Keep on Rockin’ in the Bree-land.

Via Chris Tomasson of the St. Paul Pioneer Press, Breeland is expected to compete with Cameron Dantzler for the starting outside cornerback spot across from veteran newcomer Patrick Peterson. Breeland’s one-year deal is worth up to $4 million, per Tomasson.

Mackensie Alexander, who has returned to the Vikings after a year with the Bengals, is the top candidate to be the starting nickel corner.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/06/05/bashaud-breeland-is-expected-to-compete-with-cameron-dantzler-for-a-starting-job/

• Like 1

I like the Breeland signing.   We get a guy with SB experience to pair with a perennial All-Pro in helping the team develop young DBs.   Plus, it seems the roster talent-depth is better at CB is better than it has ever been . . . I mean better than the Browner/Lee days.   

The defensive line and LBers should be jacked knowing teams will need to think about .x seconds on passing downs.    If Zimmer gets all these guys pressing WRs the way he wants, and teams can't run on the D-Line, this will be a much improved pass D and turn over machine.  

Hoping the offense IS NOT a TO machine😂

• Like 1
4 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Peterson, Danzler, Breeland, Alexander, Hand, and Gladney. 

good cb group.

Its probably the best I've ever seen us had since I've been watching.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Boyd and Smith might be long shots at this point.

Might be true, but as of right now, he’s in the mix. I love all the competition. Great group of CB’s.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

Its probably the best I've ever seen us had since I've been watching.

2009 with Antonie Winfield, Cedric Griffin, Asher Allen and Bennie Sapp was pretty good.

2017 with Xavier Rhodes, Terence Newman, Trae Waynes, Mac Alexander and Marcus Sherels was pretty good as well.

Not sure this group is up that high because Peterson is not in his prime like Winfield and Rhodes were.  Sure if Patrick Peterson plays great but he is pretty old and is on a short deal, same with Breeland.  Could be great but Gladney is a big question who knows what the long term future holds with him.  Still no clue why they let Alexander go last year anyway, he would have helped last year a lot and knows the defense.  

Is greatly better than the year previous at CB no question though.  

2006 Vikings had Winfield and Fred Smoot which was interesting but Smoot did not play great for the Vikings.  Also had Charles Gordon on the bench who had tons of potential but did not turn out, that was a surprise Gordon was an amazing all around athlete on Kansas played great special teams and played on offense a lot as well, true three way player.  That team also had Griffin on the bench, Griffin could have been great but never really turned out either and as a big corner got beat more than he should have.  Winfield is a straight HOF player though and was awesome and arguably the best corner this team possibly ever had in terms of consistent greatness over a long time, Rhodes was great also but not as long term consistent as Winfield was.    

11 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Boyd and Smith might be long shots at this point.

I thought I heard that Smith was good on special teams.  Maybe he'll make it that way and provide deep depth

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Ozzy said:

2017 with Xavier Rhodes, Terence Newman, Trae Waynes, Mac Alexander and Marcus Sherels was pretty good as well.

You should have stopped at Alexander...Love Sherels, but he was a terrible cornerback.  Mediocre would have been a step up from where he was.  

• Like 1
On 6/5/2021 at 2:17 PM, SemperFeist said:

I think that’s in France. 

Wouldn't that actually be Home of the Brie?  

On topic though, I don't think the signing of Breeland means a whole lot.  He certainly adds depth and he's a decent player, but he's not a secondary-changing CB.  He might end up being the starting CB opposite Peterson, but I also think it's far more likely that he ends up being the first player off the bench behind Dantzler.  He never impressed me all that much here in KC...while he was on a team that won the Super Bowl, there wasn't anything real impressive about him...in a secondary that has never been all that impressive to begin with.  He makes plays in the postseason...which is certainly important, but that's about all there is to him.  Most of the season, he's rather invisible.  

Love the added experience Breeland brings. He's a good corner with ball skills and he rarely misses time.

With corners it's very similar to the offensive line - you're only as strong as your weakest link. Breeland along with P2 and Mac give us three strong links while our young guys get more experience

#Skol

• Like 1

Breeland is the most impressive signing outside of Peterson but looking at it all, pretty nuts how many corners the Vikings brought in this offseason.

Patrick Peterson
Mac Alexander
Cam Bynum (drafted position change possibly to safety)
Parry Nickerson
Tye Smith
Bashaud Breeland

Parry Nickerson had some talent coming out of Tulane, has not stuck but is an interesting signing, and who knows with Tye Smith.  Still that many new corners, does not say much for the rookies I guess in Dantzler and Gladney who recently posted then deleted on his insta he is innocent.  Not a great sign of having two young corners and they bring this many new guys into the corner position the following year.  Either way better to have more than less, and Nickerson and Tye Smith are probably out but all the rest will absolutely make the roster.  And they also have Harrison Hand as a younger corner but he might move to safety also and Kris Boyd who was good at times before he got hurt last year.  

I like the signing for depth purposes but I really hope he doesnt take snaps away from Dantzler, Dantzler did get banged up fairly often last year so if this is a singing to help reduce the pain if and or when Dantzler gets hurt I like it but I personally dont want him taking valuable snaps/ practice snaps away from the young guys.