What are the greatest almost comebacks in NFL history?

TecmoSuperJoe

Help me out. I'm trying to think of what would have been iconic comebacks had a team that was on the precipice of orchestrating one, sealed the deal. One that immedately comes to mind as a 49ers fan is Super Bowl 47 of course. Ravens led 28-6 after the opening kickoff in the 2nd half, and the 49ers had a chance to take the lead when the score was 34-29. Up to that point, it would have been the greatest comeback in Super Bowl history. Also, the 1983 NFC Championship.

Others I'm thinking of:

2000 NFC Wild Card Rams at Saints: Down 31-7 with a little over 11 minutes to go the Rams roared back scoring three touchdowns, and had a chance to actually go down the field to at least tie the game with a field goal if their PR doesn't fumble the ball. 

1987 Week 3 Cardinals at Chargers: Cardinals were down 28-0, and almost completed the biggest road comeback in NFL history. If it wasn't a for a dropped pass to the runningback heading to the endzone, they would have won with no time for the Chargers to mount a comeback. 

2012 Week 15 49ers at Patriots: Patriots came back to tie the game 31-31, after being down 31-3. But eventually they lost 41-34. Before Super Bowl 51, I'm thinking that would have been Tom Brady's nuttiest comeback win. 

Help me add to this list. This is the kind of irrelevant stuff I think of when I'm doing some trivial task. Helps the time go by. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 4

Not the biggest point spread, but given all of the circumstances, Washington being within yards of tying up with Tampa Bay in the playoffs last year. 18-7 at halftime against the anointed destiny team while playing with a QB that wasn't on the roster a few weeks earlier is pretty impressive and probably wasn't talked about enough. 

• Like 1

this one sticks out in my mind, not because of how big a comeback the Bears almost mounted (the biggest deficit was by 14) but the fact that this was a game the Pats seemingly had in the bag, but the combination of Mitch Trubisky and Kevin White somehow came within a yard of tying it.

If White had gotten in the end zone and the Bears proceeded to win that game, they'd have gotten the #1 seed in the NFC that year, I believe. And who knows how different the playoffs would've looked in that case?

Edited by Starless

Rams Bills just this year.

We were down 28-3 and scored 29 points in about 15 minutes of game time to take the lead.

So it will probably be unusual on this list because the Rams actually took the lead. And not only that - but they had an 83% chance to win twice when the Bills had 3rd and 25 - and ultimately a DPI call on the Rams, a 50/50 call that went the Bills way, would have ended the game in a win for the Rams because it was 4th down with little time remaining.

• Like 4

It may or may not count for this, but the Chiefs/Rams MNF game in 2019. Chiefs did take the lead with 2:47 to go, but gave it up about a minute later. It felt like they would score again though but never did.

Even though the Chiefs lost, I still think it's one of, if not THE greatest game of all time. Still sad we didn't get a Super Bowl rematch.

Easy question. Dolphins-Chargers playoff game 1982. Possibly the most exciting NFL game of all time. 

Dolphins down 24-0 and manage to take the lead before losing in OT. I still don't think I've recovered from that game. Neither did Kellen Winslow. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

It may or may not count for this, but the Chiefs/Rams MNF game in 2019. Chiefs did take the lead with 2:47 to go, but gave it up about a minute later. It felt like they would score again though but never did.

Even though the Chiefs lost, I still think it's one of, if not THE greatest game of all time. Still sad we didn't get a Super Bowl rematch.

Have you seen the 1983 game between the Packers/Redskins? It's just as good, and I go back and forth as to whether it's best MNF game of all time. That game legit came down to the final 3 seconds. Only thing that sucks is OJ is in the booth on that one. 

11 minutes ago, FinSting said:

Easy question. Dolphins-Chargers playoff game 1982. Possibly the most exciting NFL game of all time. 

Dolphins down 24-0 and manage to take the lead before losing in OT. I still don't think I've recovered from that game. Neither did Kellen Winslow. 

