Keep on Rockin’ in the Bree-land.

wcblack34

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

expectations? What does it mean for Gladney?

It means that after Gladney's likely 4-game suspension, and likely missing camp and the pre-season, he will face more competition for getting plays in the rotation of back-ups when Breeland and Hand are filling in for Alexander, Patterson, and Dantzler.  Gladney was slated mostly for the slot, and Alexander will be mostly there.  Breeland can fill in both wide and slot.  If Breeland plays well in The Slot during the first 4 games, Gladney will lose more opportunity for snaps than if Breeland doesn't.  With the late start and only preparation on the fly, after the season has started, Gladney, IF he's allowed to play this season, will face an uphill battle to get real game playing time, unless Alexander gets injured, or there are several injuries at the same time, in The Vikings' backfield.  I hope he doesn't go to jail (the length of time with not being officially charged with a felony-or any crime, makes it appear that a deal is in the works), and he's allowed to play this season, and is not suspended by The NFL or gets a very short one, and will be able to play in most of The Vikings' games, at least to keep on an upward career trajectory.  But, I don't see him being a major contributor to The Vikings' secondary - just a member of the fill-in rotation.

Damn what a move, did not expect they had the cash to do this one.  How much he getting and I assume it is just a one year deal?  

I see here Breeland has 32 starts in two years on KC and 6 post season starts.  

Depending on how he looks he could be the starting CB opposite Peterson and Dantzler would be out and Mac the slot corner.  Either way has any team improved their CB group more than the Vikings have this off season, the answer is no.  

I suppose the Chiefs want Sneed to start and Breeland is out and they are pleased enough with Fenton as the backup to Ward and Sneed.  Also go Mike Hughes, so in a way Vikings get rid of Mike Hughes and get Breeland, that is an upgrade every which way.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Damn what a move, did not expect they had the cash to do this one.  How much he getting and I assume it is just a one year deal?  

I see here Breeland has 32 starts in two years on KC and 6 post season starts.  

Depending on how he looks he could be the starting CB opposite Peterson and Dantzler would be out and Mac the slot corner.  Either way has any team improved their CB group more than the Vikings have this off season, the answer is no.  

I suppose the Chiefs want Sneed to start and Breeland is out and they are pleased enough with Fenton as the backup to Ward and Sneed.  Also go Mike Hughes, so in a way Vikings get rid of Mike Hughes and get Breeland, that is an upgrade every which way.  

It's a one-year deal, up to a top limit of $4 million, including the incentive bonuses.  Maybe $3-3.5 in salary, and $0.5-$1 million in bonuses?  They are working on the extension for O'Neill, and plan one for Smith, too.  And they're still interested in signing Geno Atkins.  I hope they'll take care of Danielle with a long-term contract that satisfies him.  These last roster additions will help a lot, but might be meaningless if Hunter doesn't play for them this season.  But even with creative Cap manipulation, they'll probably still need at least several million to get Hunter up to, at least $22-23 million per year.

Edited by Robb_K
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Robb_K said:

It's a one-year deal, up to a top limit of $4 million, including the incentive bonuses.  Maybe $3-3.5 in salary, and $0.5-$1 million in bonuses?  They are working on the extension for O'Neill, and plan one for Smith, too.  And they're still interested in signing Geno Adkins.  I hope they'll take care of Danielle with a long-term contract that satisfies him.  These last roster additions will help a lot, but might be meaningless if Hunter doesn't play for them this season.  But even with creative Cap manipulation, they'll probably still need at least several million to get Hunter up to, at least $22-23 million per year.

That is what seems odd, one would think Hunter is priority but maybe that is why they took so many DEs in the last draft.  Hope not but honestly Breeland is awesome to get but so what if Hunter is not on the roster next year.  Hopefully that is not the case but still no clue where they are getting all this money to make moves with when they were crazy in the red projected for the salary next year.  

Sure change some contracts around, change some guarantees but still.  Also sucks all these one year deals, then if they do play well on the one year deal no way they would have enough to sign any of them if they play well.  

Will be curious how it works out and what it means for Gladney, sure it is not good getting a corner with that many starts and experience in the NFL.  He did have some trouble with the law recently so maybe that is why the Chiefs got rid of him but again I think a lot of it is Sneed who they liked more than Breeland.  

