Top-10 Coaches in the NFL

WizeGuy

17 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Yep and they have all sort of excuses for Shanahan and a few other coaches but we're not allowed to use excuses for Zimmer. Our defensive head coach should be able to go out onto the field with rookies and back ups and perform as a top 10 defense.

You may be talking to the wrong guy here, because I have Zim firmly on the hot seat. Yes the Vikings were ravaged by injuries and had to start a slew of rookies last year, but the uncompetitive manner they fell to 1-5 and finished 7-9 was unacceptable. But I put him on the hot seat because with a roster now free from holes he should easily be able to coach this team past the divisional round.

But Zimmer is pretty clearly a top 15 coach and if Minnesota did let him go, he would have no trouble finding another job.

6 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

He went 25-25 with Tyrod Taylor and buck wild Josh Allen at QB. Allen as a legit MVP is something that didn't start until *check notes* last season. That was a whole 9 mos ago so I know it's hard to remember that far back. 

You don’t have to be an MVP candidate to be better than Mullens and Beathard. And I mean, if we are going to equate a guy like Allen to Mullens, then Kyle deserves credit for coaching up an UDFA to be comparable to a top-10 pick. Can’t have it both ways.

If you were going to rank those four (in those given seasons), I think you’d assuredly take Taylor & Allen over Mullens and Beathard.

• Like 2

On 6/8/2021 at 11:39 AM, NYJets4716 said:

Kyle Shanahan is 29-35 as HC yet people are ranking him as a top 5 HC? He gets so much hype as a coach with little substance. Yes hes a good offensive mind but if you are going to be a top 5 HC can you at least have a winning record? This is 4 years as a HC as well. 

I wonder if context matters. Pretty sure it does…

Top 10 Active Head Coaches by winning%:

1) Matt LaFleur - .813

2) Bill Belichick - .673

3) Sean McVay - .672

4) Mike Tomlin - .650

5) Sean Payton - .638

6) Andy Reid - .629

7) John Harbaugh - .620

8 ) Pete Carroll - .606

9) Mike Vrabel - .604

10) Bruce Arians - .603

Next Best:

McCarthy (.600), McDermott (.594),  Smith (.589), Nagy (.583), Reich (.583), Zimmer (.576)

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Top 10 Active Head Coaches by winning%:

1) Matt LaFleur - .813

2) Bill Belichick - .673

3) Sean McVay - .672

4) Mike Tomlin - .650

5) Sean Payton - .638

6) Andy Reid - .629

7) John Harbaugh - .620

8 ) Pete Carroll - .606

9) Mike Vrabel - .604

10) Bruce Arians - .603

Next Best:

McCarthy (.600), McDermott (.594),  Smith (.589), Nagy (.583), Reich (.583), Zimmer (.576)

Thank Aaron Rodgers.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2021 at 1:44 PM, TENINCH said:

Yep and they have all sort of excuses for Shanahan and a few other coaches but we're not allowed to use excuses for Zimmer. Our defensive head coach should be able to go out onto the field with rookies and back ups and perform as a top 10 defense.

Mike Zimmer

11-5
8-8
13-3
8-7
10-6
7-9

64-47 head coaching record in his first 7 seasons as a head coach in the NFL.  If one considers his work as a long time coordinator that changes some things.  Was a DB coach for about 5 years then after that a DC for 13 straight seasons so that is some longevity.  

Kyle Shanahan

6-10
4-12
13-3
6-10

29-35 record in his only three seasons as a Head Coach.

Only difference is one went to a Super Bowl the other did not, McVay has a much better overall record as a HC than Shanahan, McVay is 43-21 and also went to a Super Bowl.  So yeah Zimmer could be higher if he went to a Super Bowl which obviously increases ones perceived coaching stock.  Still based on the lack of Playoff success and only winning one Division title, Zimmer should not be on the list but does have way more of a track record than many of these guys.  Very few of these head coaches were a defensive coordinator for three different teams 13 years in a row then after all of that became a HC and still is one.  

On 6/9/2021 at 12:47 PM, Ozzy said:

Kevin Stefanski is not a top 10 coach in the NFL.  He won coach of the year because of the improvement of the Browns from 6-10 to 11-5.  Sure he is better than Hue Jackson and Kitchens but so what, this is the conversation for top 10 coaches in the NFL not who is better than Hue Jackson and Kitchens.  In 2019 the Browns did not have Conklin at RT or Willis at LT.  Think that had nothing to do with the fact the team itself improved greatly? Give Stefanski Greg Robinson and Chris Hubbard the starting LT and RT for the 2020 team and they would not have won 11 games.  

