What team that is expected to be great will be terrible this year?

CP3MVP

49 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

With the Wilson/Carroll situation and Rodgers/Love situation my sense was these teams don't have great expectations.

If Rodgers plays, don’t see how the Packers/Seahawks aren’t widely considered the two of the top 3/4 teams in the NFC.

6 hours ago, Daniel said:

Oh yeah, for sure. I expect it will this season, but I also expect that regression to be more like him dropping to just like 1200 yards as a rusher, and not an absolute plummet.

If Julio ends up in Tennessee, and if Evans looks half as good as he did against Houston last year, the offense would still be a dynamic one.

Yeah. I’m not really an Evans guy.

And the Houston game? I didn’t have to think long for a rebuttal. They were bottom 5 on defense in every metric last year. They made a lot of people look good.

6 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

It makes sense on paper...but seems so salty coming from you.

It is, lol. 

Also, declines to mention who all these declining players really are. Maybe Suh? David hasn’t really fallen off. JPP isn’t really down swinging yet. Tom? Not shown any yet. Gronk/AB? Not really relied upon. 

Rest of the team’s actually got some youth. The entire secondary, most of the OL, the receiving core, the running backs, White and Vea on D...

3 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

This thread was made for the Cleveland Browns.

why? it's not like they lost any talent, they have a solid coach, and mayfield is decent at worst and might be turning a corner. they could regress, sure, but i'm not sure what would cause them to be terrible.

i think the colts are an obvious pick if they get 2020 wentz. that combined with uncertainty at OL and DB could lead to something of an implosion, though i still think full collapse is unlikely with them. saints are so obvious that they don't even really qualify for this thread lol. rams could be another one if stafford doesn't live up to expectations and their defense regresses with the departure of staley.

Edited by -Hope-
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

why? it's not like they lost any talent, they have a solid coach, and mayfield is decent at worst and might be turning a corner. they could regress, sure, but i'm not sure what would cause them to be terrible.

i think the colts are an obvious pick if they get 2020 wentz. that combined with uncertainty at OL and DB could lead to something of an implosion, though i still think full collapse is unlikely with them. saints are so obvious that they don't even really qualify for this thread lol. rams could be another one if stafford doesn't live up to expectations and their defense regresses with the departure of staley.

They're the Browns, I just expect them to fail every year, and all of those reasons are why people have huge expectations for them this year. Does anyone really have any high expectations for the Colts this year?

I feel like most people are misunderstanding the question here. Teams like the Saints and Colts don't have high expectations, people EXPECT them to regress or be average-at-best.

21 hours ago, RTTRUTH said:

Rams might be my next choice. Their roster is just paper thin. One injury could make winning tough for them. Had a strange draft. 

Every year it feels like people say the Rams roster is paper thin. Last year should convince people that its not. The Rams lost Whitworth down the stretch, lost Henderson down the stretch, Akers was hurt and missed time and even Goff got hurt down the stretch yet the Rams won a must win game Week 17 with their backup QB Wofford and then went into Seattle in the playoffs and won. I didnt even mention on defense the Rams lost Fuller for games then Burgess stepped in and did a good a job before he got hurt then Scott stepped in and did a good job until Fuller game back. So the Rams have depth its just either nobody heard of them or they dont jump off the screen because they arent high picks or established players. The Rams are just well coached and put the players in position to succeed. 

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

They're the Browns, I just expect them to fail every year, and all of those reasons are why people have huge expectations for them this year. Does anyone really have any high expectations for the Colts this year?

I feel like most people are misunderstanding the question here. Teams like the Saints and Colts don't have high expectations, people EXPECT them to regress or be average-at-best.

that's why i said the saints don't qualify. i don't know if the colts are expected to be *great*, but they're absolutely talked about as being in contention for the AFC south title.

I think this year is going to speak volumes about the Browns. People are ranking them as a top 6 team in the NFL this season. Some even think they can be a surprise Superbowl team coming out of the AFC if the Chiefs dont come out. The Ravens should still be good, I think the Steelers will still be where they normally are which is a winning season if not better and I think if Burrow is healthy the Bengals will be better than last season obviously. The Browns might not be better than last season based on the division alone and it wouldnt shock me if they barely made the playoffs if not miss out on it completely. 

9 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Every year it feels like people say the Rams roster is paper thin. Rams won a must win game Week 17 with their backup QB Wofford and then went into Seattle in the playoffs and won. The Rams are just well coached and put the players in position to succeed. 

On the bolded part we agree.

Let me re-phrase. The Rams have VERY FEW quality backups. What is your goal? I know what the front office goal is. And in regards to that, the roster is paper thin. Who’s the impact player if Aaron Donald misses the playoffs?

Or your new QB (who I happen to like). How many games has he missed in his career?

You might beat a Seattle team whose defense gets worse every season and can’t get out of their own way. But one serious injury and you won’t beat a quality team (so talking playoffs here). 

Whit is now in his 40’s and honestly from the games I saw last year he might be doing more harm than good at this point. Took penalties at key moments. 

You want to act like they’re happy at C and losing Blythe is no big deal. But Blythe beat your projected starter for the job repeatedly and had versatility. 

Now you lost your DC too. Be optimistic if you want. But I’m saying unless injury luck is incredibly kind to you, your odds are long. 

And let’s agree on one other thing here. For this team anything less than a SB appearance is a failure.

38 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

that's why i said the saints don't qualify. i don't know if the colts are expected to be *great*, but they're absolutely talked about as being in contention for the AFC south title.

Well I mean, yeah...? They're the clear 2nd place team in that division with Jacksonville being maybe 1 year away and the Texans fully in rebuild/whatever mode. I still don't expect them to cross 8 wins.

16 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Well I mean, yeah...? They're the clear 2nd place team in that division with Jacksonville being maybe 1 year away and the Texans fully in rebuild/whatever mode. I still don't expect them to cross 8 wins.

Honestly I’m a Colts fan. But Homerism aside, I still feel like preseason it’s a 1A 1B with Colts/Titans. And not a 1st place Titans, 2nd place Colts situation.

If people are handing the Titans the crown now, I think they’re either giving them too much credit, or us too little. I don’t see them as a superior team to us from top to bottom. It’s an interesting matchup because their D is exploitable, but offense is our bigger question mark.

Edited by RTTRUTH