Madden 22

50 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

2k is a mess.  The show doesn't have online franchise mode. 

I don't play sports games online with friends. If that's the biggest drawback on it, I am good. If 2K is a mess, then so is Madden. But it might be that it's just so vanilla. 

20 minutes ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

Hasn't been a stellar release, to say the least.  They're really needing a big patch to clean things up.

I can't remember a game that had a clean release lately.  Covid certainly didn't help.  You're right this game needs to be judged in a month after a few patches come out.

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

No.  It is the best franchise mode out there.  

It's not. You can keep saying it without evidence but that doesn't make it true. If you like it better that's fine but let's not pretend that's not an extreme minority take or that you can actually back it up objectively. I've never had any bugs or glitches with 2K so not sure where the mess accusation comes from. NBA 2K17 is better than any Madden in the last 15 years. Amount of detail and gameplay objectively aren't anywhere near each other. 2K also isn't getting 0.6's/10 user scores.

Edited by Bullet Club

5 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

It's not. You can keep saying it without evidence but that doesn't make it true. If you like it better that's fine but let's not pretend that's not an extreme minority take or that you can actually back it up objectively. I've never had any bugs or glitches with 2K so not sure where the mess accusation comes from. NBA 2K17 is better than any Madden in the last 15 years. Amount of detail and gameplay objectively aren't anywhere near each other. 2K also isn't getting 0.6's/10 user scores.

2k17 is way better than 2k21.  They completely screwed up franchise mode. 

• Like 1

@Bullet Club if you havent played each year of both of madden and 2k its hard to explain, but 5 years ago if you had asked me the best franchise mode in gaming it was unquestionably NBA 2k. Madden has slowly gotten better over that timeframe and 2k has fallen off of a cliff. The general notes on 2k changes:

- They completely ruined MyGM mode, which was my preferred method of playing, by going to some stupid turned based system that is unplayable. MyLeague is now the only way to play franchise mode on 2k. 

- The quality of the cpu generated draft classes on NBA 2k are significantly worse than the one's generated by Madden.  This is much more noticeable after the patch in Madden 21 designed to improve draft classes and they appear to be even better in Madden 22 after a few drafts I've done. This causes major issues if you're going deep into a franchise (like 10-15 years) as the entire league gets depleted of talent. 2k will generate a few superstars but the average solid type players are just lacking. Now some people will say hey just download user made draft classes, and my rebuttal to that is most of them are terrible.  Plus I prefer the randomness of cpu generated classes. 

- In 2k you cannot sign your own players to contract extensions anymore before they hit free agency because of a glitch.  This glitch has been in the game for 3 freaking years now and they still haven't fixed it.  People gripe about Madden issues but this is a game breaking glitch because you can't go over the salary cap in the NBA to sign FAs (hence bird rights for your own FAs). The only thing you can do is go into each player and manually override their contracts, which is just tedious, annoying, and breaks the experience for me as you're just glitching the game. 

- Progression in 2k is random and doesn't make any sense. I've been in an online league with a buddy in 2k for several seasons now and we will have years where one of us gets +3 overall to all players on the roster and the other guy gets nothing for any of his players (both of us finished with very similar records). Now if you're playing offline in your own league, progression still isn't great but you used to be able to help your player's progression by having end of the year workouts (which would increase the stats of players). In MyGM you could get up to like 8 workouts, which is great cause you can really boost your team that way. In MyLeague its capped at 2 players.  Two!  That does nothing.  Madden's progression system at least makes sense and is consistent.  

- If you play in an online league the presentation of Madden is much better than 2k. In 2k, in online franchise mode you cannot pause the draft and you only have 60 seconds to make each pick.  Its practically impossible to make a decision that quickly when you're trying to do these drafts, especially in the first round.  

