Aaron Rodgers officially begins holdout by skipping Packers mandatory mini-camp

TheKillerNacho

NOTE: The previous thread on this subject descend into madness. I think enough time as passed to open up a new thread as this is fairly big news and Aaron is now officially a hold out. Keep this thread FOOTBALL-RELATED, people. Thanks.

https://sports.yahoo.com/aaron-rodgers-is-a-holdout-for-the-packers-140542157.html

This is the first time in his 16 year career he's skipped any mandatory team activity... While the Packers said earlier this week that they expect Rodgers to play, it seems more and more that he's genuinely not interested. If the hold out continues.

• Like 3

Say he shows up just before the season begins so he doesn't lose a ton of money, is there a penalty against malingering? He's a professional, so I don't think he'd do that, but it is an interesting thought, if he were to be that petty. 

What would be ultimate point of sitting out until late in camp and then showing up without any other change?

Seems whole exercise would have been a complete waste of time akin to a 2 year throwing a tantrum.

It would have accomplished nothing.

He needs to either keep sitting, get a new contract or get traded.   Anything short of that is a big "L" for Rodgers now.  

Of course forcing Rodgers to sit and do nothing is an L for team too as they passed on a draft haul.   That too is just an exercise in pride.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sledgehammer said:

Good on him. I love it. 

I think Rodgers is a narcissistic d-bag, but I'm loving seeing him punish the GB front office. 

Except GB front office is certainly thrilled to have Jordan Love getting these valuable reps without the distraction that is Aaron Rodgers in town. 

• Like 1

Peter King suggested the best compromise for both sides is to play out the 2021-22 season with a promise of trading him next offseason. Allows for them to take one last shot with Rodgers, get an additional year to groom Love, and Rodgers gets a guarantee that he's out. 

Not sure how likely that is considering Rodgers perceived stance on never playing for them again. Gutekunst appears to have really screwed this up. 

12 minutes ago, malak1 said:

Say he shows up just before the season begins so he doesn't lose a ton of money, is there a penalty against malingering? He's a professional, so I don't think he'd do that, but it is an interesting thought, if he were to be that petty. 

If he misses day 1 of training camp, he loses an accrued season and millions of dollars. He will show up day 1 of TC.

20 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

If he misses day 1 of training camp, he loses an accrued season and millions of dollars. He will show up day 1 of TC.

That's not true. An accrued year is at least 6 regular season games or time spent on injury lists. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Except GB front office is certainly thrilled to have Jordan Love getting these valuable reps without the distraction that is Aaron Rodgers in town. 

Jordan Love isn’t ready and you know it. And I’m a big Love fan. If Love plays this year it could hurt him in the long run. Plus Rodgers is coming off a Top 5 season in the sport’s history. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

Peter King suggested the best compromise for both sides is to play out the 2021-22 season with a promise of trading him next offseason. Allows for them to take one last shot with Rodgers, get an additional year to groom Love, and Rodgers gets a guarantee that he's out. 

Not sure how likely that is considering Rodgers perceived stance on never playing for them again. Gutekunst appears to have really screwed this up. 

I think that solution would be best for both, but I certainly understand Rodgers wanting out. Green Bay solves issues at an extremely slow rate. Took forever just to fire McCarthy.