With Hunters contract though in 2021 he is supposed to make $12 mil, 2022 around $11 mil and 2023 around $11 mil.  That is not good enough for him?  When he is coming off injury and who knows what he is like coming back from it.  Sure if he was amazing last year maybe but that is a lot of money and it is locked in for awhile.  Wants a new deal?  Well produce and then could readdress it after next year.  

18 hours ago, Ozzy said:

That is what seems odd, one would think Hunter is priority but maybe that is why they took so many DEs in the last draft.  Hope not but honestly Breeland is awesome to get but so what if Hunter is not on the roster next year.  Hopefully that is not the case but still no clue where they are getting all this money to make moves with when they were crazy in the red projected for the salary next year.  

Sure change some contracts around, change some guarantees but still.  Also sucks all these one year deals, then if they do play well on the one year deal no way they would have enough to sign any of them if they play well.  

Will be curious how it works out and what it means for Gladney, sure it is not good getting a corner with that many starts and experience in the NFL.  He did have some trouble with the law recently so maybe that is why the Chiefs got rid of him but again I think a lot of it is Sneed who they liked more than Breeland.  

With Hunters contract though in 2021 he is supposed to make $12 mil, 2022 around $11 mil and 2023 around $11 mil.  That is not good enough for him?  When he is coming off injury and who knows what he is like coming back from it.  Sure if he was amazing last year maybe but that is a lot of money and it is locked in for awhile.  Wants a new deal?  Well produce and then could readdress it after next year.  

The Vikings under The Wilfs want to make their players happy.  They realise that Hunter is probably among the top 3-4 defensive ends in The NFL, and yet, he is paid only as the 17th best.  Joey Bosa, certainly not among the top 8 is now getting $27 million per year.  That's DOUBLE what Danielle is getting.  I agree that Hunter should, at least come to Camp, and show The Vikings that his neck isn't a problem, before they offer him a new contract.  But, they still have about $10-11 million left.  But, IF they sign Atkins for $7-8 million, they won't have much left for both O'Neill and Smith, and also Danielle to be restructured, higher, unless each gets only $1-2 million in salary this season, and ALL the rest in bonuses for this coming season, and ALL that money is pushed into later contract years, when it will explode on The Vikings, all at once, like that strategy did to The 49ers after their run of Super Bowls.

Edited by Robb_K

6 hours ago, Robb_K said:

The Vikings under The Wilfs want to make their players happy.  They realise that Hunter is probably among the top 3-4 defensive ends in The NFL, and yet, he is paid only as the 17th best.  Joey Bosa, certainly not among the top 8 is now getting $27 million per year.  That's DOUBLE what Danielle is getting.  I agree that Hunter should, at least come to Camp, and show The Vikings that his neck isn't a problem, before they offer him a new contract.  But, they still have about $10-11 million left.  But, IF they sign Adkins for $7-8 million, they won't have much left for both O'Neill and Smith, and also Danielle to be restructured, higher, unless each gets only $1-2 million in salary this season, and ALL the rest in bonuses for this coming season, and ALL that money is pushed into later contract years, when it will explode on The Vikings, all at once, like that strategy did to The 49ers after their run of Super Bowls.

Sure Hunter is a top 3-4 DE in the league but play this year, show you are that and then complain about the contract next year I would think.  I would say Joey Bosa is among the top 8 DEs in the league, but yeah when both are healthy I would take Hunter over him.  I would say the top ones are these guys potentially, and Hunter is right there sure but again did not do anything obviously last year so there is that question.  

Myles Garrett
Danielle Hunter
Joey Bosa
Nick Bosa
Chase Young

It is hard for DEs to get paid because you have guys like Leonard Floyd, ZaDarius Smith, Hassan Reddick, TJ Watt, Khalil Mack, Brian Burns, Shaq Barrett, Bud Dupree etc who are more versatile and still get just as many sack numbers as those DEs do.  Play like a DE but are a 3/4 OLB with a little more range but similar production.  Even Jason Pierre-Paul could be considered one of the top DEs in the NFL but even he is in a 3/4 system, plays DE but is considered a OLB and was super productive and good last year.

