What team that is expected to be great will be terrible this year?

CP3MVP

1 hour ago, RTTRUTH said:

On the bolded part we agree.

Let me re-phrase. The Rams have VERY FEW quality backups. What is your goal? I know what the front office goal is. And in regards to that, the roster is paper thin. Who’s the impact player if Aaron Donald misses the playoffs?

Or your new QB (who I happen to like). How many games has he missed in his career?

You might beat a Seattle team whose defense gets worse every season and can’t get out of their own way. But one serious injury and you won’t beat a quality team (so talking playoffs here). 

Whit is now in his 40’s and honestly from the games I saw last year he might be doing more harm than good at this point. Took penalties at key moments. 

You want to act like they’re happy at C and losing Blythe is no big deal. But Blythe beat your projected starter for the job repeatedly and had versatility. 

Now you lost your DC too. Be optimistic if you want. But I’m saying unless injury luck is incredibly kind to you, your odds are long. 

And let’s agree on one other thing here. For this team anything less than a SB appearance is a failure.

Its hard to replace Donald if he gets hurt. Thats like saying, who is going to replace Mahomes if he gets hurt. At the same time, the Rams paid Floyd a ton of money that if Donald was to get hurt they are looking at him to now get those pressures and sacks. Also Im looking at guys like Lewis and Obo both 2nd and 3rd year players that has ton of potential they just need to stay healthy. 

McVay is super confident in Wofford as the backup if Stafford gets hurt and misses time. Coming into last season many Rams fans thought the Rams had no legit backup. Wofford came in when Goff was hurt and led the Rams to a must win Week 17 to get into the playoffs. He will only get better too. 

Not saying anyone is happy losing Blythe but you must understand that before Blythe, who was the C? Then Blythe took over and did a reasonable job. You cant tell me that the next guy cant do a reasonable job if not better just like Blythe did when he took over when the previous guy left? That previous guy btw was the vet Sullivan and people was wondering how will the Rams replace him?

I know we lost our DC. Again, we lost Wade and I thought he would be tough to replace and we replaced him with Staley who was great. Im never doubting McVay when it comes to finding coaches for his staff. As far as injuries, alot of luck plays a part but as too the team has to have a great medical staff and the coach has to be able to manage the team throughout the season. I actually looked this up and the Rams have been in the top 10-12 in terms of the healthiest teams since 2016. Most of them they have been 1 and 2. The worst year which was 2019 they were I think 12th. So yeah it takes luck but the Rams have a great medical staff and McVay does a great job managing the team so they can make it through an entire season relatively healthy.

For me I dont think that anything less than a SB appearance will be a failure. Ive said that with Stafford I expect the Rams to at least get back to the divisional round then we will see if he can be the difference in them getting to the NFCCG or not. Even in 2018 when the Rams went and got Talib, Suh, Peters, Cooks, and Fowler I said I think they make it the NFCCG and then see what happens. So if the Rams make it to the NFCCG and lose to the Bucs I wont think its a failure. If they dont make the playoffs or lose the wildcard round or the divisional round then Ill think its a failure. Thats for this year though. Next season Ill say its Superbowl or bust for the Rams. 

On 6/4/2021 at 12:53 PM, Mr Raider said:

Green Bay would be my choice if Rodgers is traded, but if he is actually traded I feel like they would no longer qualify as a team expected to be great at that point. 

How would anyone expect them to do well if Aaron Rodgers is traded? Defeats the purpose of the thread. 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2021 at 10:08 AM, minutemancl said:

For the Bills, maybe Josh Allen gets away with less poor throws and should-be interceptions. Maybe Poyer and Hyde, the two parts of that dynamic safety duo for so many years, both hit the wall hard at 30 and their pass defense becomes suspect.

And maybe the the Bills just are the same team as they were last year while the rest of the AFC East has caught up.

On 6/4/2021 at 4:52 PM, Tk3 said:

I'll use Draftkings over/under win total as my guide. This is the list of teams with a win total of 10 or higher (top 8 teams.. what I would feel qualifies as "great")

1. Chiefs 12
  2. Bucs 11.5
  3. Ravens 11
  4. 49ers 10.5
  5. Bills 10.5
  6. Packers 10.5
  7. Rams 10.5
  8. Colts 10

I'll say that among this group. 49ers if they choose to play Trey Lance, and the Colts jump out as the most likely to miss the playoffs or be under .500

I think teams like the Chargers, Dolphins, Cowboys, Patriots, Saints, who all fall in the 9-9.5 win total group, have a chance to disappoint as well, but by definition I'm not including them as highly regarded enough

I'm trying to imagine betting the Chiefs under 12 wins. How many things have to go wrong for them to lose 6+ times, given the makeup of this league and the current rules? I guess that bet could cash but let's just say anyone who makes that wager I don't like their chances as a long term speculator.

There is value at the extremes. I learned that via 24 years in Las Vegas as a sports bettor. In this era the highest season win over/under is seldom high enough. 

Any team who’s star offensive players had a phenomenal career year that’s an outlier from their normal production in a season where games were played without any fans could come crashing back to earth next year, IMO.

