What are the greatest almost comebacks in NFL history?

TecmoSuperJoe

Hard define "comeback". The 2011 Saints versus 49ers game was definitely among the greatest games I've ever seen. The 49ers pulled out to a quick early lead. Brees pulled an incredible late 4th quarter comeback and hit Jimmy Graham who went beast mode on everyone for TD. Then the Saints defense pooped themselves and let the 49ers run the field and score at the last minute. That game should have been one of those legendary games for both Brees and Graham...and it just wasn't meant to be. Graham was a beast in his prime.

Edited by sammymvpknight

The Odell Beckham spearing incident game almost had an amazing comeback. The 13-0 Panthers were up 35-7, the Giants came back to tie it. They left time on the clock for MVP Cam to ultimately get them into field goal range for a 38-35 win. Odell did catch the tying touchdown in a game he should not have been allowed to continue playing in.

10 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

Came in to post this one. Remember it well. NE had some awful luck to go behind by so much, including a pick six on a fumbled screen pass if I recall. The Pats forced about half a dozen fumbles but could only recover 1, and 1 was recovered for an offensive TD. Crazy game. But by the time it got to 31-31 I was pretty sure they had the momentum and the win...and then the defense blew it. Heartbreaker, which cost them the 1 seed that year.

It also featured the last TD Randy Moss ever scored. Bittersweet moment. 

Panthers/Seahawks in the 2015 divisional comes to mind. Panthers were up 31-0 at halftime but ended needing to fall on an onside kick with a minute left after Russ had brought it back to 31-24.

Also if not for the Cards D/Santonio Holmes, the Cards/Steelers Super Bowl would be remembered for Larry Fitzgerald putting together an all-time great performance and pretty much singlehandedly leading a legendary 4th quarter comeback. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Panthers/Seahawks in the 2015 divisional comes to mind. Panthers were up 31-0 at halftime but ended needing to fall on an onside kick with a minute left after Russ had brought it back to 31-24.

Also if not for the Cards D/Santonio Holmes, the Cards/Steelers Super Bowl would be remembered for Larry Fitzgerald putting together an all-time great performance and pretty much singlehandedly leading a legendary 4th quarter comeback. 

Man I felt bad for Fitz when they showed his reaction to Holmes TD reception.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Blackstar12 said:

Man I felt bad for Fitz when they showed his reaction to Holmes TD reception.

I think everyone who wasn't a Steelers fan felt bad for Fitz that day. Arguably the most epic performance I've ever seen from a WR... Hell, I think even Steelers' fans felt bad for the Pitt alum...

• Like 1

The Dolphin example earlier in this thread is not even the most interesting one in franchise history. Not even close. Late season 1973 the defending champion and 11-1 Dolphins led a young but incredibly talented Steeler team 30-3 at halftime. This was in the Orange Bowl where the glory year Dolphins were invincible, in fact still building the 31 game home winning streak that still stands as the NFL record. 

It can be argued that the first half of that Monday Night showcase game against Pittsburgh was the most dominant stretch the glory year Dolphins ever had during the back to back championship seasons of 1972 and 1973. D*ck Anderson had 3 interceptions in the first half including one returned for a touchdown. That game propelled Anderson to national name recognition and NFL Defensive Player of the Year honors.

But the unthinkable nearly happened. Terry Bradshaw was injured and did not start the game. Joe Gilliam was responsible for three early interceptions. But Gilliam was yanked and Bradshaw entered the game. He struggled with interceptions also but eventually sparked the Pittsburgh offense. Amazing change of fortunes from play to play. Miami played lethargic in the second half and the Steelers took full control of the flow of play, steadily believing they could actually pull this out. The score reached 30-24 with a couple of minutes remaining. The Orange Bowl crowd was silent and stunned, especially as a key Miami possession went nowhere and was throttled deep in Dolphin territory. Pittsburgh was going to get the ball back with plenty of time and likely in great field position while down only 6.

Then Shula kept the offense on the field on 4th down. Cosell, Meredith and Gifford were beyond shocked. The entire nation was incredulous at Miami's apparent masochistic decision. There was a lengthy time out as the Monday Night Crew tried to rationalize what was going on.

But instead of trying for the first down, Griese backpedalled and wasted a little bit of time before backing out of the end zone. Intentional safety. This tactic is well known now but not nearly so much in 1973. Cosell exclaimed in the booth that Shula is smarter than us all. This play became massive water cooler conversation around the country the following day. It was actually safety Jake Scott who suggested the tactic to Shula on the sideline.

Larry Seiple boomed the free kick incredibly deep down the right sideline. It was mishandled. The Steelers had terrible field position and the Orange Bowl crowd had new life. Miami suffocated Pittsburgh's final drive and held on, 30-26.

The 1981 Miami/San Diego playoff matchup is the most overrated NFL game of all time. Two slob teams that were incredibly vulnerable. In many ways it was an insulting game. As a Dolphin fan I basically stopped caring who ended up on top, because either team was guaranteed to be toyed with the following week. 

Contrast to that 1973 Monday Night game. Check those rosters. One Hall of Famer after another. Those two teams combined to win all four Super Bowls between 1972 and 1975. The caliber of the two teams was light years superior to that 1981 season garbage.

Edited by Awsi Dooger