Also in terms of leadership Harrison Smith is more important than Hunter is in that regard.  But Hunter will play at a higher level potentially the next year years, not sure Harrison will but hopefully.  Still sucks to get all these pieces but ultimately long term they will not be able to pay them and it is just a rent a player then they go and there is no consistency but most teams are doing that off the pandemic and few are getting long term deals.

Still on paper hard to say any team in the NFL has improved their defense more than the Vikings have.  If Hunter is not included in that, well it matters a ton but they could still be a good unit.  

5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Sure Hunter is a top 3-4 DE in the league but play this year, show you are that and then complain about the contract next year I would think.  I would say Joey Bosa is among the top 8 DEs in the league, but yeah when both are healthy I would take Hunter over him.  I would say the top ones are these guys potentially, and Hunter is right there sure but again did not do anything obviously last year so there is that question.  

Myles Garrett
Danielle Hunter
Joey Bosa
Nick Bosa
Chase Young

It is hard for DEs to get paid because you have guys like Leonard Floyd, ZaDarius Smith, Hassan Reddick, TJ Watt, Khalil Mack, Brian Burns, Shaq Barrett, Bud Dupree etc who are more versatile and still get just as many sack numbers as those DEs do.  Play like a DE but are a 3/4 OLB with a little more range but similar production.  Even Jason Pierre-Paul could be considered one of the top DEs in the NFL but even he is in a 3/4 system, plays DE but is considered a OLB and was super productive and good last year.

Also in terms of leadership Harrison Smith is more important than Hunter is in that regard.  But Hunter will play at a higher level potentially the next year years, not sure Harrison will but hopefully.  Still sucks to get all these pieces but ultimately long term they will not be able to pay them and it is just a rent a player then they go and there is no consistency but most teams are doing that off the pandemic and few are getting long term deals.

Still on paper hard to say any team in the NFL has improved their defense more than the Vikings have.  If Hunter is not included in that, well it matters a ton but they could still be a good unit.  

It can be argued that for the type of defense that Minnesota runs that Hunter is just as valuable as Mack and Barrett are to their respective defenses. Historically the 4-3 depends on LEs to to play the run and the pass equally at an effective level. Hunter does that to a very high degree in terms of both. Myles Garrett is the current comparison.

Also, I get that the Vikings may have improved the Defense up the gut and at corner, but generating pressure off the edge is the one thing every team in the NFL needs to do most. We weren't pressuring QBs at all the final five games of the season.  The Vikings had a handful of pressures and 2 of them came from Eric Wilson. 

I'm right there with Robb_K on the Breeland move. And if I'm Hunter I'm paying attention to how this team just used some of that Rudolph money.

1 hour ago, babababa said:

It can be argued that for the type of defense that Minnesota runs that Hunter is just as valuable as Mack and Barrett are to their respective defenses. Historically the 4-3 depends on LEs to to play the run and the pass equally at an effective level. Hunter does that to a very high degree in terms of both. Myles Garrett is the current comparison.

Also, I get that the Vikings may have improved the Defense up the gut and at corner, but generating pressure off the edge is the one thing every team in the NFL needs to do most. We weren't pressuring QBs at all the final five games of the season.  The Vikings had a handful of pressures and 2 of them came from Eric Wilson. 

I'm right there with Robb_K on the Breeland move. And if I'm Hunter I'm paying attention to how this team just used some of that Rudolph money.

I am not saying Hunter is not valuable as say Mack or Barrett.  He is very important, I am saying with so maybe good 3/4 OLBs out there, it kind of devalues a true DE, the true DE position is not as needed as it once was and if one is just looking at getting after the QB 3/4 OLBs usually get more sacks than a typical 4/3 DE.  Sure some responsibilities are different but yeah I would say it is harder to play a dominating 4/3 DE spot and be good against the run and as a pass rusher than being a dominating 3/4 OLB because they are moved around more and with the two ILBs the blitz options are harder to pickup.

Still Hunter did not play all last season and who knows what he looks like on the field after not playing for over a year.  Might be a little early for him to hold out for a new bigger contract, go out and perform for a year, then he would have a lot more leverage I would think.