Top-10 Coaches in the NFL

WizeGuy

3 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

Kyle Shanahan is 29-35 as HC yet people are ranking him as a top 5 HC? He gets so much hype as a coach with little substance. Yes hes a good offensive mind but if you are going to be a top 5 HC can you at least have a winning record? This is 4 years as a HC as well. 

Agreed. Zimmer is 64-47-1. That's with a bad year where we lost nearly every player on defense in Free Agency or to Injury. Only Harrison Smith played every game on defense. One season last year where Zimmer's defense wasn't top 10 or better in points allowed. Oops he was 11th in his first year as coach. 

3 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

Kyle Shanahan is 29-35 as HC yet people are ranking him as a top 5 HC? He gets so much hype as a coach with little substance. Yes hes a good offensive mind but if you are going to be a top 5 HC can you at least have a winning record? This is 4 years as a HC as well. 

Kyle’s QB gets injured consistently. He made the Super Bowl already and is easily the #2 offensive mind in the NFL behind Reid. Let’s see you win with Nick Mullens and C.J. Beathard. 

The one year Jimmy stayed healthy, they dominated. Not to mention Kyle Shanahan IS the reason that 2016 Falcon team was in the Super Bowl. His offense was GOAT level stuff. He has basically led two teams to the Super Bowl. Dan Quinn was purely along for the ride on that one. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Kyle’s QB gets injured consistently. He made the Super Bowl already and is easily the #2 offensive mind in the NFL behind Reid. Let’s see you win with Nick Mullens and C.J. Beathard. 

The one year Jimmy stayed healthy, they dominated. Not to mention Kyle Shanahan IS the reason that 2016 Falcon team was in the Super Bowl. His offense was GOAT level stuff. He has basically led two teams to the Super Bowl. Dan Quinn was purely along for the ride on that one. 

His work as an offensive coordinator has nothing to do with his ranking as a HC

• Like 2

Bill Belichick
Andy Reid
Sean Payton
John Harbaugh
Mike Tomlin
Pete Carroll
Bruce Arians
Sean McVay
Brian Flores 
Kyle Shanahan

I know Belichick is hard to spell but for the greatest NFL coach all time, at least take the time to look it up to get it correct.  It is all based on winning and longevity, Brian Flores is one of the most up and coming coaches in the NFL I think.  And the consistency of guys like Reid, Payton, Harbaugh and Tomlin is very impressive.  

And the hype of some having Kevin Stefanski even in this conversation is ridiculous.  Had one good year on a completely stacked Browns roster that next year could be arguably the best roster top to bottom in football.  Many if not all NFL coaches could potentially succeed with that OL, RB, TE, WR and DL core.  There are more than a few current NFL head coaching hires that will most likely be gone in just a few years.  But all are looking for that new your coordinator ready to breakout.  

But regardless, all of these guys which one wins without a great QB?  None of them have arguably, they all needed a great QB to win games and win the big games.  McVay will be interesting how improved that offense is with an actual QB and will see how the Dolphins do and if Tua can improve, same with Shanahan if Jimmy can get back to form or if Trey takes over.  Also will show a lot how Sean Payton does without Drew.  

Edited by Ozzy
Dropped Shanahan

11 hours ago, TENINCH said:

Agreed. Zimmer is 64-47-1. That's with a bad year where we lost nearly every player on defense in Free Agency or to Injury. Only Harrison Smith played every game on defense. One season last year where Zimmer's defense wasn't top 10 or better in points allowed. Oops he was 11th in his first year as coach. 

I don't know what to think about Zimmer anymore.  He does a lot of things very well, but he also does things I don't understand.  One of the reasons I ended up migrating over the the Jaguars was because I lost faith in his ability to get the Vikings over the hump.  To be fair, he has had incredibly bad luck at the QB position, and that needs to be considered.  At the same time, this is going to be Cousins' fourth year and they haven't done much of anything with him. 

If Zim is not in the Top 10, he is probably pretty close to it.

19 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

To be fair, record isn’t everything. How would McDermott do having to constantly start Mullens, Beathard at QB etc for like 2 out of 3 seasons for example? 

He went 25-25 with Tyrod Taylor and buck wild Josh Allen at QB. Allen as a legit MVP is something that didn't start until *check notes* last season. That was a whole 9 mos ago so I know it's hard to remember that far back. 

On 6/7/2021 at 11:43 AM, notthatbluestuff said:

Not a top 10 coach = trash? 

He's not even getting any honorable mentions. I know his Vikings are coming off a down year, but some of these lists go 15+ deep and Zimmer hasn't been brought up yet.

14 hours ago, Ozzy said:

And the hype of some having Kevin Stefanski even in this conversation is ridiculous.  Had one good year on a completely stacked Browns roster that next year could be arguably the best roster top to bottom in football.  Many if not all NFL coaches could potentially succeed with that OL, RB, TE, WR and DL core.  There are more than a few current NFL head coaching hires that will most likely be gone in just a few years.  But all are looking for that new your coordinator ready to breakout.

It's pretty easy to say this on the surface but we all know from the previous 2 seasons, it wasn't that easy. Also in terms of having a stacked roster, it was very rare that we had that whole stacked roster on the field together due to contracting Covid, or injuries.

