Aaron Rodgers officially begins holdout by skipping Packers mandatory mini-camp

TheKillerNacho

11 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Is there anything more lame than someone pointing out an obvious opinion on an internet forum as being an opinion

Kinda the point of all of this, isn't it? :)

Note to self, don't try to be funny with @incognito_man, he thinks its lame. 

So we don't get this one locked, and since you aren't in a place to joke about it, I just think it's funny how much you discount the current reporting. You have taken the current narrative, flipped it on its head based on your own biases alone, and come out with a GB positive opinion. I applaud the seamless dismount of your gymnastics routine. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Note to self, don't try to be funny with @incognito_man, he thinks its lame. 

So we don't get this one locked, and since you aren't in a place to joke about it, I just think it's funny how much you discount the current reporting. You have taken the current narrative, flipped it on its head based on your own biases alone, and come out with a GB positive opinion. I applaud the seamless dismount of your gymnastics routine. 

I haven't flipped or discounted anything lol

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I haven't flipped or discounted anything lol

38 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

The latest rumors are simply posturing because he didn't get his way and making things public was his only remaining recourse.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

That is not flipping or discounting anything? It's explaining the motive behind the rumors? Like, it's not hard to understand the situation is fluid right?

you called it simply posturing, that is 100% discounting the current narrative. You are saying it isnt credible because it is just posturing. Also, rumors? Its being reported, these aren't rumors. Further discounting it in your post saying you arent discounting anything. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

you called it simply posturing, that is 100% discounting the current narrative. You are saying it isnt credible because it is just posturing. Also, rumors? Its being reported, these aren't rumors. Further discounting it in your post saying you arent discounting anything. 

It's all rumors unless Aaron says it himself publicly. It is obvious his team wanted to leak info to the media (we know this because the info came out). I'm not discounting or discrediting anything in the media. I 100% believe that those who reported what they reported were told what they were reported. Because that was Aaron's agenda to have it reported and try to put pressure on the team.

Acknowledging what happened is not discounting or discrediting anything. It's simply supplying some context.

If Aaron didn't want to stay in GB why did his agent try to negotiate an extension?

17 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

It's all rumors unless Aaron says it himself publicly. It is obvious his team wanted to leak info to the media (we know this because the info came out). I'm not discounting or discrediting anything in the media. I 100% believe that those who reported what they reported were told what they were reported. Because that was Aaron's agenda to have it reported and try to put pressure on the team.

Acknowledging what happened is not discounting or discrediting anything. It's simply supplying some context.

If Aaron didn't want to stay in GB why did his agent try to negotiate an extension?

I think he is willing to stay in GB if they commit to him with large extension.  He clearly doesn't want to be on any kind of Love replacement timetable.

I think his long term goal was to stay with one team entire career and that hasn't changed. 

That being said I don't think he would be unhappy with a trade.  And I do think he really, really dislikes current FO and feels disrespected by them.  Or that is reason he dislikes them.   

I think he feels like he has been slighted over years with lack of input, felt really slighted by Love pick and was further slighted when they initially flat declined his extension request.   

I also think the assumption that he will cave and come back to camp on status quo rather than eat the money is just speculation.

Actually, I think that is unlikely scenario given his pride.   Otherwise whole exercise will have been akin to a pointless tantrum.

It will take some kind of change to save face and get him in building.

I think GB should have traded him pre-draft for max value and been done with it.   That or just gave him his extension and traded Love.   I think by delaying and 'calling his bluff' they are in worst of all worlds:   

He is holding out and they have nothing in return (other than money).   

Every day they delay lessens his trade value as teams cement their non-Rodgers QB plan and he gets a day older.   

Add to that maybe he gets hurt or sick or whatever (life happens) and his trade value goes down a lot more.   

Houston was holding out on a mega trade and thinking and all of sudden their trade options dropped through the floor.   You never know what will happen and when.

30 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I think he is willing to stay in GB if they commit to him with large extension.  He clearly doesn't want to be on any kind of Love replacement timetable.

I think his long term goal was to stay with one team entire career and that hasn't changed. 

That being said I don't think he would be unhappy with a trade.

Agreed 100%

30 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

And I do think he really, really dislikes current FO and feels disrespected by them.  Or that is reason he dislikes them.   

I think he feels like he has been slighted over years with lack of input, felt really slighted by Love pick and was further slighted when they initially flat declined his extension request. 

