Mandatory Minicamp

turtle28

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/notes-washingtons-first-minicamp-antonio-gibson-looks-himself-again

• “Antonio Gibson rattled some outsiders — especially those in the fantasy football community — by telling reporters last week that the toe injury that held him back at the end of the 2020 season is "definitely something to monitor" and that he'll need to stay up on his treatment so "nothing goes south." Now, in fairness, he also said that he was fine multiple times in the same answer, but those portions didn't attract the same attention as the quote's other pieces. After watching him on Tuesday, however, anyone who's overly concerned about his health can relax for now. A running back's exploits in terms of yardage gained absolutely shouldn't be given much weight in June, but how bouncy and quick they look matters — and Gibson had his bounce and quickness back. 

• If those stressed about Gibson's foot want to turn their sights to someone else to angst over, Curtis Samuel can be that guy. Samuel missed the last get-together at OTAs because of a groin issue, but he was at least seen exercising on the side field where dinged-up players hang out. On Tuesday, though, Samuel wasn't around at all. Rivera didn't seem all that concerned when chatting with the media, which is probably the correct stance to take; the opener is still three months away, after all. Even so, it's not ideal to be building an offensive foundation without No. 10 in the mix. 

• Like Samuel, Jon Bostic and Jimmy Moreland weren't at the facility Tuesday, but those two had excused absences, per Rivera.

• Ryan Fitzpatrick's been picked off a few times in his brief summer career with the Burgundy and Gold, but his latest interception was especially bad. In the opening 9-on-9 segment, Fitzpatrick dropped back, scooted left in the pocket and then threw one over the middle without having his feet set at all. Not surprisingly, the ball sailed on him and William Jackson III was more than happy to snag it for the defense. It was... not pretty. For the offense anyway. It is worth adding that Fitzpatrick came back in a later 11-on-11 period and went 5-for-5, with completions to Steven Sims, Terry McLaurin, Gibson, Temarrick Hemingway and DeAndre Carter. 

• WJ3 wasn't done after that turnover. Close to the conclusion of practice, he was matched up with Antonio Gandy-Golden down near the goal line in a one-on-one scenario. That's a matchup that's more than favorable for the corner, but Fitzpatrick tried to hit AGG anyway. The second-year wideout couldn't find an inch of daylight, and the pass fell harmlessly to the ground.

• Taylor Heinicke is awfully creative when things break down, and he reminded those in attendance of that on Wednesday when he leapt up to snare a high snap, bobbled it yet still got rid of it to keep a screen on schedule. It was a sequence that easily could've ended in a huge loss without his athleticism and improvisation. That matters as a QB.”

Gibby says “he’s fine” Peter Hailey said Gibby appears to have his bounce and quickness back but it’s certainly something to monitor.

Heinicke looking better than Fitz @ QB, I love what I’m reading!

William Jackson looking good, gotta love it!

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/notes-washingtons-first-minicamp-antonio-gibson-looks-himself-again

• “Antonio Gibson rattled some outsiders — especially those in the fantasy football community — by telling reporters last week that the toe injury that held him back at the end of the 2020 season is "definitely something to monitor" and that he'll need to stay up on his treatment so "nothing goes south." Now, in fairness, he also said that he was fine multiple times in the same answer, but those portions didn't attract the same attention as the quote's other pieces. After watching him on Tuesday, however, anyone who's overly concerned about his health can relax for now. A running back's exploits in terms of yardage gained absolutely shouldn't be given much weight in June, but how bouncy and quick they look matters — and Gibson had his bounce and quickness back. 

• If those stressed about Gibson's foot want to turn their sights to someone else to angst over, Curtis Samuel can be that guy. Samuel missed the last get-together at OTAs because of a groin issue, but he was at least seen exercising on the side field where dinged-up players hang out. On Tuesday, though, Samuel wasn't around at all. Rivera didn't seem all that concerned when chatting with the media, which is probably the correct stance to take; the opener is still three months away, after all. Even so, it's not ideal to be building an offensive foundation without No. 10 in the mix. 

• Like Samuel, Jon Bostic and Jimmy Moreland weren't at the facility Tuesday, but those two had excused absences, per Rivera.