Myles Garrett, Odell Beckham Jr (IR), Wyatt Teller, Joel Bitonio, Jack Conklin, Jedrick Wills, Jarvis Landry, Denzel Ward, Greedy Williams (IR), Grant Delpit (IR), Oliver Vernon, David Njoku.

All of those names missed time during this season, and to be quite honest, not being to have certain things like mini camp ,preseason games and having the facility shut down and practice altered the most of any team in the NFL would be very difficult to any first year head coach. I think his leadership and direction was exactly what this team needed. Not that no other team went through adversity this season but if there was something that could go wrong, it did and this team stayed focused on the task at hand and pretty much got the job done (Even in the playoffs when Stefanski caught Covid and played the most complete game of the year). 

Come on now, we all know this same team would have been a dumpster fire under Kitchens or Hue Jackson. I'm not lobbying for him to be any higher than where he is but he was coach of the year for a reason and is one of the best up and coming coaches in the NFL.

The fact that the Browns actually have a culture of accountability and leadership is the biggest win there is and is all attributed to the leadership

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

His work as an offensive coordinator has nothing to do with his ranking as a HC

I mean he's coached literally a top 5 injury prone team every single season he has coached the team, including the year the team went to the SB. If you want to knock his GM skills for having trash back up QBs? That is fair, but with any decent QB play he is able to get his team to compete against damn near anyone. 

The team he and Lynch took over in 2017 also had the least amount of talent from any roster in the league. The fact the team went to the SB in year three was amazing. 

Record with Jimmy G: 22-8

Record without Jimmy G: 7-27

And no one even thinks highly of Jimmy or even thinks he is better than average. Yet without him the team wins at a completely opposite rate. 

I don't care where anyone rates Shanahan or what they think about him, but listing his W/L record without context is flawed. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

It's pretty easy to say this on the surface but we all know from the previous 2 seasons, it wasn't that easy. Also in terms of having a stacked roster, it was very rare that we had that whole stacked roster on the field together due to contracting Covid, or injuries.

Myles Garrett, Odell Beckham Jr (IR), Wyatt Teller, Joel Bitonio, Jack Conklin, Jedrick Wills, Jarvis Landry, Denzel Ward, Greedy Williams (IR), Grant Delpit (IR), Oliver Vernon, David Njoku.

All of those names missed time during this season, and to be quite honest, not being to have certain things like mini camp ,preseason games and having the facility shut down and practice altered the most of any team in the NFL would be very difficult to any first year head coach. I think his leadership and direction was exactly what this team needed. Not that no other team went through adversity this season but if there was something that could go wrong, it did and this team stayed focused on the task at hand and pretty much got the job done (Even in the playoffs when Stefanski caught Covid and played the most complete game of the year). 

Come on now, we all know this same team would have been a dumpster fire under Kitchens or Hue Jackson. I'm not lobbying for him to be any higher than where he is but he was coach of the year for a reason and is one of the best up and coming coaches in the NFL.

The fact that the Browns actually have a culture of accountability and leadership is the biggest win there is and is all attributed to the leadership

Kevin Stefanski is not a top 10 coach in the NFL.  He won coach of the year because of the improvement of the Browns from 6-10 to 11-5.  Sure he is better than Hue Jackson and Kitchens but so what, this is the conversation for top 10 coaches in the NFL not who is better than Hue Jackson and Kitchens.  In 2019 the Browns did not have Conklin at RT or Willis at LT.  Think that had nothing to do with the fact the team itself improved greatly? Give Stefanski Greg Robinson and Chris Hubbard the starting LT and RT for the 2020 team and they would not have won 11 games.  

Hunt had 179 yards in 2019 and then 841 yards in 2020, think that did not matter?  Also Harrison Bryant made a lot of plays at TE and gave them three legit TE weapons, People-Jones was outstanding 3rd option for the Browns and that was with OBJ out most of the season.  Granted Stefanski's simplified offense, focused on play action more and running the ball helped greatly, but again if he did not have the players it would not have mattered.  

Also so the Browns are not one of the most talented if not the most talented roster in the NFL?  What other team had 3 All Pro players on the offensive line?  Take two of those lineman out and it is a totally different team.  

He did a good job last year sure but he is not a top 10 coach in the NFL until he shows he can do it consistently and over a long period of time.  It was freaking one year!   Crown the guy already as a top 10 coach in the league after one year?  No thanks.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

He did a good job last year sure but he is not a top 10 coach in the NFL until he shows he can do it consistently and over a long period of time.  It was freaking one year!   Crown the guy already as a top 10 coach in the league after one year?  No thanks.  

21 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I'm not lobbying for him to be any higher than where he is but he was coach of the year for a reason and is one of the best up and coming coaches in the NFL.

That's kinda what I said 😄, and agreed

Edited by MSURacerDT55

4 hours ago, Nozizaki said:

He's not even getting any honorable mentions. I know his Vikings are coming off a down year, but some of these lists go 15+ deep and Zimmer hasn't been brought up yet.

Yep and they have all sort of excuses for Shanahan and a few other coaches but we're not allowed to use excuses for Zimmer. Our defensive head coach should be able to go out onto the field with rookies and back ups and perform as a top 10 defense.