Aaron Rodgers officially begins holdout by skipping Packers mandatory mini-camp

TheKillerNacho

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

However, it borders on ridiculousness to suggest that Rodgers might never play again. Because THAT decision will cost him hundreds of millions of dollars and is entirely nonsensical.

So if he pseudo retires as PFF speculates, Love starts the entire year and he comes back in 2022; do you consider that "nonsensical". He wouldnt be giving up "hundreds of millions of dollars" - - but there is also no way GB can go back to him after starting Love for a year. IE: He would force the Packers to trade or cut him. 

Even if he only "retired" until the week before the trade deadline, it would be pretty crippling to GB. 

Edited by Matts4313
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

That may be true conventionally thinking.  But by all accounts Rodgers is very stubborn and marches to beat of his own drum.

Ricky Williams  left a lot of money because he wanted to smoke weed and be left alone for a bit.  Lots of guys have left money on table for various reasons.  

Rodgers may lose millions by holding out.  But maybe his pride means more to him.

By whose "all accounts" are you basing your stance that Rodgers might be willing to forego hundreds of millions of dollars? We're talking about wayyyy more significant sums of money than other previous players. This is the league MVP staring at a skyrocketing salary cap in a couple years. I really can't believe that some people think him retiring and leaving that kind of money on the table immediately following an MVP season is remotely possible. There are zero account of Aaron Rodgers that suggest or hint he might seriously retire.

39 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

On a side note, I have been arguing on Bears forum that starter reps are better for QB development and getting a lot of push back because of Rodgers and Mahomes example or model of sitting and watching and ending up good.

You get better in sports with quality practice reps.  No one ever wants to sit and watch if it is them making decision.   I think people are arguing from data correlation rather than causation. 

I get that being forced to start before you are ready can hurt someone mentally due to failure.   But you still don't get better at anything by mostly watching or not at same rate as doing with some example.   Think of any skill where that is true - watching is best way.  You get some value from watching of course, but ultimately you need your own hands on experience to properly gain a skill.      

The Love situation is interesting to me because ostensibly by that logic sitting and watching should have made him really ready to play and all I keep hearing is that he really needs reps.

I absolutely agree that "reps" alone do not promote growth or that "practice makes perfect". Because it's true that "perfect practice makes perfect" - he needs high quality practice reps, which he gets when he's on the field with other 21 best players on the team instead of running scout teams. I also think it really depends on the player. Some guys come out of college pretty polished and ready to play quickly. Other guys, for various reasons, are not and benefit from sitting. Love was a project QB coming out, but I don't know where you've seen or heard that he "really needs reps" this offseason. It wouldn't surprise me, he might - but I haven't seen that anywhere this year.

5 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:
1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

However, it borders on ridiculousness to suggest that Rodgers might never play again. Because THAT decision will cost him hundreds of millions of dollars and is entirely nonsensical.

So if he pseudo retires as PFF speculates, Love starts the entire year and he comes back in 2022; do you consider that "nonsensical". He wouldnt be giving up "hundreds of millions of dollars" - - but there is also no way GB can go back to him after starting Love for a year. IE: He would force the Packers to trade or cut him. 

Even if he only "retired" until the week before the trade deadline, it would be pretty crippling to GB. 

What are you arguing?

I clearly said "never play again". Your borrowed story about "pseudo" retiring is not that. You're not even trying to argue my actual point, you're making up a weird, unrealistic scenario I never discussed and trying to frame that as my argument. It's not.

The scenario you mention is dumb. It will never happen so it's pointless to discuss. However, since you apparently want to, nothing about that scenario undercuts anything I said: the team still has full control of Rodgers for 3 more seasons. Sitting out a year costs him $10s of millions, a seasons worth of legacy stats, and leaves him under GB control for another full season he wouldn't have otherwise been. It makes zero sense HE would do that. But, if he's an idiot and he did, GB would just...trade him like they otherwise would have even if he hadn't done that - so nothing changes from the team's perspective whatsoever.

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

What are you arguing?

I clearly said "never play again". Your borrowed story about "pseudo" retiring is not that. You're not even trying to argue my actual point, you're making up a weird, unrealistic scenario I never discussed and trying to frame that as my argument. It's not.

I wasnt arguing. I was posing a scenario for you that I also posed yesterday. 

The scenario you mention is dumb. It will never happen so it's pointless to discuss. However, since you apparently want to, nothing about that scenario undercuts anything I said: the team still has full control of Rodgers for 3 more seasons. Sitting out a year costs him $10s of millions, a seasons worth of legacy stats, and leaves him under GB control for another full season he wouldn't have otherwise been. It makes zero sense HE would do that. But, if he's an idiot and he did, GB would just...trade him like they otherwise would have even if he hadn't done that - so nothing changes from the team's perspective whatsoever.

Why is it dumb?

Why will it never happen? Note - its happened before.

I understand they would still own his rights, but do you think they could go back to him after the 'pseudo retirement'?

"10's of millions" wont matter. He will make most of that up hosting MNF or something. So why doesnt it make sense he would do that if he wants out of GB?

Whats your opinion if he unretires at the trade deadline?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Why is it dumb?

I'm seriously not spending any mental energy explaining why the scenario of Aaron Rodgers "retiring" for one season, losing out on 10s of millions he absolutely will not make up hosting MNF for one season, losing out on a year of legacy-building stats/moments and ending up in the same contract situation, a year older is dumb.

It is self-evident

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I'm seriously not spending any mental energy explaining why the scenario of Aaron Rodgers "retiring" for one season, losing out on 10s of millions he absolutely will not make up hosting MNF for one season, losing out on a year of legacy-building stats/moments and ending up in the same contract situation, a year older is dumb.

It is self-evident

IF something is "self-evident" only to one person, while dozens are pointing out alternative thoughts, maybe its not really "self-evident". Maybe its just extreme homerism by one poster. 

Just a thought. 

Edited by Matts4313
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

IF something is "self-evident" only to one person, while dozens are pointing out alternative thoughts, maybe its not really "self-evident". Maybe its just extreme homerism by one poster. 

Just a thought. 

It's a bad thought. 

Lol @ "dozens"

20 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

It's a bad thought. 

Lol @ "dozens"

You are right. Its probably more like hundreds. See that article was posted to reddit, where hundreds of people of thought that was a plausible (maybe not likely) scenario. Then I clicked it and on PFF there were comments. People there thought it was plausible. Then I posted it here and just by 'likes' alone, you can see that people think its plausible. 

By your escalation of Rodgers contract, I feel like saying its "hundreds of hundreds" is more accurate. 😉

(Just teasing you.)  

9 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

You are right. Its probably more like hundreds. See that article was posted to reddit, where hundreds of people of thought that was a plausible (maybe not likely) scenario. Then I clicked it and on PFF there were comments. People there thought it was plausible. Then I posted it here and just by 'likes' alone, you can see that people think its plausible. 

By your escalation of Rodgers contract, I feel like saying its "hundreds of hundreds" is more accurate. 😉

(Just teasing you.)  

I mean, there are millions of fools out there, so citing "dozens" or "hundreds" of people who "reacted" to a entertainment story as proof of anything is...questionable lol

51 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

I think people underestimate egomaniacs like Rodgers and what they are willing and not willing to do to get their way.

do you think losing out on hundreds of millions of dollars is "getting his way"? or, more importantly, do you think HE thinks that is "getting his way"?

I wholeheartedly agree he wants BAAAAADDDLY to get his way. That's his M.O. However, he doesn't have options beyond showing up to GB, or losing a LOT of money and career legacy. I'm not sure how anyone can view that loss as "getting his way", especially him since it's his money, afterall.