would work on Presentation. The sad thing is, EA has never been Presentation heavy in ANY of their sports games in their 30+ years. They don't care for presentation like other sports games do. 

- Madden offers zero customization like NBA 2K and The Show do

- Madden's Presentation inside their Franchise Mode has always been the worst of any sports game. Takes all realism and immersion completely out of it. 

- Madden's Sim Stats are also horrendous, just like NBA 2K. You will never get a good experience, even with sliders. 

- Progression/Regression system has been broken for years. 

- The Menus and Overall Immersion Experience on the Franchise Homepage are extremely lackluster and make the entire mode feel boring, flat, and lifeless. 

This just isn’t true. MyLeague has so many bugs it’s unplayable.  You can’t even resign your own players.  Online franchise modes will randomly just delete themselves.  Who cares about customization if it doesn’t even work? The show doesn’t have online franchise mode so it’s no comparison.

I wish Madden would learn from MLB The Show with the free rewards. I only play Madden for MUT and I do spend money, but it's dumb to have level rewards and then charge for you it if you want to have them. You unlocked those levels by playing the game, so its just dumb that they want you to pay the 5-10 dollars for a level reward. 

Game is so and so, so far. Once they send out the day 1 patch we can really judge the game because this plays exactly like the beta. 

5 hours ago, BayRaider said:

It is a pure rehash of last year. As always. That is why EA stopped showing ANY gameplay footage until game is released. They started that like four years ago. 

This year was supposed to be the year they upgrade the engine and at least try to revamp things. But nope. Literally same thing.

As a 98% franchise style mode only player in sports games, I can't get behind Madden being the best of the modes either.  Madden and The Show are pretty close, but 2K is pretty clearly above them.  Madden is taking steps in the right direction with the coaching staffs, and hopefully the scouting overhaul.  Just need to see how the scouting actually feels and works out, and I need to see the coaching "carousel" play out.  The Show needs a pretty big jump.  It's very stale, at this point.  They desperately need to completely remake their draft and coaching staff processes.  That, with some form of International Free agency and roster expansion, would go a long way, imo.  I tried NHL 21, off of EA Play, as their franchise mode looks interesting, but I don't know enough about hockey for it to grab me.  I can't properly grade it, but it does look like there is some depth there, that would allow you to enjoy going deep into the mode.  I think 2k's lead has been so substantial that it feels like others are doing better than they are, in comparison, because they're simply closing the gap, a little. 

I'd rank them, just solely off of their franchise experience:

2K's MyNBA 

Madden Franchise
The Show Franchise 

• Like 1

Downloaded the trial cause I have Xbox Gamepass. Not impressed, but gameplay is def better than 19-20. But still has a long way to go. 

As for Franchise Mode, haven’t tried yet but everyone says it’s the worst sim stats yet. Winston regularly goes 37-4. Brady goes 50-9 with 5100 yards often. 

Early Madden 22 Franchise Mode Thoughts:

- The trade logic that they patched in 21 has carried over to 22, so trade logic isn't completely awful. 

- They added some press conferences that pop up every now and then, and based on your answers of what you think you need to focus on to beat your opponent, that sets your coach XP goals for the weekly matchup.  Not a major change but a cool addition. 

- More on the weekly stuff, you now can select weekly defensive/offensive gameplans that temporarily boost your players stats in those areas.  If you line up your gameplan with your Coach XP goals it should help you level those up faster. 

- A big plus seems to be that they dropped the annoying required Gold practice requirement before you can get max training bonus every week.  In fact there's no required practices at all from what I could see.  The weekly training is just simmed.  You can still focus on 3 players for additional XP per week.  There are coaching tree levels you can gain to get this up to 6 players.  

- On the flipside of that the player interactions that used to be week to week where they complain or talk about what focus needs to be, that's still in the game but now it cuts to a cutscene with you in the locker room talking to the guy.  Takes longer than what its worth imo. 

- Can't really comment on scouting as the patch won't hit for at least another month.  Right now the game has the same scouting system as before. 

- I did have the GM call me in for a meeting and told me about a prospect I should scout.  That is a very good addition. Speaking of, I don't see the News wire about draft picks so I don't know if there is a way to get info about possible hidden dev players in the draft like before. Actually they do I see it now, its not full articles just small little twitter type stuff.  

