Titans to trade for Julio Jones (Revisited-12/20/21)

Titans fan 617

I will say that this should probably be the end of the pushing money to the future plan for this offseason. Not that I generally fear the salary cap, but things could get a little dicey for 2022. Tannehill was always the big one we had loaded up and ready to go, it would probably take a pretty special circumstance to do any more restructures.

2023 and beyond should be just fine with major cap increases. 2022 could still be rough.

55 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I will say that this should probably be the end of the pushing money to the future plan for this offseason.

Having lived through the great SB runs 20 years ago and the cap purges that followed, I have mixed feelings.  When you're close (and we are close now) to a title, I don't want "fiscal responsibility" being the reason we don't finally win a Lombardi.  I say go all in!  But there does come a time to pay the piper.  Are we going to be fine when we need to let a key piece walk away in FA because we can't afford the going rate?  There was a lot of hyperventilating over letting CD and Jonnu walk away and I don't even consider them "key pieces".  We will be ok with that future if this move leads to a SB.  Just keep in mind that the restructure - especially if this becomes a trend - is going to have some effect in future years.

1 hour ago, titans0021 said:

The exact same that we had before the Tannehill restructure essentially. After the Kevin Johnson retirement I think it was around $5 million.

If we are going after Ingram for a 1 year deal I think we can still bet him 

Anyone think someone else restructures?

19 minutes ago, Titans fan 617 said:

If we are going after Ingram for a 1 year deal I think we can still bet him 

Anyone think someone else restructures?

As mentioned above, we do anymore restructuring and things begin getting dicey for 2022 and beyond.

I do think we could extend a guy like Ben Jones and that’d free up some cap space if we want or need it.

2 hours ago, Airness McNairness said:

wonder how much of that 6 million will be alloted to the rest of the rookie pool plus the two new veteran DT's we just signed? Jrob normally likes to keep some cap just in case there are injuries during the pre season/season (kenny vaccaro in 2018).

Only got Molden, Rice and Weaver left to sign from the class, so shouldn't take up too much of it at all.

2 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Only got Molden, Rice and Weaver left to sign from the class, so shouldn't take up too much of it at all.

Yeah, especially since it’s just a top 51 number and mid-round picks really don’t have a Year 1 cap hit that’s much more than the minimum.