Agreed that he feels this way, but think it is 100% unwarranted and he's being a baby about it.

31 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I also think the assumption that he will cave and come back to camp on status quo rather than eat the money is just speculation.

Yes, since it hasn't happened yet it is by definition "speculation". He's already forfeited $500k in a missed offseason workout bonus, might get fined $95k for OTAs, and would lose $50k per TC day he misses. I wouldn't be surprised one bit to see him miss SOME TC time. He's showed a willingness to lose out on SOME money. However, it borders on ridiculousness to suggest that Rodgers might never play again. Because THAT decision will cost him hundreds of millions of dollars and is entirely nonsensical. If he doesn't want to lose that kind of money, he will show up eventually. In the meantime, Jordan Love will continue to provide staff with valuable practice data that will inform the FO about their best option for Rodgers in 2021 (and potentially beyond). It's a win-win for the team to have Rodgers absent right now. He obviously doesn't need the practice.

39 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I think GB should have traded him pre-draft for max value and been done with it.   That or just gave him his extension and traded Love.   I think by delaying and 'calling his bluff' they are in worst of all worlds:   

He is holding out and they have nothing in return (other than money).   

Every day they delay lessens his trade value as teams cement their non-Rodgers QB plan and he gets a day older.   

Add to that maybe he gets hurt or sick or whatever (life happens) and his trade value goes down a lot more.   

I wanted him traded as well, but it's clear what the team plan was: to go all-in w/ Rodgers again in 2021. Every offseason move indicates that was/is the plan since the end of the 2020 season. It's not possible to pivot gracefully at this point with Rodgers acting like a baby. The risk at this point to the team in "calling his (obvious) bluff" is wasting future cap space they already spent in restructuring other player contracts this year to go "all-in" with Rodgers. They are comfortably in the driver's seat on the situation and know with certainty that Rodgers will eventually show up because the alternative is him retiring and obviously won't happen. Thus, right now they are almost certainly taking the approach "Let's see what we have with Love over the next few months. If things look good, we stay on our original plan to trade Rodgers in 2022. If things look bad, we offer Rodgers the guarantees he wants this season." The team can still play this waiting game because Rodgers isn't going anywhere until they want him to.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

The team can still play this waiting game because Rodgers isn't going anywhere until they want him to.

That may be true conventionally thinking.  But by all accounts Rodgers is very stubborn and marches to beat of his own drum.

Ricky Williams  left a lot of money because he wanted to smoke weed and be left alone for a bit.  Lots of guys have left money on table for various reasons.  

Rodgers may lose millions by holding out.  But maybe his pride means more to him.

On a side note, I have been arguing on Bears forum that starter reps are better for QB development and getting a lot of push back because of Rodgers and Mahomes example or model of sitting and watching and ending up good.

You get better in sports with quality practice reps.  No one ever wants to sit and watch if it is them making decision.   I think people are arguing from data correlation rather than causation. 

I get that being forced to start before you are ready can hurt someone mentally due to failure.   But you still don't get better at anything by mostly watching or not at same rate as doing with some example.   Think of any skill where that is true - watching is best way.  You get some value from watching of course, but ultimately you need your own hands on experience to properly gain a skill.      

The Love situation is interesting to me because ostensibly by that logic sitting and watching should have made him really ready to play and all I keep hearing is that he really needs reps.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

On a side note, I have been arguing on Bears forum that starter reps are better for QB development and getting a lot of push back because of Rodgers and Mahomes example or model of sitting and watching and ending up good.

You get better in sports with quality practice reps.  No one ever wants to sit and watch if it is them making decision.   I think people are arguing from data correlation rather than causation. 

I get that being forced to start before you are ready can hurt someone mentally due to failure.   But you still don't get better at anything by mostly watching or not at same rate as doing with some example.   Think of any skill where that is true - watching is best way.  You get some value from watching of course, but ultimately you need your own hands on experience to properly gain a skill.      

The Love situation is interesting to me because ostensibly by that logic sitting and watching should have made him really ready to play and all I keep hearing is that he really needs reps.

Take off the last paragraph and you nailed this comment.
The coaches and FO saying Love needs reps/time is A). Stating the obvious - and - B). Attempting to give him cover to develop. Lots of organizations have said similar things about their rookie QBs - and for all intents and purposes, Love is a rookie. There was no OTA / TC / PS last year and AR dominated what actual practice they had.