- The menu system is completely different than before.  That is a welcome addition but the downside is the menus run slower than before.  Hopefully that will be different in the final game product. 

- The Staff skill tree is a welcome addition as it adds addition RPG elements, but right now I don't see a lot of upgrades other than XP+ gains that are that beneficial.  All of the levels for Player Personnel are geared towards increasing trade values, and you can still milk the cpu for trade values if you want.  I assume they will add Scouting levels to the skill trees once the scouting patch drops (actually I know they will because I saw a Youtube about it). 

- Also it looks like your HC can only have XP boost to defensive or offensive players and not both.  Bummer.  

- Hard to judge what end of the year stats should look like as there are 17 games now.  But there were 4 players with 5,000+ passing yards, Kamara led the league with 1,712 rushing yards, only 2 RBs had 1,500+, Mike Evans led the league with 1,590 receiving yards, Terry McLaurin was 2nd with 1,364 (word), Aaron Donald had a ridiculous 26 sacks and Chandler Jones had 20.5, Joe Haden and Marcus Lattimore tied with 5 INTs. Generally speaking I'd say the annual stats appear to have the same issues as last year's as far as where its inaccurate (generally speaking low rushing stats, low INTs and too many sacks). 

- The RBs seem to be getting way too much value in MVP voting. Alvin Kamara was 1st in voting and Christian McCaffrey was 2nd.  This has never been an issue before so its kind of bizarre to see it pop up now. 

- The Cowboys went 15-2 and are completely overrated in the game. Other surprising records: Saints 15-2, Bears 11-6, Bengals 9-8, Dolphins 3-14. 

- The current league standings can only be viewed from the main page labeled "Home" and not from the "League" tab, which is weird to me. 

- Lol I almost got fired from my job after going 3-14 with the Texans.  The GM let me talk my way back into another year but that was kind of cool. 

- The GM just pulled me into a meeting during the offseason to ask me if I was starting Tyrod Taylor at QB this week.  No Mr. GM, I'm not because its the offseason.  

- Free Agency is the same as before. 

- The draft class generation seems to have a lot of the same issues as before.  All olineman except Centers are terrible, not enough quality CBs, etc. The draft class seemed to be significantly deeper into the 2nd round overall though. You're going to feel like you're getting first round talents in the 2nd round.  

- A ton of QBs in the first round of this draft class.  Don't know if that's just random or will be a trend.  Like more QBs than there should be (there were 8).

- There are players with over a 7.0 combine grade in later rounds.  That definitely wasn't there before. 

- The draft presentation is somehow worse?  Its glitches in and out and is hard to tell who was just drafted. 

- They have Rich Eisen talking during the draft instead of Trey Wingo now. 

- I traded a bunch of my players for draft picks so I could see how the draft class was. I had 4 first round picks, landed a 74 OVR QB with Superstar Dev, a 76 OVR CB with Star Dev, a 74 OVR TE with Normal Dev and 76 OVR MLB with Superstar Dev.  Two SS in first draft is pretty sick.  I also landed a Star dev RG in the 2nd. I simmed out the rest of the draft. 

- The game has one of the worst soundtracks of all time. 

• Like 3

Thanks for the quick thoughts MK.  It sounds like starting any meaningful franchise before the patch will be a waste of time sadly.  I have to think the devs are spending a vast majority of their time on the income producing MUT, or why the hell couldn't they have included the franchise improvements in release?   

And honestly, I think I have to agree with others on there that say 2K's franchise is all around better then Maddens currently.  If the main gripe is that you cannot resign your players, I count that as a positive in comparison to the unimproved scouting/drafting of current Madden.  That said, I've put in WAY more hours on Madden Franchise, simply because football if vastly superior and I enjoy it more.

Really hoping the patch improves things so that the only franchise improvement isn't a new menu and fairly bland coaching trees.

1 minute ago, Flatlyner said:

Thanks for the quick thoughts MK.  It sounds like starting any meaningful franchise before the patch will be a waste of time sadly.  I have to think the devs are spending a vast majority of their time on the income producing MUT, or why the hell couldn't they have included the franchise improvements in release? 

The ground swell of irritation over last year's franchise mode didn't hit for a few months, so they probably didn't have all of these franchise mode additions in the original gameplan for 22.  So they probably got a late start compared to the MUT people. 

