Titans to trade for Julio Jones (Revisited-12/20/21)

Titans fan 617

6 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

i just heard Adam Caplan on the radio say Julio has been on the market since early March at the latest and the Titans were in on him from the jump. 

that's very interesting. can't help but think it influenced the draft, then- although still quite a risky strategy the way we played it

1 minute ago, -Hope- said:

that's very interesting. can't help but think it influenced the draft, then- although still quite a risky strategy the way we played it

I combine that with the comments of Robinson saying teams have been calling him about players on their roster. So he knew he could get someone, just a matter of who.

I see that other teams see our holes and say "Hey, I see you need a WR since you lost Corey, you want ____ for an 4th? "  

I'm certain he would have traded for someone. Julio was just the best available that we know about 

Just now, -Hope- said:

I always felt like we had a deal in place from the jump.. the way we drafted was bizarre the way we were letting WRs pass us.. I think we had a verbal agreement and been working on minor details since then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KingTitan said:

i also think we nee to finally admit we have a GM that will make these moves. For so long, we felt this wasn't a "Titan's" type move. But Robinson will go for it and I respect and like it. 

Also there is always a plan. 

i just heard Adam Caplan on the radio say Julio has been on the market since early March at the latest and the Titans were in on him from the jump. 

I think we saw with Clowney last year and now Julio this year, Robinson believes in his ability to get in on those type guys. 
Will it work out? Who knows. lol
But at least for me, he has earned the right to not jump at FAs or in the draft, and I'll believe he has a plan for later. 

Not sure where the doubt in Robinson's ability to go get or to retain people comes from. Ever since he's been here he's made all sorts of trades(draft trade with LA, trade for Murray, trade for King, etc), made multiple big free agent signings(Dupree, Saffold, Clowney, Butler, etc), given huge deals to keep key players(Lewan, Henry, Tannehill, etc).

I think this fan base just likes to complain just for the sake of complaining sometimes.

This offense is gonna be so fun man. Are you gonna stack the box to try and slow down Henry while giving Julio and Brown 1 on 1’s? Or are you gonna try to take Julio and Brown away while giving Henry a light box which he’s proven to wear down and gash?

I think ultimately I would still gear up to try and stop Henry because stopping him means the play action is neutralized which is the bread and butter of our passing attack. 

One thing I’ve learned throughout all of this is that Falcons fans have ridiculous expectations for Arthur Smith. The amount of them that are convinced that Tannehill and Henry are nothing more than products of Arthur and that were lost without him is incredible.

8 hours ago, -Hope- said:

this is basically the hypothesis that the rams live by, tbh. trade all your picks for established players....and it seems like it's worked okay but not exceptionally for them.

The problem is they get expensive and it hurts depth. A give and take.

love how this kind of gives us great depth and an insurance policy on offense... GOD forbid Henry goes down and we have to become a pass first team, well we've got the weapons for that.. GOD forbid tanny goes down, well our back up qb, whomever that may be comes into a situation with great offensive weapons to succeed, and GOD forbid, if one of the WR's goes down, we have incredible depth there now...

• The Titans’ initial offer was a 3 that could become a 2, and the 2022 second-round pick (without conditions) had been on the table for a bit. Atlanta wanting a sweetener was what needed to be sorted out, and the Titans securing a ’23 pick swap, rather than giving up, say, a 5 or a 6, means the Titans are down just one more pick in ’22 (they had already dealt their seventh), and come out even (with one pick devalued by two rounds) next year, and won’t lose a second player in the process. That made the idea of adding to the 2 more palatable for Tennessee.