Oh yeah of course. I can't believe I didn't think of that. That's considered a top 10 game of all time. 

• Like 1

Rodgers vs Warner in the 2009 Playoffs

31-10 Arizona in the 3rd quarter turned into a Packers OT loss on a controversial no call for roughing the passer.

That Packers OT drive was kind of nuts:

• 1st down: Jennings gets open deep and Rodgers just barely misses him.
  • 2nd down: Missed hit to the head on Rodgers. (holding penalty on GB)
  • 3rd down: Missed hands to the face on Rodgers on the fumble.

• Like 2

The 2008 Cardinals were up 24-6 at halftime in the NFCCG.

The Eagles led 25-24 in the 4th

The Cardinals drove for a TD. The Eagles go to midfield with 2:07 to play then McNabb went 0-4 on the last 4 throws.

• The 4th down play was a blatant tackle of Kevin Curtis before the ball got there (former Eagle Rod Hood)
Edited by SkippyX

The Titans-Rams Super Bowl in 2000.  Greatest Show on Turf goes up by 16, then the Titans start coming back, of course ending 23-16 with the most infamous play in Titans history.  Kevin Dyson, one yard short.

5-super-bowl-xxxiv-2000-rams-23-titans-1

• Like 5

11 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Oh yeah of course. I can't believe I didn't think of that. That's considered a top 10 game of all time. 

The momentum swings in that playoff game were mind-boggling incredible:

-- Chargers could do no wrong in the 1st quarter, racing to a 24-0 lead at the Orange Bowl.

-- Fins scored a TD and FG to cut to 24-10 by 2nd quarter, but only 6 seconds left before halftime and they are out of FG range so Fins called an INCREDIBLE hook-and-ladder play that actually worked to cut the lead to 24-17 at halftime and the blowout game is now a proper game again. I almost hit the ceiling as I jumped outta my chair

-- Back and forth in 2nd half til Fins are up 38-31 and sitting pretty

-- Fins driving and about to ice the game and go up by double digits late til RB Andra Franklin fumbled on the Chargers 18-yd line doh

-- Dan Fouts went to work then throws a desperation pass with 58 seconds left that overthrows his intended target but luckily there is another Chargers player behind who catches the TD pass anyway, tied at 38-38. Sort of another Sea of Hands moment 

-- Don Strock tries to drive for a winning FG but has pass intercepted...then Chargers defender fumbles the ball back to Miami. You have got to be kidding me. 

-- Strock again drives but Miami misses a game-winning FG after TE Winslow gets his fingers on the ball and it doesn't travel the full 43 yds for the FG. Off to OT we go

-- Chargers win coin toss, drive to Miami's 10-yd line...and miss the short FG

-- Strock again drives Fins down for the game-winning FG...again it's blocked. STOP IT, CHARGERS

-- Fouts back down the field, finally the Chargers hit the FG and game is over with most of the players prolly losing 15 lbs of water weight in the extended game. Winslow had to be half-carried off the field, what a performance

Best game I ever watched. 

---

"I was downfield, blocking for one of our receivers," Winslow remembered the other day. "A Miami cornerback was next to me. I can see him to this day, but I can't remember who it was. Anyway, the play was over and he and I were standing beside each other. Actually, we were leaning against each other, holding each other up. I looked at him. He looked at me. 'You go this way, I'll go that way,' I said. And, finally, we slid off each other."

----

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Daniel said:

The Titans-Rams Super Bowl in 2000.  Greatest Show on Turf goes up by 16, then the Titans start coming back, of course ending 23-16 with the most infamous play in Titans history.  Kevin Dyson, one yard short.

5-super-bowl-xxxiv-2000-rams-23-titans-1

scrolled way too far to get to this.. 

It's not the NFL, but google Plano East vs John Tyler. HS football championship for the most epic comeback attempt I've ever seen.

Bonus points for meme worthy Texas HS football commentators