3 minutes ago, Flatlyner said:

And honestly, I think I have to agree with others on there that say 2K's franchise is all around better then Maddens currently.  If the main gripe is that you cannot resign your players, I count that as a positive in comparison to the unimproved scouting/drafting of current Madden.  That said, I've put in WAY more hours on Madden Franchise, simply because football if vastly superior and I enjoy it more.

Lol 2k is not better.

18 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

- On the flipside of that the player interactions that used to be week to week where they complain or talk about what focus needs to be, that's still in the game but now it cuts to a cutscene with you in the locker room talking to the guy.  Takes longer than what its worth imo. 

Liking this, currently, but it does seem like something that will get old.  I wish I could just hit "X" to jump through, or get to my answers, vs the "hold X."  It takes longer than I'd like.

- I did have the GM call me in for a meeting and told me about a prospect I should scout.  That is a very good addition. Speaking of, I don't see the News wire about draft picks so I don't know if there is a way to get info about possible hidden dev players in the draft like before. Actually they do I see it now, its not full articles just small little twitter type stuff.  

I had this happen, too, and thought it was pretty cool.  Anxious to see what it actually means.  I saw a draft story pop up in the news, so it is there, just might be a little more uncommon than previously.  Not entirely sure.  I'm guessing you had already went to the "draft" tab using the right trigger to see where it eventually will be, it was just empty?

- The menu system is completely different than before.  That is a welcome addition but the downside is the menus run slower than before.  Hopefully that will be different in the final game product.  

Agreed.  I'm thinking it will be.

- Also it looks like your HC can only have XP boost to defensive or offensive players and not both.  Bummer.  

I actually liked this part.  Makes your head coach have an identity more so than just being all around great.

- Hard to judge what end of the year stats should look like as there are 17 games now.  But there were 4 players with 5,000+ passing yards, Kamara led the league with 1,712 rushing yards, only 2 RBs had 1,500+, Mike Evans led the league with 1,590 receiving yards, Terry McLaurin was 2nd with 1,364 (word), Aaron Donald had a ridiculous 26 sacks and Chandler Jones had 20.5, Joe Haden and Marcus Lattimore tied with 5 INTs. Generally speaking I'd say the annual stats appear to have the same issues as last year's as far as where its inaccurate (generally speaking low rushing stats, low INTs and too many sacks). 

I've seen this talked about, but haven't noticed it.  On a couple of the earlier build Gamechanger sims I saw, it was the opposite, so I'm guessing they just overcorrected what was happening before.  Hopefully they can get it to a more middle ground, but seeing that they swung it from where it was previously, gives me some hope.

- The RBs seem to be getting way too much value in MVP voting. Alvin Kamara was 1st in voting and Christian McCaffrey was 2nd.  This has never been an issue before so its kind of bizarre to see it pop up now. 

This is for sure a problem.  I saw an MVP final that was 9 RB's and Mahomes.  Should be the opposite.  Weird that is happening with the passing numbers you saw.

- The Cowboys went 15-2 and are completely overrated in the game. Other surprising records: Saints 15-2, Bears 11-6, Bengals 9-8, Dolphins 3-14. 

Legacy issue lol.  Browns-Cowboys Superbowl 

- Lol I almost got fired from my job after going 3-14 with the Texans.  The GM let me talk my way back into another year but that was kind of cool. 

That is welcome news.

- The draft class generation seems to have a lot of the same issues as before.  All olineman except Centers are terrible, not enough quality CBs, etc. The draft class seemed to be significantly deeper into the 2nd round overall though. You're going to feel like you're getting first round talents in the 2nd round.  

I have noticed a lot more Hidden Devs early than before.  It's closer to how 20 was than 21.  

I enjoyed your write up. 

Have you seen any of the early retirement moments trigger for older star players?  C4 had a Bears sim where Mack retired mid season.  Kind of cool to see, just hope it's not something that is overdone.  I'd rather see them demand a trade, or if they do retire, they come out of retirement later like they had in the previous Madden where guys like Ray Lewis would come back (can't remember the year, but I'd guess Madden 25.)

You can work around the resigning of your rookie deal players in 2k by just not offering them a long term contract, and matching whatever they get.  Not ideal, but not game breaking.  You can always add that extra year, if you want.  They should have the option to resign them during/after the free agency period, as soon as you pick up their second option, just before you advance to the new season, but they don't for some reason.   That's how they had in the 16-19 window of games.