This lines up the Bills and Browns potentially regressing as I think fan noise and the added pressure could see their QBs numbers revert a bit closer to their career norm. communicating and executing is a lot different without 65,000 screaming lunatics shouting at you.

9 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

If Rodgers plays, don’t see how the Packers/Seahawks aren’t widely considered the two of the top 3/4 teams in the NFC.

I think the Vikings are a fair bit better than they were in 2020 and the Bears will remain competitive somewhere between where they have been in the last two seasons, (so better than 8 wins but probably not as many as 12 in the regular season). GB, meanwhile, with Rodgers and all his drama, (if playing), will return essentially the same team. I will say I think Myers and Amari are good rookies on offense that contribute instantly, whereas their first rounder Stokes is a bonafide bust waiting to happen. I expect some type of regression even from Rodgers himself as he gets older and is fast approaching the end of his career. Has been brittle in the past so we'll see how he holds up even.

Edited by DoleINGout

The 2020 Rams had their MVP hurt his ribs and they turned into cuddly kittens on D.

Green Bay annihilated them. 484 yards and 32 points (that's 32 + taking a knee inside the Rams 10)

No sacks

No turnovers

The 1/1 D played like the 24/24 D because one guy was in pain.

Going with the Rams, but because of injury. I don’t think Stafford and Donald will be reliable and you can’t build a team on couple cornerstones with no depth behind them. Plus tough division. 8-9.

I think everyone expecting an 9-8 type of year for Minnesota, but I’m thinking 4-13 sending Cousins to semi retirement.

3 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

I think the Vikings are a fair bit better than they were in 2020 and the Bears will remain competitive somewhere between where they have been in the last two seasons, (so better than 8 wins but probably not as many as 12 in the regular season). GB, meanwhile, with Rodgers and all his drama, (if playing), will return essentially the same team. I will say I think Myers and Amari are good rookies on offense that contribute instantly, whereas their first rounder Stokes is a bonafide bust waiting to happen. I expect some type of regression even from Rodgers himself as he gets older and is fast approaching the end of his career. Has been brittle in the past so we'll see how he holds up even.

ESPN has them in their top 4 in the NFC, Seattle 8th overall. 

NFL has them in their top 4 in the NFC, Seattle 8th overall. 

NBCSports has them in their top 4 in the NFC, Seattle 8th overall. 

PFN has them in their top 4 in the NFC, Seattle 8th overall.

PFF has Green Bay 2nd in the NFC and Seattle 10th overall. 

I’d certainly say these teams generally have high expectations. Do you have links that show that maybe the general public or media do not see them so highly?

3 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

1A 2A? What does that mean? 

That’s a way of saying they’re closer to tied for first than there being an obvious superior team.

But actually Duh! I just realized I used it wrong.

It’s supposed to be 1a 1b. My bad. 

Edited by RTTRUTH

15 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

Its hard to replace Donald if he gets hurt. Thats like saying, who is going to replace Mahomes if he gets hurt. At the same time, the Rams paid Floyd a ton of money that if Donald was to get hurt they are looking at him to now get those pressures and sacks. Also Im looking at guys like Lewis and Obo both 2nd and 3rd year players that has ton of potential they just need to stay healthy. 

McVay is super confident in Wofford as the backup if Stafford gets hurt and misses time. Coming into last season many Rams fans thought the Rams had no legit backup. Wofford came in when Goff was hurt and led the Rams to a must win Week 17 to get into the playoffs. He will only get better too. 

Not saying anyone is happy losing Blythe but you must understand that before Blythe, who was the C? Then Blythe took over and did a reasonable job. You cant tell me that the next guy cant do a reasonable job if not better just like Blythe did when he took over when the previous guy left? That previous guy btw was the vet Sullivan and people was wondering how will the Rams replace him?

I know we lost our DC. Again, we lost Wade and I thought he would be tough to replace and we replaced him with Staley who was great. Im never doubting McVay when it comes to finding coaches for his staff. As far as injuries, alot of luck plays a part but as too the team has to have a great medical staff and the coach has to be able to manage the team throughout the season. I actually looked this up and the Rams have been in the top 10-12 in terms of the healthiest teams since 2016. Most of them they have been 1 and 2. The worst year which was 2019 they were I think 12th. So yeah it takes luck but the Rams have a great medical staff and McVay does a great job managing the team so they can make it through an entire season relatively healthy.

For me I dont think that anything less than a SB appearance will be a failure. Ive said that with Stafford I expect the Rams to at least get back to the divisional round then we will see if he can be the difference in them getting to the NFCCG or not. Even in 2018 when the Rams went and got Talib, Suh, Peters, Cooks, and Fowler I said I think they make it the NFCCG and then see what happens. So if the Rams make it to the NFCCG and lose to the Bucs I wont think its a failure. If they dont make the playoffs or lose the wildcard round or the divisional round then Ill think its a failure. Thats for this year though. Next season Ill say its Superbowl or bust for the Rams. 

Why next season? You mean 2022?

What would change?