• Ryan Fitzpatrick's been picked off a few times in his brief summer career with the Burgundy and Gold, but his latest interception was especially bad. In the opening 9-on-9 segment, Fitzpatrick dropped back, scooted left in the pocket and then threw one over the middle without having his feet set at all. Not surprisingly, the ball sailed on him and William Jackson III was more than happy to snag it for the defense. It was... not pretty. For the offense anyway. It is worth adding that Fitzpatrick came back in a later 11-on-11 period and went 5-for-5, with completions to Steven Sims, Terry McLaurin, Gibson, Temarrick Hemingway and DeAndre Carter. 

• WJ3 wasn't done after that turnover. Close to the conclusion of practice, he was matched up with Antonio Gandy-Golden down near the goal line in a one-on-one scenario. That's a matchup that's more than favorable for the corner, but Fitzpatrick tried to hit AGG anyway. The second-year wideout couldn't find an inch of daylight, and the pass fell harmlessly to the ground.

• Taylor Heinicke is awfully creative when things break down, and he reminded those in attendance of that on Wednesday when he leapt up to snare a high snap, bobbled it yet still got rid of it to keep a screen on schedule. It was a sequence that easily could've ended in a huge loss without his athleticism and improvisation. That matters as a QB.”

Gibby says “he’s fine” Peter Hailey said Gibby appears to have his bounce and quickness back but it’s certainly something to monitor.

Heinicke looking better than Fitz @ QB, I love what I’m reading!

William Jackson looking good, gotta love it!

I’m not counting Taylor out. He may not start week one. But you can see the results of this offseason. He worked his tail off. I do believe it’s Fitz job to lose. We’re talking about Fitz he may well just lose it by week 6. I think Taylor is going to push this staff this year. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Stoman- has that kid ever been healthy !?

Only for preseason & like half of his rookie season. If he can stay healthy he’s definitely a good #4 or 5 corner but he hasn’t been able to stay healthy.

54 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

I hope R R doesn't just hand ot over to Fitz like he did with Haskins . Just because of the money/ contract obligation . May the best man win ! Fairly and squarely .

He said he wasn’t going to do that again, but I guess we’ll see. 

31 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

He said he wasn’t going to do that again, but I guess we’ll see. 

I think if Fitz has a rough preseason say week 2 if that’s the new dress rehearsal and Taylor balls out and looks better in camp all bets are off. Weight isn’t everything but if a guy puts in that type of work in the offseason and the team thinks he’s the better player I believe the staff will think long and hard about week one. And even if he doesn’t start week one I believe Fitz could be on a snap count to prove he’s the guy and may have a short leash if he doesn’t run with the job.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I think if Fitz has a rough preseason say week 2 if that’s the new dress rehearsal and Taylor balls out and looks better in camp all bets are off. Weight isn’t everything but if a guy puts in that type of work in the offseason and the team thinks he’s the better player I believe the staff will think long and hard about week one. And even if he doesn’t start week one I believe Fitz could be on a snap count to prove he’s the guy and may have a short leash if he doesn’t run with the job.

6 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I feel like Taylor and his mobility and just his instincts make him the best fit. He can move and that’s something defense’s have to account for. He can sling it. Glad to see Golden doing his work. Def a player I thought would come ready this season with a normal offseason.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ripsean21 said:

I feel like Taylor and his mobility and just his instincts make him the best fit. He can move and that’s something defense’s have to account for. He can sling it. Glad to see Golden doing his work. Def a player I thought would come ready this season with a normal offseason.

Yeah, I feel the same. I want to see if Taylor can be the guy. He’s getting a chance “so Rivera says” and I hope he wins the job.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, I feel the same. I want to see if Taylor can be the guy. He’s getting a chance “so Rivera says” and I hope he wins the job.

I just hope if he doesn’t the coaching staff can admit Taylor is worth a look if Fitz looks more tragic then magic the first few weeks because our schedule within the division gives up that opportunity.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, turtle28 said:

This was my concern watching his workout videos last year after the draft. The ones I’ve seen this offseason are more predicated on building then tearing. Weights are of course important for these guys but they tear you down. But last year he was going hard because he’s a freak. This offseason he seems to be doing more resistance and moving which is going to help him stay healthier IMO. The workout warriors always seem to break. The guys who work on simulating motions are the ones who really flash improvement in health. So hopefully we get 99 at 100 this year. Because I think there’s no doubt that he and Sweat healthy with that into or rotation can’t damn near double their totals.