In summary, the combination of ruining MyGM mode, the way progression is completely random, the poor draft classes and the free agency glitch have caused Madden to surpass 2k franchise mode IMO. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

@Bullet Club if you havent played each year of both of madden and 2k its hard to explain, but 5 years ago if you had asked me the best franchise mode in gaming it was unquestionably NBA 2k. Madden has slowly gotten better over that timeframe and 2k has fallen off of a cliff. The general notes on 2k changes:

- They completely ruined MyGM mode, which was my preferred method of playing, by going to some stupid turned based system that is unplayable. MyLeague is now the only way to play franchise mode on 2k. 

- The quality of the cpu generated draft classes on NBA 2k are significantly worse than the one's generated by Madden.  This is much more noticeable after the patch in Madden 21 designed to improve draft classes and they appear to be even better in Madden 22 after a few drafts I've done. This causes major issues if you're going deep into a franchise (like 10-15 years) as the entire league gets depleted of talent. 2k will generate a few superstars but the average solid type players are just lacking. Now some people will say hey just download user made draft classes, and my rebuttal to that is most of them are terrible.  Plus I prefer the randomness of cpu generated classes. 

- In 2k you cannot sign your own players to contract extensions anymore before they hit free agency because of a glitch.  This glitch has been in the game for 3 freaking years now and they still haven't fixed it.  People gripe about Madden issues but this is a game breaking glitch because you can't go over the salary cap in the NBA to sign FAs (hence bird rights for your own FAs). The only thing you can do is go into each player and manually override their contracts, which is just tedious, annoying, and breaks the experience for me as you're just glitching the game. 

- Progression in 2k is random and doesn't make any sense. I've been in an online league with a buddy in 2k for several seasons now and we will have years where one of us gets +3 overall to all players on the roster and the other guy gets nothing for any of his players (both of us finished with very similar records). Now if you're playing offline in your own league, progression still isn't great but you used to be able to help your player's progression by having end of the year workouts (which would increase the stats of players). In MyGM you could get up to like 8 workouts, which is great cause you can really boost your team that way. In MyLeague its capped at 2 players.  Two!  That does nothing.  Madden's progression system at least makes sense and is consistent.  

- If you play in an online league the presentation of Madden is much better than 2k. In 2k, in online franchise mode you cannot pause the draft and you only have 60 seconds to make each pick.  Its practically impossible to make a decision that quickly when you're trying to do these drafts, especially in the first round.  

In summary, the combination of ruining MyGM mode, the way progression is completely random, the poor draft classes and the free agency glitch have caused Madden to surpass 2k franchise mode IMO. 

I haven't played the most recent 2K (it was literally a roster update-not worth buying) but I'll take your word for it. A lot of this doesn't apply to me personally but I can see how it would bug you and others.

-Only play MyLeague. If MyGM is a big deal to you I can understand this.

-I create all of my own draft classes so I've never cared about this. Having the customization to be able to do so is extremely important to me. That's the huge draw for me. Customization >>>>>>> anything else.

-There are workarounds for this but yeah that's unacceptable.

-I've personally never had an issue with the 2K progression system.

-Never play online.

Considering we value different things in the games it makes sense why our opinions would differ. I can understand your reasoning now. Good post.

49 minutes ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

I actually like 2K's progression system more than Madden's.  Madden's feels backwards to me.  Players get better, because they produce, but in reality, players produce more because they get better.  XP reward systems like they do are strange, for me.

I agree with this. I like the players naturally progressing rather than me micromanaging them

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

I mean, 2K's online franchise doesn't even work a lot of the time. You'll be in an online franchise and the league has an error and the league has to be restarted. In Madden, I've never played in an online franchise where the entire league has to be restarted.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, showtime said:

I mean, 2K's online franchise doesn't even work a lot of the time. You'll be in an online franchise and the league has an error and the league has to be restarted. In Madden, I've never played in an online franchise where the entire league has to be restarted.

If you look later I said I don't play online franchise so that's irrelevant to me but I can see why others would get upset about it.