4. McVay
5. Payton
6. Harbaugh
7. Tomlin
8. Carroll
9. Arians
10. McDermott

HM: Flores, LaFleur, Reich, Stefanski, Rivera

Good list but I don't think McVay belongs that high.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Yeah he seems to have lost a bit of prestige since 2018. I’d still put him in the top 10. 

Yeah I would definitely have him in the top 10 but Super Bowl winning coaches like Payton, Harbaugh and Tomlin belong in front of him

18 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Yeah he seems to have lost a bit of prestige since 2018. I’d still put him in the top 10. 

Definitely think he belongs above Shanahan despite Shanahan owning him H2H recently.

8 minutes ago, ClutchDJ said:

Definitely think he belongs above Shanahan despite Shanahan owning him H2H recently.

What's your explanation on that take? Shanahan has put successful offenses on the field with CJ Beathard at quarterback and has proven to have consistent offensive play through his tenure as coordinator and head coach. McVay was successful out of the shoot but his offensive scheme has been figured out a bit and he has yet to prove he can transcend that. I would take Shanahan without hesitation.

• Like 1

Hmmmm

I’ll do a little more than 10 because I think it’d be unfair to leave out some names. 

1. Bill Bellichick

2. Andy Reid

3. Jim Harbaugh

4. Kyle Shanahan

5. Sean Payton

6. Pete Carroll

7. Frank Reich

8. Ron Rivera

9. Sean McDermott

10. Bruce Arians

Great Potential: 

11. Brian Flores

12. Kevin Stefanski

Solid Coaches in no specific order:

Sean McVay, Mike Vrabel, Mike Tomlin, Jon Gruden, Matt LaFleur. 

Notes: 

- People are sleeping on Rivera. This man took the Panthers from scratch and made them a contender year in and year out. He knows how to build a roster and he knows how to have a Top 5 Defense. He has quietly built a Top 3 Defense in Washington and just needs a Quarterback. Rivera is honestly on a Hall of Fame pace. 

- I can see people complaining about McVay, Tomlin, and Gruden so I’ll go into more detail. 

For McVay, I feel like he tends to get out-coached by other big coaches more often than not. The defense has always been the heart of the team as well while the offense has been borderline Top 10. Solid coach, but I feel he is overrated until he proves more. That can easily change this year if he wins that stacked division.

As for Tomlin, solid coach, but another coach that constantly seems to get out-coached by other great coaches on a consistent basis. Tomlin will go in the Hall of Fame most likely and it will be well deserved, however, I am talking about right now. Coaches do get stale.

As for Gruden, he is a horribleeee General Manager and horrible at Roster Moves. This has been the main reason the team has been bad. However, this thread is not judging him as a General Manager. As a Coach, he has been Top 5 in points per drive two seasons in a row, and two out of three seasons overall. His offensive scheme still works in the NFL and it still works extremely well. He also is a great leader. Don’t get me wrong, if we don’t have a winning record this year, I want Gruden gone. However, the reason for his failures have been his horrible roster management, not his Head Coaching abilities. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

Not quite sure how "never had a losing record with 4 playoff appearances" McVay is getting consistently rated below "31-36 with half the wins coming in 2019" Shanahan. 

I don't think SF is letting Shanahan go anywhere, so he should have at least 2 more years to prove that 2019 wasn't the fluke, but still based on results, McVay looks to be more consistently good, at least.