Aaron Rodgers officially begins holdout by skipping Packers mandatory mini-camp

TheKillerNacho

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Rodgers is not stupid enough to give away $100+ million because he feels somehow "disrespected". He's a premier competitive athlete. 

What lala land are some of you living in where you think a world class elite athlete would intentionally choose to:

(1) Never again do the thing he's the best in the world at while in his prime

(2) Give away over $100 million

Like seriously people, c'mon lol. You must see how ridiculous that take is...

He's a world class athlete, but a lot of people think he's a world class jerk in some ways too. 

7 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

He's a world class athlete, but a lot of people think he's a world class jerk in some ways too. 

Rodgers is a world class athlete?

Some world class athletes might take umbrage with that comment.

I honestly think he is a big enough selfish narcissist to actually sit the season out. 

That being said, I would love my team to trade multiple assets for said selfish narcissist. Its football, not the guy your daughter brings home. The rules are different.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

It's not the return that you handled incorrectly, it's that GB makes their QB's hate them for how they're treated. Like, how do you not see this? Favre literally retired and came out so he could play FOR THE VIKINGS....

I don't blame him for that.  They ran an offense that he knew very well and, as he said, that Vikings team was the most talented team he had ever played for.  It was a perfect situation for him.  The fact that he also got the chance to school his old team two more times was just a bonus. 

6 hours ago, ET80 said:

I see this completely opposite - the principle of caving in to a FO he's as odds with is the worst thing he could do. But, that's something he'd have to answer.

He watched his predecessor go and play for a division rival - that was eventually forgiven. Sure, it's a heel turn to GB, but the NFL is a big world - and two of his contemporaries in Manning and Brady are pretty much in the clear with Indianapolis and New England, even after winning SBs on other teams. 

Forgiveness is all but certain, it'll just take time.

In fairness, Payton and Tom gave everything to their first team, and only left due to injury/contract expiring. They never bad mouthed their old team or had any acrimony at all.

That said, you’re right, no matter how this ends Rodgers will be loved in GB 10 years from now. The intervening time is another matter. This is more a TO/AB situation than anything else. In that, the fan sentiment will be with the team, not the player or his largely imagined slights.

• Like 1

If he does sit the season out, he's more stubborn than I thought. I wouldn't able to sit the season out if I had just won MVP and the team got close to the Superbowl.

GB weren't far off being the best team and winning it all, how is he going to waste another year in his twilight period knowing his team are really good and have a great chance of SB?

9 hours ago, incognito_man said:

It's always about the money. Especially when it's literally hundreds of millions of potential lost money...

There is absolutely no way Rodgers could recoup any significant fraction of lost NFL MVP money for half a decade. 

I definitely agree it's about more than JUST the money. But, by itself, that kind of money is all that matters for this "decision" he will make. He is not turning down that money.

The money keeps growing and growing. Its not just his salary ($15m). Not his salary plus certain bonus' (~$30m). Not those two plus the hypothetical payback ($50m). You then went to $100m. Now its "$100's of millions". Next you'll claim billions, trillions and then all the money on Earth.

And obviously there is no way to mitigate even some of that through another job, right?

8 hours ago, Forge said:

I really just need him to be traded to Washington already so that Ace is right

You are still a bully I see.

Edited by Matts4313
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Lol

Yeah, I'm definitely not the one with their head buried here...

You go ahead and believe GB doesn't have literally all the leverage in this situation with that $50 million hit they know Rodgers is staring at...

I agree Green Bay has all the leverage, but I don't think it's smart to hang onto him versus getting compensation.  I said the same thing about the Texans/Watson situation.  In my opinion, and maybe you disagree, but the Packers aren't winning a Super Bowl if Rodgers isn't all-in.  And I think it is clear that even if he shows up, he isn't going to be all that excited about playing and we've seen a demotivated Rodgers before.  I really don't understand why they don't just trade him to the highest bidder.  I could get it if Rodgers was younger and you had years and years to make things right, but that isn't the case here.  Especially considering they have a 1st round pick behind him, they would be smart to end the relationship.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I agree Green Bay has all the leverage, but I don't think it's smart to hang onto him versus getting compensation.  I said the same thing about the Texans/Watson situation.  In my opinion, and maybe you disagree, but the Packers aren't winning a Super Bowl if Rodgers isn't all-in.  And I think it is clear that even if he shows up, he isn't going to be all that excited about playing and we've seen a demotivated Rodgers before.  I really don't understand why they don't just trade him to the highest bidder.  I could get it if Rodgers was younger and you had years and years to make things right, but that isn't the case here.  Especially considering they have a 1st round pick behind him, they would be smart to end the relationship.

At this point, I don't think Rodgers is winning another Super Bowl fullstop. Even if he's all in. Guy is ruined in important games now.

I fully agree it's bad business to keep Rodgers moving forward. Unfortunately the plan didn't work to perfection of taking shots at SB with Rodgers in 2020 and 2021 and then moving on. Rodgers decided not to play along this season and hurt his (and GBs) chances by not restructuring.

Unless something wild happens, I believe he will be traded next off-season.

8 hours ago, Forge said:

I really just need him to be traded to Washington already so that Ace is right

I just need him to stay in the NFC tbh. He goes to the AFC and it’s comical how many good QBs there are to deal with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

The money keeps growing and growing. Its not just his salary ($15m). Not his salary plus certain bonus' (~$30m). Not those two plus the hypothetical payback ($50m). You then went to $100m. Now its "$100's of millions". Next you'll claim billions, trillions and then all the money on Earth.

And obviously there is no way to mitigate even some of that through another job, right?

Follow the evidence, dude. He's been clamoring for an extension. He wants to play MORE. He will get paid somewhere else and yeah, at $40mil+ per season now it's pretty easy for him to be looking at more than $100+ million left in future NFL earnings.

Just now, incognito_man said:

Follow the evidence, dude. He's been clamoring for an extension.

The one he turned down from you guys, right?

Just now, incognito_man said:

He wants to play MORE. He will get paid somewhere else and yeah, at $40mil+ per season now it's pretty easy for him to be looking at more than $100+ million left in future NFL earnings.

100 =/= 100's. I was just making fun of your hyperbole. 

Just now, Matts4313 said:

The one he turned down from you guys, right?

100 =/= 100's. I was just making fun of your hyperbole. 

You failed to read. He turned down a restructure because he wants an extension.

And yeah there's no hyperbole. Just simple math. Rodgers could EASILY earn another $200 million in NFL money. He could play another 7 seasons until he reaches Brady's age. He obviously thinks he can keep playing that long. That's less than $30mil per season right as the cap is about to sky rocket in a couple seasons.

Pull your head out of the sand, man.