Julio Jones traded to Titans for at least a 2nd rounder

TheRealMcCoy

Great trade for Tennessee. That offensive lineup on paper looks like it could be the best in the NFL. Barring injuries, they should be a top 5 offense. This is one of the places I wanted to see Julio Jones go. Either that or the Ravens. 49ers was a pipe dream, so I didn't consider that. Also, glad he's not in the NFC even though the 49ers/Titans play each other this season. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

More like Davis Mills, the best rookie QB in the division...

If I have to hear the cultists on the radio say he would have been a 1st round pick if he went back to college one more time... I expect him to be closer to a Clint Stoerner type of NFL QB, not what Clint Stoerner wishes he would be.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

I think a lot of it depends on the defense. Last year they won 11 games with one of the best offenses in the league but a historically bad franchise defense. People talk about losing Arthur Smith but Vrabel has done very well picking his OCs and a lot of the same principles will still be place on offense. Can the defense get any worse. They lost Adoree, Jenkins, Vaccaro, and Butler. They added Dupree and Autry in FA and drafted Farley and Molden. I’m not a big believer in Vrabel’s scheme but hopefully adding Jim Schwartz as a senior assistant will help big time. Can’t be any worse. They should be the favorites in the AFC South. 

So this just ensures similar offensive production while you hope and pray for a defense?

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

So this just ensures similar offensive production while you hope and pray for a defense?

they completely overhauled the defensive personnel. it's undeniably an upgrade in the front seven. the secondary is a bit murkier but the only player we lost who was even remotely good in 2020 was butler and there's a lot of young talent there. i don't really understand what else you want them to do at this point aside from hope for improvement, lol.

28 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

they completely overhauled the defensive personnel. it's undeniably an upgrade in the front seven. the secondary is a bit murkier but the only player we lost who was even remotely good in 2020 was butler and there's a lot of young talent there. i don't really understand what else you want them to do at this point aside from hope for improvement, lol.

It was a serious question, not facetious. 

18 hours ago, Kirill said:

They're going to get bounced in the playoffs pulling this long con BS. Bills went out and paid premium to get Diggs. Titans are stacked with Julio. And you know KC is ready. Those little boys in Baltimore don't scare us.

Keeping a window open as long as possible / constantly being in competition is a strategy that has served the franchise well. On paper, the 2011 Ravens team was much more of a good bet for SB contention than the 2012. Some bad breaks lost them the AFCCG. More shots on goal, rather than going all in for one season, is what allowed them to win it all in 2012.

16 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

You can get a 3rd round compensatory pick, just to him walk via FA for goodness sakes.

He had three years remaining on his contract, that's not an option available to them.

9 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

I would say you’re hoping for more offensive production (though admittedly tough given how good the offense has been the last two years) and a completely reworked defense that can maybe find it’s way to being in the 14-20 range instead of the 25-32 range.

On paper, the offense is just better in 2021 than it was in 2020. Losing Jonnu hurt, but in reality, you’re not necessarily replacing a lot of production from him since he was relegated to in-line blocker for 3/4 of the season because of how bad the tackle play way.

Getting Lewan back and replacing Kelly at RT with a high draft pick should open things up. And now you have Julio and Josh Reynolds as WR2/3 compared to Corey Davis and a combination of injured Adam Humphries and 5’7 Khalif Raymond.

There’s no longer an ability to shift coverage to AJ’s side, bring a safety down into the box, and really slow the offense down. Which is basically what happened the last two playoff losses once non-AJ receivers couldn’t get any separation when left on an island.

If I was a team with a young QB that could have used a vet #1 WR for a year or two I'd be hitting myself losing out on JJ for this price. Even if he'd have lost a bit of his explosiveness he could still be an elite possession receiver that could help greatly in the confidence and development of a younger QB. The odds of finding a bigger impact player with a 2nd and 4th round pick aren't that great, just that it might hurt your depth on the long run a little.

Good luck to Julio. Curious to see him in a new offense with a different QB.

I'm also curious to see how the Titans will stack up this year. I think losing Smith will hurt them more then the additions made.

44 minutes ago, DutchFalcon said:

I think losing Smith will hurt them more then the additions made.

Arthur Smith is a good offensive coordinator, but after kind of reading some Falcons things lately, I’m a little worried about what the expectations for him are. His offense isn’t complex or innovative. The route concepts in general are fine, but also frequently drove Titans fans crazy in their simplicity.

The results speak for themselves, he knows what he’s doing. But it’s not an overly difficult system to replicate as long as the personnel is the same. I’m more worried about what he’s going to do without Henry to lean on with a 50/50 run:pass ratio and a heavy PA scheme.

Though I’m also interested to see what Arthur looks like in Atlanta in general. I’m not going to be surprised if it’s a very different looking offense than what he ran in Tennessee, because I think Vrabel has a lot more influence on the offensive scheme here than most realize. 

23 hours ago, Nex_Gen said:

Hard to believe the Patriots couldn't offer this when they gave a 2nd for Mo freaking Sanu just 1.5 seasons ago..

38 million is a lot of reasons not to give a second rounder.

20 hours ago, biggie. said:

ATL got ripped off, but that's what bad teams do.

And it's not crazy to suggest Tannehill is on par with Mahomes. I personally think he's been slightly better. The only reason people call it crazy because of NFL propaganda and State Farm commercials. Tannehill been the more efficient passer  the past two seasons since he became the starter.

The addition of Julio absolutely makes TEN a SB contender.

They didn’t get ripped off. They got as good of a deal as they could since the the Titans were the only team to meet their demands.