Hunt had 179 yards in 2019 and then 841 yards in 2020, think that did not matter?  Also Harrison Bryant made a lot of plays at TE and gave them three legit TE weapons, People-Jones was outstanding 3rd option for the Browns and that was with OBJ out most of the season.  Granted Stefanski's simplified offense, focused on play action more and running the ball helped greatly, but again if he did not have the players it would not have mattered.  

Also so the Browns are not one of the most talented if not the most talented roster in the NFL?  What other team had 3 All Pro players on the offensive line?  Take two of those lineman out and it is a totally different team.  

He did a good job last year sure but he is not a top 10 coach in the NFL until he shows he can do it consistently and over a long period of time.  It was freaking one year!   Crown the guy already as a top 10 coach in the league after one year?  No thanks.  

Who is saying he is? You're throwing haymakers about Stefanski as if this thread is littered with people who got him as a top 5 coach when most don't have him on their top 10 lists at all. I think he got a couple honorable mentions and that's it.

Also, last year the Browns had one of the most talented rosters on offense. The defense was a disaster and is entirely the reason they were only 11-5.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vee-Rex said:

Who is saying he is? You're throwing haymakers about Stefanski as if this thread is littered with people who got him as a top 5 coach when most don't have him on their top 10 lists at all. I think he got a couple honorable mentions and that's it.

Also, last year the Browns had one of the most talented rosters on offense. The defense was a disaster and is entirely the reason they were only 11-5.

To even mention a guy as honorable mention for a top 10 coach in the NFL after his first season ever as a HC is a freaking joke.  Sure the defense is nothing great but they were good enough and should be greatly improved next year with Clowney, Owusu-Koramoah, Anthony Walker, John Johnson, Harrison, Newsome, Troy Hill, Malik Jackson, Billings etc.  I still say where are all these NFL rosters better than the Browns on offense and defense?  But sure when I say best roster in the NFL it is more this years roster than last years, and going forward Kevin will benefit greatly from the roster they have next year which is pretty stacked as of right now. 

18 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Still based on the lack of Playoff success and only winning one Division title, Zimmer should not be on the list but does have way more of a track record than many of these guys.  Very few of these head coaches were a defensive coordinator for three different teams 13 years in a row then after all of that became a HC and still is one.  

Just so you don't get caught in a bet he has 2 division titles and 3 playoff appearances.

22 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Just so you don't get caught in a bet he has 2 division titles and 3 playoff appearances.

That is correct, two division titles my mistake, which is great but clearly all that matters in a Super Bowl appearances, proof being how many view Kyle Shanahan because of it.  

36 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

That is correct, two division titles my mistake, which is great but clearly all that matters in a Super Bowl appearances, proof being how many view Kyle Shanahan because of it.  

We've seen what Kyle Shanahan can do with a healthy roster, and it's more than Zimmer has ever done. He also steamrollered Zimmer's team in the playoffs in the process. 

Question: What success has Kyle Shanahan had as an HC that Ron Rivera hasn't? 

People need to stop making so many excuses for Shanny, or at least allow for excuses to be made for others as well and apply that fairly.

Edited by HTTRDynasty
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

We've seen what Kyle Shanahan can do with a healthy roster, and it's more than Zimmer has ever done. He also steamrollered Zimmer's team in the playoffs in the process. 

Kyle Shanahan is a great young up and coming coach in the NFL, and I never said I have Zimmer rated higher as a higher coach either.  But Kyle has a career HC record of 29-35 and you take out that Super Bowl run and it is pretty average.  Will see how he does this year.  Also Kyle got into the job because of his father and who his father knew who got Kyle his first coordinator jobs in the NFL and arguably any job in the NFL period.  Proof of that is Kyle was a Grad assistant in college one year then off to work in the NFL, it took Mike Zimmer 15 years to get out of the college ranks and he was at three different schools during that time.

Kyle Shanahan started at the age of 24 and has been in coaching for 18 years, 5 years as a HC, Mike Zimmer started at 23 and has been in coaching 42 years and 8 of those as a HC.  Mike Zimmer's dad was a high school football coach for 35 years so he learned as well from him.  But Kyle Shanahan's dad was a three time Super Bowl winning coach in the NFL.  Who had a easier path to success much less path to get into NFL coaching?  

Oh and the 49ers beat Mike Zimmer's Vikings once in their only meeting in the playoffs, steamrollered?  Ok I guess one showing ever is absolutely domination forever.  

Will see how Kyle does this year, because outside that Super Bowl year he is 16-32 coaching record.  

3 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Question: What success has Kyle Shanahan had as an HC that Ron Rivera hasn't? 

People need to stop making so many excuses for Shanny, or at least allow for excuses to be made for others as well and apply that fairly.

True, and he had that Super Bowl run with Carolina as well and that great job he did in Washington last year which was outstanding and got that organization right back on track.  

• Like 1